MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mock Timetable vs. Assigned Timetable Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2010 01:57 PM
Mock timetable... Advice Please! kgrun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-24-2010 07:19 PM
Mock Timetable vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 06-24-2010 10:10 AM
Could someone please check my mock timetable? + Tutorial question katherinelew First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 06-13-2010 08:26 PM
Another mock timetable... oranges First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-07-2010 02:44 PM

Help, can anyone check my mock timetable, please !

Old 07-14-2010 at 10:40 PM   #1
ruby101

Liked: 5 Times

Help, can anyone check my mock timetable, please !
Hey everyone,
I am coming to McMaster this Sep. Can anyone help me to check my mock timetable and give me some advices about my choices of courses, time, profs..., please.
Attached Files
File Type: xls TIMETABLE.xls (19.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 07-14-2010 at 10:54 PM   #2
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

As far as timing goes, that seems pretty manageable to me. Back-to-back classes are really not that big of problem when it comes to getting to your next class; it's easy to get to and from the main buildings on campus in 10 minutes.

Classes, on the other hand.....well. I know very little about your selection; nothing but weird classes for me.

ruby101 says thanks to Shmowen for this post.
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:41 PM   #3
ruby101

My selected courses are weird classes for you so do u think it is hard for me to take those weird classes ? I don't know much about those courses. I'm taking them just because they are math courses. This is my first year , actually I don't know anything about university. What did u take as your electives in your first year ?
Old 07-16-2010 at 12:24 PM   #4
amitoj

Liked: 15 Times

Wait. Did you get a mock timetable from Mac or did you construct it by yourself? Just curious.

ruby101 says thanks to amitoj for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 12:51 PM   #5
ayiri

Liked: 7 Times

hey there!

It seems like ur taking a lot of math courses for commerce, are u planning on minoring in it? or transfering into science after first year?

If not then its only recommended that u take Math 1M03, which is calculus for business, socsci and the humanities. Unless u love math then go ahead, but i think it would be nice if possible to vary up your schedule more and take some electives other than math.

Also you have 6 courses in Term 2. As it is your first year, i would recommend only taking 5 first term and 5 second term. If after first term, you think u could handle 6 classes in the second term, then u can still add an extra course at a later date. But i would advise against it, just to make it easier on yourself.

good luck!

ruby101 says thanks to ayiri for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 12:54 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Your timetable looks like a breeze (semester 1)!!! Lots of time for you to study and get involved. Good luck!

But wait, you're only taking 4 courses first semester! You should do 5 and 5.

Also, Marikova is not a very good professor for Math 1A03, you should switch to a section with Haskell.

Second semester looks good as well.

Last edited by macsci : 07-16-2010 at 12:58 PM.

ruby101 says thanks to macsci for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 01:00 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

One of the easiest schedules I have ever seen, you will be fine and looks decent

ruby101 says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 02:12 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Wait. Did you get a mock timetable from Mac or did you construct it by yourself? Just curious.
McMaster doesn't make mock timetables for you. They will give you your official timetable on August 9th.

ruby101 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 02:33 PM   #9
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby101 View Post
My selected courses are weird classes for you so do u think it is hard for me to take those weird classes ? I don't know much about those courses. I'm taking them just because they are math courses. This is my first year , actually I don't know anything about university. What did u take as your electives in your first year ?
Well by "weird classes" I just meant that I am taking, and have taken, classes that have very few dedicated students who are majoring in them. (ie, most of the students in my classes are not anthropology or linguistics majors)

What I am assuming you're asking is whether or not you should take a lot of math courses. Since I'm mainly an archaeology/linguistics kind of a guy, I really don't have much to say in terms of what to expect in those classes; I'm arithmetically challenged, in other words. But if you're good at that sort of thing, then of course, take math classes.

In first-year I took all Humanities courses, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone; I thought I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do even at the beginning of Grade 12, but after first-year, I switched from Honours Classics to my current program. However, since I took only Humanities classes, I had to take some summer classes in order to catch up and be admitted to my present specialization. As a result, I would recommend taking 2-3 courses from your desired program, and then take some courses from other disciplines. This may sound like some overly-sappy and useless advice, but it is true that you have know idea what may perk your interest after first year - it could something you never even considered before coming to university.

Of course, this is my experience; for all I know no one else has gone through an experience even remotely similar, so........ya........d on't take advice too seriously. (Including advice to not take advice too seriously)

ruby101 says thanks to Shmowen for this post.
Old 07-16-2010 at 09:16 PM   #10
ruby101

Thanks everyone . I am not planning on minoring in Math, and also not transfering into science after first year but I have nothing else to take. I just think Math courses will be easier to handle than writing or science classes . Some of my selected courses were full or not opened in first term , so I have to take 6 courses in second term. I really want to switch Econ 1BB3 to first term but it's always full. If someone is planning to drop it , please let me know. )