MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ontario's Best Lecturer lorend Academics 17 09-18-2009 10:54 PM
Nick Bontis: Ontario's best lecturer? Chad ARCHIVES 3 04-25-2008 04:28 PM
Ontario's referendum Chad ARCHIVES 0 10-07-2007 10:25 PM
Back to School Sales lorend General Discussion 13 08-01-2007 12:46 PM

has anyone seen this: Ontario's New 13% Harmonized Sales Tax & What It Will Mean To Y

Old 10-29-2009 at 10:27 PM   #31
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
My problem with the HST.... well I have a lot.... but first off it is to CUT COSTS of the old system. If you cut costs, don't you need less revenue to work from? cutting costs from collecting 13% but still collecting 13% means you will have a net increase in revenue from the tax! So already they are better off, then they go and tax things that weren't taxed before! Labour, energy and utilities, the list doesn't stop! I see students paying more in rent and utilities now!

Yes there is a deficit but the government said it was needed to get us through the hard times in the market. Personally I hate government intervention in the market. So they can just suck it up and not charge us more for their "educated decision" to help with the last year.

I also find it hard to be sympathetic that they are not rolling in money since they paid millions upon millions of dollars for E-Health going against their rules that they must go out to tender with the project! They could have saved tons of money but instead they went with the "I know a guy" guy. Also deciding it was legit to pay the public servants higher than the legal wage cap! Not just one but many! Then hiding these wages in the budgets of hospitals and other organizations!!! I don't think we should trust them with any of our money let alone more of it!

Finally I am not against an HST but this model is wack! If you want to standardize consumption taxes do it country wide and get rid of income tax! If you tax more people at a higher rate for purchasing things, but don't take their money before they even see it they are more likely to spend it! and balancing the governments loss on the income tax. Being taxed on money that was already taxed doesnt seem right! Not to mention a consumption tax can't be changed without being noticed, its right on your receipts! But income tax and other charges they add on like the health one can be slipped under your nose.

But that's just my beef with the HST.
Great point! THIS is what SHOULD happen.

Ian Finlay likes this.