MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kin 1Y03/1YY3 HELP cjdzl Academics 3 09-10-2010 09:30 PM
Kin 1y03 and 1yy3 Skye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-29-2010 11:49 PM
Kin 1y03 and 1YY3, help! Lamees Academics 4 08-17-2008 01:49 PM

Has anyone taken Kinesiology 1Y03 and 1YY3?

Old 07-03-2008 at 05:47 PM   #1
Sohaibb

Liked: 0 Times

Has anyone taken Kinesiology 1Y03 and 1YY3?
Hey everyone,

I am going into my first year of life sciences at Mcmaster this september. I am wondering if anyone took Kines 1Y03 and/or 1YY3? There are no reviews posted on it so I was hoping someone could tell me how they liked it? Also, 1YY3 would be one of my choices as an elective if I took it first year. Most people say go with an easy elective, but I find that I do well in what I enjoy. So could anyone give me some thoughts on these two courses?

Thanks,

Sohaib.
Old 07-04-2008 at 10:55 AM   #2
Sohaibb

Im not sure if we are allowed to bump threads or not, but my 7 days of SOLAR access are running low so I am hoping someone with the answer will stumble on this post before that.
Old 07-05-2008 at 06:52 PM   #3
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I've never taken this set before, but from what I've heard it's quite a bit of memorization, and it requires that you really keep up with the material. I'm not sure whether it would necessarily be considered an "easy elective", but I'm pretty sure that if you like the material, it will be worth taking.

Note that there are labs every other week and weekly quizzes...check out a previous course outline:

http://www.mcmaster.ca/kinesiology/u...outli nes.cfm

Sohaibb says thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 07-05-2008 at 07:35 PM   #4
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohaibb View Post
Hey everyone,

I am going into my first year of life sciences at Mcmaster this september. I am wondering if anyone took Kines 1Y03 and/or 1YY3? There are no reviews posted on it so I was hoping someone could tell me how they liked it? Also, 1YY3 would be one of my choices as an elective if I took it first year. Most people say go with an easy elective, but I find that I do well in what I enjoy. So could anyone give me some thoughts on these two courses?

Thanks,

Sohaib.
Hey Sohaib, I just finished my first year and I did take both these courses as it was a requirement for Medical Radiation Sciences.

I personally enjoyed both these courses because it was pretty interesting. We went through most of the human body systems, in detail kind of, but we didn't really go through every single detail in the textbook. The professor(s) would only cover what they think we should know, but that was still a huge amount of material.

Although a lot was covered and a lot of 'memorization' was required, we had weekly quizzes on Fridays that tested us on everything that was covered during the 2 lectures that week. So it wasn't cumulative. It helped me keep up with all the material -- good for the final exam!

Then there's biweekly labs. When you don't have a lab, you'll have your tutorial. Attendance is not mandatory for the tutorials, but it is for the labs. Before each lab, you'll have to complete a Lab Quiz that prepares you for it and that'll be graded. You receive the Lab Quiz mark ONLY if you show up to your lab! The labs were pretty interesting and no lab reports have to be done! Just show up to get your 'lab' (QUIZ!) mark! =) There's cadavers you can observe, dissections, real human specimens, etc. It was the MOST interesting part of both these courses!

The exam, unlike many other courses, is worth a total of 60%, yes, even with all those weekly quizzes and lab quizzes! But it wasn't bad because like anything else, if you find it interesting, you enjoy it and you put in the effort then you'll do perfectly fine.

Oh yeah, and if you do happen to take these two courses and you've got Dr. Parise as your prof, you'll looove it! He's an awesome prof =)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by eycc11 : 07-05-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Sohaibb says thanks to eycc11 for this post.

rache088 likes this.
Old 07-08-2008 at 01:33 PM   #5
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Hey I was wondering, since the exam is 60 perecent did you find that you got the same mark on the exam as your test averagee.. or was it hardd/?
THANKS
Old 07-08-2008 at 01:49 PM   #6
eycc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
Hey I was wondering, since the exam is 60 perecent did you find that you got the same mark on the exam as your test averagee.. or was it hardd/?
THANKS
For me, it was about the same if not better. The profs know it's a lot of material to cover and they are fair. Well, the profs I had were Dr. Parise and Dr. MacDonald. I can't say the same for ALL profs..
Old 07-08-2008 at 07:24 PM   #7
bauhaual

I took this course two years ago. It's a bit different now but not much. I'm also in the MedRad program and I really really enjoyed these classes. They were my favourite classes to go to. Dr. Parise is an awesome awesome prof...he's so funny - i think he even has his own facebook fan page hahaha. The only thing not so great about this class is the huge class size, but other than that I think it's definately worth taking!!!
Old 07-08-2008 at 08:39 PM   #8
precious

Liked: 1 Time

how big are the kin classes on average?
Old 07-08-2008 at 09:44 PM   #9
eycc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by precious View Post
how big are the kin classes on average?
There was only 1 section last year and I believe it had about 450 students.

Although I'm not too sure since I've only been to my own lab sections both terms, but on average, I think there was probably about 30 or so students each lab. It really depends on the time of your lab and such because not everyone has the same schedule...like I know there was one lab that only had 20 or so students, mostly MedRads.

As for the tutorials, you either go to the first hour or the second hour of your lab time. (Labs and tutorials alternate weekly.) So each tutorial should have about half the number of students in your lab, but in my experience, most people don't show up to the tutorials anyway -- partly because it's not mandatory, so the classroom's pretty empty during the tutorials. But in any case, the TA will still be there to help anyone who does happen to show up and need help.

Hope that helps!

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about those numbers up there!)
Old 07-09-2008 at 05:59 AM   #10
precious

Liked: 1 Time

wow, 450 ppl in one lecture. Thats pretty had to imagine.
Anyways, thanks eycc11
Old 07-09-2008 at 09:24 PM   #11
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

450 is the average size of a first year lecture.