Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Poster Rules J-Met General Discussion 7 04-22-2010 09:34 PM
Poster Sale scott000 General Discussion 2 09-22-2008 07:38 PM
Poster sale madison817 General Discussion 6 09-26-2007 11:06 AM
Poster Sale! AdamF Anime & Comic Books 4 10-16-2006 03:17 PM

Undergraduate Research Poster Session - Nov 11, 12-2

Undergraduate Research Poster Session - Nov 11th 12pm-2pm

Full disclosure: I am not a student, I am the Associate Vice-President and Dean, Graduate Studies

Behind every great faculty researcher is ... a motivated, creative, and talented undergraduate student. Come see some of these students in action at our annual Undergraduate Summer Research Award (USRA) poster session: Wednesday, Nov 11, 12-2, MUSC Marketplace.

Students from across campus will present the results of their summer research projects. Learn about: the culture of Indigenous craft making in Peru, how paper based biosensors can detect E. coli, how baby bats identify their moms, how chemistry can help the environment, how ancient Japanese traditions can improve our medical care, how self-esteem relates to sex drive, and more.

You also can learn how to apply to become a USRA researcher yourself. These prestigious awards provide selected undergraduate students with financial support for 15-16 weeks of full-time, research-based activity over the summer.

The event, organized by the School of Graduate Studies, is free and open to the public, and refreshments will be provided.

Hope to see you there!
-- Allison Sekuler

lorend says thanks to deangrad for this post.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-10-2009 at 06:25 PM   #2
deangrad

Liked: 10 Times
Did I mention refreshments will be served? plus you might get good material for "Overheard at McMaster" ;-)

Last edited by deangrad : 11-10-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typo

lorend says thanks to deangrad for this post.

lorend, Taunton, ~*Sara*~ like this.

Old 11-11-2009 at 05:55 PM   #3
deangrad

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=6467

Everyone in the picture on the Daily News looks really sad, like they shared too much of their enthusiasm, but it was a wonderful event. Thanks to all who attended, and thanks to the amazing students who presented their work.

lorend likes this.

Old 11-11-2009 at 06:17 PM   #4
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
I missed out on getting information about the summer scholarship today, is there anyone I can contact?

Old 11-11-2009 at 09:17 PM   #5
deangrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
I missed out on getting information about the summer scholarship today, is there anyone I can contact?
We'll be posting a link from the SGS homepage shortly - check back in the next day or two. Depending on whether you are interested in an NSERC award, or one of the internal USRAs sponsored by A&S, Humanities, Social Sciences, or DSB, there are different application processes.

The latest info re: URLs I have is:

NSERC:
http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Student...A-BRPC_eng.asp
Deadline: for receipt of application by the student’s department, varies, often late January/early February

Social Sciences:
http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/EE/E...ents_usra.html
Deadline: February 3, 2010

Humanities:
http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/awards/usra.html
Deadline: February 3, 2010

Arts & Science:
http://mcmaster.ca/artsci/registered_students/USRA.htm
Deadline: March 27, 2010

I don't have an updated URL for the DSB info yet.

Hope this helps!

Fight0 says thanks to deangrad for this post.

Old 11-11-2009 at 09:28 PM   #6
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times
I've always wondered what "a cumulative average of at least second class" meant in the context of NSERC at mcmaster. I assume it's a B?

Old 11-11-2009 at 11:23 PM   #7
deangrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanel View Post
I've always wondered what "a cumulative average of at least second class" meant in the context of NSERC at mcmaster. I assume it's a B?
I'm actually not sure. Some depts/Faculties require at least a 10 though. Best to check with the department to which you'd be applying for their specific regulations - there is some variability.

Old 11-11-2009 at 11:26 PM   #8
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
I'm in science and I got an email saying it was a 10.5 minimum.

Thanks for the update deangrad.

deangrad says thanks to Fight0 for this post.

Old 11-15-2009 at 02:38 PM   #9
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
I'm in science and I got an email saying it was a 10.5 minimum.

Thanks for the update deangrad.
For the summer session, would the CA include first semester of your current year? I think the deadline is sometime in second semester so they obviously wouldn't be able to look at those marks when considering you.

I got the same e-mail, and then I checked my CA on mugsi... frikken Orgo2 dropped my CA quite a bit.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search