MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Switch from Lifesci to health sci program by 2nd year?? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 07-06-2010 08:36 PM
Health and Aging Program Ansa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 01-11-2010 11:52 PM
Health Science?/Studies? Not the program, the course Alchemist11 Academics 7 12-23-2009 12:34 AM

Is health sci the best program at Mcmaster?

Old 03-08-2011 at 08:17 AM   #16
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Let's assume for a moment that you're right about life science not being "prestigious" (and that the 'prestige' is well-defined). It doesn't follow that health science is the only prestigious program at Mac. Have you looked into, say, social work, religious studies, physics, mathematics, psychology, etc.? Those are all pretty highly ranked nationally...

Anyway, 'prestige' isn't a particularly accurate gauge of academic quality. I'm pretty sure Mac is decently ranked for it's life sci program, but that shouldn't really motivate you to enroll in it.

Old 03-08-2011 at 08:21 AM   #17
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Why do you care about prestige of the program? You do realize in that in the end you're just going to get a Bachelor of Science or Health Science right? To be honest, there's not MUCH difference, you would have a tough time getting a job with a BSc or BHSc. Typically you need to go a little further with a masters or professional school. If professional school is what you're looking for (Medicine, law, dentistry etc) then IT DOES NOT MATTER where you did your undergrad. In science, your undergrad is essentially useless, you learn important skills that will help you later on but you probably won't remember what you learned...

It's all about the marks if you want to go on into professional school. So you can go to any university, Ryerson, Brock etc. etc. for a science degree and still get into professional schools as long as you have the marks. So prestige of program should be the last thing you're concerned about.

Also, don't post things like "is health sci the only prestigious program on a Mcmaster discussion forum. You're going to piss people off.

AlexBatt says thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 03-08-2011 at 08:32 AM   #18
noface

Liked: 7 Times

dont worry OP these kids just mad cause the program they b in is not as PRESTIGIOUS as health science l0o0ol look at these haters hatin cuz they applied to health science but had to settle with life science cuz they 2 dumb haters gonna hate

Last edited by noface : 03-08-2011 at 08:41 AM.

bebit, RyanC like this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 08:33 AM   #19
thetmlz

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedevil67 View Post
So I've been doing a bit of research myself and it seems to be me that mcmaster health sci is the only prestigious program at Mac. Is this true? I applied to both life sci and health sci at Mac but I've heard that life sci at mac is pretty mediocre.
Suck my dick!!!
Old 03-08-2011 at 08:34 AM   #20
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

The troll here could not be more blatant yet...

facepalm.jpg

Old 03-08-2011 at 09:19 AM   #21
lux

Liked: 318 Times

wow don't push it. Actually your 'i'm better than everyone else' attitude makes me think that you belong in health sci, those trouble causing tallywags.
Old 03-08-2011 at 09:47 AM   #22
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

What defines a "good program"? Clearly everyone has something different they want to get out of their degree, it just depends on what you want.
Old 03-08-2011 at 10:26 AM   #23
JasonMcGuirk

Liked: 14 Times

Stop fighting...
Old 03-08-2011 at 11:34 AM   #24
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Short answer, no it's not. It all depends on what you enjoy and how you function. I love the program. But at the same time some of my favourite courses have been from other faculties.

As for prestige, as others mentioned, if you really care that much, go to McGill, or better yet Harvard or Oxford.

Last edited by crazyfree : 03-08-2011 at 11:39 AM.

terrafirma, Watoko like this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 11:35 AM   #25
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Short answer, no it's not. It all depends on what you enjoy and how you function. I love the program. But at the same time some of my favourite courses have been from other faculties.

As for prestige, as others mentioned, if you really care that much, go to McGill, or better yet an Harvard or Oxford.
...first person on this thread who's actually from Health Sci. o_o;;
Old 03-08-2011 at 11:45 AM   #26
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Well in my experience this is how MacInsiders Health Sci threads work

"Disguised Life Sci makes arrogant/controversial post about health sci's"--> This post gives the opportunity for pages of health sci bashing --> Rarely any health sci's actually comment or post --> 50 Life Sci's make insecure posts about how good their own program is" --> random guy making up a stat that the number of Health's Sci's getting into med school is decreasing exponentially --> The cycle continues.

Here's an idea, how about appreciate the program you're in, instead of desperately trying to justify a desire to go into another by bashing it. Honestly most of the Health Sci's I know are some of the most modest kind people out there. These unnecessary attacks online are just sad.

aani, paperplanes like this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 11:47 AM   #27
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerowns View Post
Well in my experience this is how MacInsiders Health Sci threads work

"Disguised Life Sci makes arrogant/controversial post about health sci's"--> This post gives the opportunity for pages of health sci bashing --> Rarely any health sci's actually comment or post --> 50 Life Sci's make insecure posts about how good their own program is" --> random guy making up a stat that the number of Health's Sci's getting into med school is decreasing exponentially --> The cycle continues.

Here's an idea, how about appreciate the program you're in, instead of desperately trying to justify a desire to go into another by bashing it. Honestly most of the Health Sci's I know are some of the most modest kind people out there. These unnecessary attacks online are just sad.
^ Actually true. I find that people in Mac that you see face-to-face are generally nicer than people hiding behind their internet facades. lol
Old 03-08-2011 at 12:38 PM   #28
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
^ Actually true. I find that people in Mac that you see face-to-face are generally nicer than people hiding behind their internet facades. lol
hope thats true because ive been gettin lot of haters on hear lol
Old 03-08-2011 at 12:52 PM   #29
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

at the end of the day, your degree is going to say the same thing written on hundreds of other peoples as well. pick a school that you'll actually like - rather than what you feel is the most liked.
Old 03-08-2011 at 12:58 PM   #30
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't think a program being "prestigious" is really going to help you at all. I doubt many grad schools or employers differentiate between unviersities. The important things are your grades, your research, your experience, etc. Take whatever program you find more interesting and the program that leads you to the job you want.

5 years from now, I guarantee you won't care that you didn't pick the more "prestigious" program.