MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Undergraduate Research Poster Session - Nov 11, 12-2 deangrad MacInsiders Announcements 8 11-15-2009 02:38 PM
Research Study Recruitment Affect_Sci Academics 0 11-04-2009 08:56 PM
On a random note: Research Interests Everyone? huzaifa47 General Discussion 7 07-26-2009 04:12 PM
Summer Undergrad Research MrFryingFish Academics 4 04-24-2009 08:33 AM

Help Getting into Research?

Old 12-01-2009 at 05:36 PM   #1
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Help Getting into Research?
I'm looking to get into some research either this summer or next summer in the Faculty of Science.

Anyone know how it get into it/has done it before? If it matters, I'd like to do something along the lines of Biology or Health, but Psychology or Chemistry would be interesting too.

It's a minefield on the website, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there.

I realize it's pretty ambitious, being in Year I, but I can try, eh?
Old 12-01-2009 at 06:28 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I'm looking to get into some research either this summer or next summer in the Faculty of Science.

Anyone know how it get into it/has done it before? If it matters, I'd like to do something along the lines of Biology or Health, but Psychology or Chemistry would be interesting too.

It's a minefield on the website, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there.

I realize it's pretty ambitious, being in Year I, but I can try, eh?
Isn't there a chemistry thing that is advertised to first years? One of my buddies did that... I think you apply in term 2 and it's based on your grades and an interview. You get paid too and it's done in the summer. For others you can check OSCAR which could have postings... though maybe a bit later for summer jobs. Also it can't hurt to email someone who's research you are interested in to volunteer. Anyways, maybe some more experienced people can reply? I'd like to know too
Old 12-01-2009 at 07:29 PM   #3
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

if you got any 12s in your classes, ask the profs if theyre gonna have anything available.
Old 12-01-2009 at 07:41 PM   #4
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I would definitely look into OSCAR during the spring term, as well as the McWork program. Because you are only in your first year, NSERC is not available to you if you're looking into the biology department. However, if your average is 10.5 (as a level 2, 3 or 4 student), I would strongly recommend you look into it (I've done it twice at Mac and it's a good learning opportunity!).

https://oscar.mcmaster.ca/mcauth/
http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html
http://www.biology.mcmaster. ca/scholar_award.htm