MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Switch from Lifesci to health sci program by 2nd year?? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 07-06-2010 08:36 PM
Health and Aging Program Ansa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 01-11-2010 11:52 PM
Health Science?/Studies? Not the program, the course Alchemist11 Academics 7 12-23-2009 12:34 AM

Is health sci the best program at Mcmaster?

Old 03-08-2011 at 01:28 PM   #31
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

health sci is overrated. Probably the easiest program on campus. So easy that it would be hard to find a job with only a B.Hsc degree unless you go to med school.

Scuderia likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 02:20 PM   #32
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
hope thats true because ive been gettin lot of haters on hear lol
...no clue why that could be.

Old 03-08-2011 at 04:04 PM  
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 03-08-2011 at 04:30 PM   #33
I r Babboon
Account Locked

Liked: 37 Times

Humanities is the most prestigious program. XD
Old 03-08-2011 at 04:36 PM   #34
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
Hey engiqueer? could it be possible that they are doing the B.Hsc in order to get into medschool, as opposed to looking for a job right away.

sheesh.

/endsarcasm
lol imagine health sci people who don't get into any professional school.. they would be screwed..

but seriously, health sci is like a second high school diploma..
Old 03-08-2011 at 04:41 PM   #35
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

health sciences suck ass ... just saying okbye

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Scuderia likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 04:53 PM   #36
bebit

Liked: 0 Times

i bet if a random person was to come up to any of you and ask whats the most pretigious program at mac you would all say health science and you know it!

Last edited by bebit : 03-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2011 at 05:12 PM   #37
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

When I think prestigious programs at MAC, I think of our med school. It's just a natural association to put health sciences and med school hand and hand. So no, I don't feel health sciences is our most prestigious program, I just feel it's riding off the fame of our med school. If anything, MAC ENG is our best known undergraduate program

Quote:
Originally Posted by I r Babboon View Post
Humanities is the most prestigious program. XD
I'm sorry, but your username really doesn't help your viewpoint.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 05:18 PM   #38
Furgazi

Liked: 22 Times

I've heard that the labour studies program at McMaster is one of the best in Ontario, not sure how credible that is though. I've also heard social work being one as well.

jamescw1234, Mahratta like this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 05:24 PM   #39
Revolution1

Liked: 77 Times

Health Science is considered the most prestigious program at Mac, because it is quite difficult to get into. It is also the undergrad program in Canada that is most often "associated" with medical school, which has elevated its status, since so many undergrads want to become doctors. The OP seems like one of those typical narrow-minded, brainwashed kids whose goal is to find a program that will make it easier for them to get into medical school. It's pretty ignorant of him/her to dismiss other programs as worthless. I bet that he/she doesn't even know that Life Science is a general first year program that can lead to many different degree programs in second year, one of which is the Honous Life Science degree.
I actually have more respect for students who excel in programs like Chemistry, Math, Engineering, and even English (since we all know how subjective the marking is in English courses) than those who do well in Health Sciences.

Last edited by Revolution1 : 03-08-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2011 at 05:27 PM   #40
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebit View Post
i bet if a random person was to come up to any of you and ask whats the most pretigious program at mac you would all say health science and you know it!
Not necessarily. Mac has an amazing Engineering program, and apparently has one of the best Religious Studies programs in the country. The Social Work/Labour Studies programs are pretty impressive as well.

jamescw1234 likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 06:00 PM   #41
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Also, Life Sci isn't just a place for the health sci rejects...a lot of people CHOSE life sci, myself included. Reasons for doing so vary.
Yes, Mac health sci is a prestigious program; there are also many people at Mac (both students and faculty) who think this should not be the case, and many faculty members are biased against health sci students when they apply for things like research positions. Prestigious =/= best. There is no universal 'best' program at Mac. It entirely depends what you want out of your degree. You could take the most prestigious/well-known law school in the world (for example), and it would be absolutely useless for someone who wants to be an engineer.

murgling likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 06:04 PM   #42
murgling

Liked: 20 Times

You know what, I was talking to my brother's friend who goes to Humber the other day and she was like "You go to Mac right? Wow you are sooooo smart." She doesn't know what program I'm in.

As much as a university degree is diluted these days, we're still in a minority of the post-secondary population. So the whole "my university is better than yours" is pretty much just for those students in university and anybody else doesn't give a crap. And IMHO, the only people who have the right to compare between any two universities/programs/faculties/whatever is a person who has experience in both areas.

At the end of the day, who gives a rat's ***** whose program is better than the other. Health Sci at Mac 90%+ avg cool. Life Sci at Mac this year likely cut off is 88%-89% cool. Eng at Mac, awesome. Humanities at mac, awesome. Shall I go on?

tl;dr
Elitism = Perceived as huge a$$hole = No friends in university even if you think you were at the "top of your game" in high school.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 06:23 PM   #43
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgling View Post
As much as a university degree is diluted these days, we're still in a minority of the post-secondary population. So the whole "my university is better than yours" is pretty much just for those students in university and anybody else doesn't give a crap ...
A little off topic, but I think this is an important point that a lot of people don't know about. So many university students think their degrees aren't good enough and that they need to get a Masters, PhD, go to Law School, Med School, etc. But only 25% of highschool graduates go onto post-secondary education. Only 25%!
So "this program/school is better than that program/school" is almost pointless when you look at how many people actually attend and care about postsecondary education.