MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Switch from Lifesci to health sci program by 2nd year?? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 07-06-2010 08:36 PM
Health and Aging Program Ansa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 01-11-2010 11:52 PM
Health Science?/Studies? Not the program, the course Alchemist11 Academics 7 12-23-2009 12:34 AM

Is health sci the best program at Mcmaster?

Old 03-07-2011 at 11:53 PM   #1
ragedevil67

Liked: 1 Time

Is health sci the best program at Mcmaster?
So I've been doing a bit of research myself and it seems to be me that mcmaster health sci is the only prestigious program at Mac. Is this true? I applied to both life sci and health sci at Mac but I've heard that life sci at mac is pretty mediocre.
Old 03-07-2011 at 11:57 PM   #2
Mikob11
Account Locked

Liked: 60 Times

I'm in a prestigious program. It's called Call of Duty: Black Ops.

I r Babboon likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 12:01 AM   #3
tigerize8

Liked: 7 Times

xD uh oh.

i think mac in general is 'known for its science and engineering faculties'
although i think psychology is pretty awesome too
and there are some pretty AMAZING profs in all faculties

wrt to hsc vs lifesci vs integrated science
xD imo integrated science has kinda taken the place of "most prestigious" at mac; i mean seriously those kids work so hard >.< its unbelievable.
not saying that other people don't work as hard xD just in comparison to my own work load i guess

XD lifesci and hsc have completely different atmospheres; dunno about hsc but lifesci can get a bit "claustrophobic/competitive" which i kinda hate but i guess it teaches you something.... but i mean in the end it doesn't even matter that much because before you start 2nd year you'll probably specialize/be in a different program [wrt to lifesci anyway]

and if you still care about stuff like that by thn.... xD yaaaaaaaa...

Old 03-08-2011 at 12:28 AM   #4
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedevil67 View Post
So I've been doing a bit of research myself and it seems to be me that mcmaster health sci is the only prestigious program at Mac. Is this true? I applied to both life sci and health sci at Mac but I've heard that life sci at mac is pretty mediocre.
You're a ****in idiot.

fraunbea, karna, xxsumz, _Luu_ all say thanks to RememberTwce for this post.

fraunbea, macsci, sycoman, webzn like this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 12:43 AM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
oh dear god you're dumb.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

fraunbea, karna, L'Étoile, xxsumz, _Luu_ all say thanks to Rayine for this post.

Old 03-08-2011 at 12:46 AM   #6
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Shut the **** up.

karna, sycoman, xxsumz, _Luu_ all say thanks to Rakim for this post.
Old 03-08-2011 at 12:52 AM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Two problems here...
Your research into programs indicates you have not looked past 1st year as you do not refer to any program specializations.

Most Canadian universities are quite prestigious. In fact, I believe UofT, UBC and McGill are some of the most prestiguous as ranked by Macleans. I'm just curious why you haven't considered those, if the name and weight of the university are your most pressing concerns.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-08-2011 at 01:05 AM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

tough crowd.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 01:30 AM   #9
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

If you were trying to ask for a direct comparison b/w heath sci and life sci, I can try to help out:

I'm in life sciences and we take more general science courses. Health sci take more specific courses but you see other health sciences students that take the same courses taken by life sci students (ex. calc)
I know there is group work in health sciences, prob more than other programs. I'm pretty sure that once you make it in health sci, your chance of getting into a professional school is higher than say, other programs at another universities. So yes, McMaster Health Sciences is a well known program but Mac has other good programs such as Social Work, Engineering, and more. Life Sciences is a strong program too (I may be bised) but the way how I see it, many life sciences students are good enough to be in health sciences but they just weren't "lucky" enough to get accepted. Getting into Health Sciences is more luck than anything.

McMaster may not be prestigious as UofT but it has its own identity. Campus is very nice (much better than McGill...how can you focus at McGill? seriously, there are so many things in Downtown Montreal) and Mac campus has this fresh feel to it even though it is a university with history. "Most" People are generally nice and willing to help. It is classic place to be. I think that speaks for itself.

Last edited by jeboi7 : 03-08-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2011 at 01:35 AM   #10
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Speculation =/= research.

Last edited by Watoko : 03-08-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2011 at 01:39 AM   #11
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

MacKin is one of the best Kin programs in Canada and if more people actually knew Kin was more than gym class I'm pretty sure it'd be up there with iSci, Health Sci and Arts and Sci as "prestigious" programs.

JonC89 likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 02:52 AM   #12
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

arghhhhhhh im gonna kick this guys ass when he gets here

L'Étoile says thanks to MCHEDDENITE for this post.

L'Étoile, Mikob11 like this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 05:26 AM   #13
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
... life sci at mac is pretty mediocre.
You insulted like 1/3 of McMaster students .

gmoney likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 06:39 AM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
I hope you don't go into research post-grad..

Health sci is more for people going into the healthcare field (medschool etc) and lifesci is more of the science and research end of health sciences (although it doesn't mean one can't do the other).
Old 03-08-2011 at 07:31 AM   #15
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Grads of Mac's undergrad social work program sometimes will beat out people who hold a masters degree for the same job. Last year we had 250 people apply and about 70 people got admission. If I'm not mistaken it's the only level 2 program that requires a written examination to get into. If you're doing it as you're first degree you also do a BA, having to take 36 units a year, instead of 30. And you graduate with two degrees. We also have one of the best undergraduate field education programs in the country. So yeah, health sci is definitely the only respected program at McMaster

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)