MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mock Timetable vs. Assigned Timetable Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2010 01:57 PM
Help, can anyone check my mock timetable, please ! ruby101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-16-2010 09:16 PM
Mock timetable... Advice Please! kgrun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-24-2010 07:19 PM
Another mock timetable... oranges First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-07-2010 02:44 PM
How To Make A Mock Timetable feonateresa ARCHIVES 8 08-23-2009 02:05 PM

Mock Timetable

Old 06-06-2010 at 10:35 AM   #1
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

Mock Timetable
Hey everyone. I will be0 a first year student in september and I made a mock timetable. If you have time can you look over it and give me advise please? All suggestions are welcomed. Also any information about the professors will also be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: xls McMaster 2010-2011 Mock Timetable.xls (37.5 KB, 345 views)
Old 06-06-2010 at 11:41 AM   #2
anthony

Liked: 7 Times

Good job. I need to take the time to make a mock timetable. Just a question: Doesn't SOLAR automatically make a timetable for you? Or can you decide to make your own?

vp15 says thanks to anthony for this post.
Old 06-06-2010 at 12:02 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

You choose your own cores, and SOLAR does choose the tutorials and labs for you --- but you can still switch the times around.

As for the timetable, if you can avoid really long days, like your Wednesday in Term 1, that would be preferable. Long days can just zap energy out of you, and you don't feel like going to the classes later in the day. And try to avoid all the breaks inbetween classes too. Otherwise it looks good. :]

vp15 says thanks to feonateresa for this post.

vp15 likes this.
Old 06-06-2010 at 12:07 PM   #4
gabriela.05

Yeah, it looks like you have a good idea of what and when your courses may be- just keep in mind though that for tutorials, you may not get the exact tutorial slot you want, they select one randomly wherever it will fit in your schedule(which may not suit you).
After your schedule is made however, you can alter your tutorials to where you want it to be through solar - although it may be full there is no guarantee.

good luck !!

vp15 says thanks to gabriela.05 for this post.

vp15 likes this.
Old 06-06-2010 at 12:09 PM   #5
anthony

I want to make timetable but I don't think I will get into MMEDIA 1B03. So that would offset the whole thing.
Old 06-06-2010 at 12:14 PM   #6
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Hey,

I looked at your timetable and everything seems pretty compact, especially for 2nd term, so good job. You are way ahead in terms of planning your courses.

But I noticed that you are taking Physics 1L03 in 2nd term. Given that this physics is considered an introductory physics course or a more dumbed down version of Physics 1B03 (it doesn't require gr.12 physics), I would suggest switching those two courses around so that Physics 1L03 is in first term and Physics 1B03 is in second term if that is possible. Itjust seems like a more natural progression and if physics is not your strongest subject, it would be good to get the basics down really well.

Last edited by R.L. : 06-06-2010 at 12:20 PM.

vp15 says thanks to R.L. for this post.

crys.eg likes this.
Old 06-06-2010 at 12:18 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony View Post
I want to make timetable but I don't think I will get into MMEDIA 1B03. So that would offset the whole thing.
Have a back-up. :] I had like four last year lol.
Old 06-06-2010 at 12:25 PM   #8
anthony

I suppose
Old 06-06-2010 at 12:52 PM   #9
joanne_507

Liked: 0 Times

hey, it looks good. but i think there's something wrong with your chem 1A03. i took it too and i believe the cores are mon wed and fri, not thurs. i suggest you have a look over that.

vp15 says thanks to joanne_507 for this post.
Old 06-06-2010
vp15
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-06-2010 at 02:23 PM   #10
vp15

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony View Post
I think that you should make two drafts one with that course and one without because then you will be prepared for things whether you get in or not. Making the timetable is really helpful cause it makes you feel prepared and excited. Also when there are a lot of other thing to worry about, why put this load with all of that too which is why its better to get this out of the way.
Old 06-06-2010 at 02:28 PM   #11
vp15

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.L. View Post
Hey,

I looked at your timetable and everything seems pretty compact, especially for 2nd term, so good job. You are way ahead in terms of planning your courses.

But I noticed that you are taking Physics 1L03 in 2nd term. Given that this physics is considered an introductory physics course or a more dumbed down version of Physics 1B03 (it doesn't require gr.12 physics), I would suggest switching those two courses around so that Physics 1L03 is in first term and Physics 1B03 is in second term if that is possible. Itjust seems like a more natural progression and if physics is not your strongest subject, it would be good to get the basics down really well.
Thank you. I wanted to take Physics 1LO3 in first term but it conflicts with my CHEM 1AO3 and although I can change my chem, the thing is I heard that Dr. Lock is a very good professor and when I did the research about profs before hand it felt like the others couldn't compare. Which was why I was thinking that I'll just deal with the Physics. I like your idea though and thanks for the input, maybe you can tell me about the other professors who teach CHEM who are Landry and Dumont and then I can decide whether I should change the courses around.
Old 06-06-2010 at 02:30 PM   #12
vp15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne_507 View Post
hey, it looks good. but i think there's something wrong with your chem 1A03. i took it too and i believe the cores are mon wed and fri, not thurs. i suggest you have a look over that.
hey i just noticed thatt. thank you for pointing it out so that i can make the necessary changes i must make. hope to see you in that core in the future =)
Old 06-06-2010 at 02:36 PM   #13
vp15

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
You choose your own cores, and SOLAR does choose the tutorials and labs for you --- but you can still switch the times around.

As for the timetable, if you can avoid really long days, like your Wednesday in Term 1, that would be preferable. Long days can just zap energy out of you, and you don't feel like going to the classes later in the day. And try to avoid all the breaks inbetween classes too. Otherwise it looks good. :]
Okay Ill look into this, but don't you get tired when you have 4-5 hours of classes straight. On Wednesday the first two are classes the remaining is a tutorial and a lab so do you still think this is bad cause I was finding it hard to schedule around and thanks for your input =).
Old 06-06-2010 at 02:47 PM   #14
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
Thank you. I wanted to take Physics 1LO3 in first term but it conflicts with my CHEM 1AO3 and although I can change my chem, the thing is I heard that Dr. Lock is a very good professor and when I did the research about profs before hand it felt like the others couldn't compare. Which was why I was thinking that I'll just deal with the Physics. I like your idea though and thanks for the input, maybe you can tell me about the other professors who teach CHEM who are Landry and Dumont and then I can decide whether I should change the courses around.
Well, I've never had Dumont or Landry but I have had Locke and she is arguably one of the best profs. in the science department so I completely understand where you are coming from.

Jeff Landry is the 1st year lab coordinator so I don't know anything about his teaching style and I have never heard of Dumont.

I hope you get into Locke's section because the majority want to get into her class and it ends up being full! Sorry I can't help you much more.