Why does Mac hate us? :-( janeller General Discussion 34 07-24-2009 10:21 PM
Don't Hate, Appreciate!! ferreinm Misc 2 08-28-2008 06:25 PM

Help! I Hate My Room!

Old 09-06-2010 at 06:17 PM   #1
bubblegum3
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Help! I Hate My Room!
so i thought bates only had either a 4 room or a 6 room apartment..but i got a 2 room. I thought omg only one other person to share the space with. but unfortunately I have to share a bedroom aswell. Our beds are super close and I am not comfortable with that. If this is the case, I shouldnt pay as much as people who get a room of their own in bates. It makes no sense. someone help!!!!
PS. the study area is in the common area for both of us and we share a tiny little closet

Last edited by bubblegum3 : 09-06-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2010 at 06:28 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegum3 View Post
so i thought bates only had either a 4 room or a 6 room apartment..but i got a 2 room. I thought omg only one other person to share the space with. but unfortunately I have to share a bedroom aswell. Our beds are super close and I am not comfortable with that. If this is the case, I shouldnt pay as much as people who get a room of their own in bates. It makes no sense. someone help!!!!
You aren't paying the same price as those living in Apartment Style. You should be paying price for a double room.

You can move the furniture in your room around as long as you move it back to the way it was at the end of the year in April.
Old 09-06-2010 at 06:30 PM   #3
bubblegum3
Account Disabled by User

no im still paying the same as apartment style for bates and I tried moving the furniture, the bed wont fit through the door >.<
Old 09-06-2010 at 06:30 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegum3 View Post
I doubt they'd give you money back because you don't like your room.
Are they any other rooms in the apt that can be converted into a bedroom? Or is there another setup so that your beds aren't as close?
You can also try talking to Housing or your CA. Even during the school year, people drop out of residence or get kicked out, so they might be able to put you on a waiting list for a new room. I don't know if they'd do that unless there are serious problems though--they might just tell you to try and deal with it first. There are other people who end up having big problems with their roommates that would probably get priority, but it's worth a try! At least talk to your CA and he/she can tell you your options!
Old 09-06-2010 at 06:30 PM   #5
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

I know what rooms your talking about...and yeah its honestly the most stupidest layout in the world. Like...2 beds in 1 room (and if im not mistaken 1 closet or none). Also, both desks are in the living area as well. Completely crap layout. But then again, the room next door to yours has 6 people. So I guess it just depends what you like.

MIpolice likes this.
Old 09-07-2010 at 12:29 PM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

move one of the beds to the common area ... dahhh and so you guys agree on who gets the bigger room etc

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 09-07-2010 at 12:56 PM   #7
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Buy like a giant curtain to divide the room and hope that your roommate isn't a loud person, if you know what I mean...

... Like if she's a noisy eater... Om nom nom nom

AelyaS likes this.
Old 09-07-2010 at 12:57 PM   #8
jscal

Liked: 0 Times

honestly dont even worry about your rooming situation, I bet you're gunna meet tons of friends, spend most of your time in their rooms, and just come back to yours to sleep haha. Enjoy frosh week and try not to worry about it.
Old 09-10-2010 at 06:48 PM   #9
KaitG

The 6 person apartments in Bates are the worst. You have your own room, but they are the size of a closet!!

doublefudge, GoodYear2 like this.
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:12 PM   #10
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

wow that suckz i lived in bates last year and never knew about 2 ppl sharing a bed room, i say move one bed to living room simply take off the matress and flip the bed sidewayz and get a couple of ppl to help you get it out the room its probably your best option if yu dun wanna share one small room with ur roommate
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:51 PM   #11
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

What did you expect when moving into rez in general. You should have rented a room in a house. Sooooo much better! And cheaper, wayyyy cheaper lol
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:54 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttk View Post
What did you expect when moving into rez in general. You should have rented a room in a house. Sooooo much better! And cheaper, wayyyy cheaper lol
Not really...$400/month including utilities, plus $16.70/month for internet, and a 12-month lease comes out to approx $5000. Yes, it's for an extra 4 months, but if you're not around in the summer, and depending what type of res room you get, it can be cheaper to live in res.
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:56 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Not really...$400/month including utilities, plus $16.70/month for internet, and a 12-month lease comes out to approx $5000. Yes, it's for an extra 4 months, but if you're not around in the summer, and depending what type of res room you get, it can be cheaper to live in res.
I find the food is what makes the difference. Buying food and cooking yourself can save you a lot more money than buying food on campus everyday (and you HAVE to get a meal plan if you live on campus).
Old 09-10-2010 at 09:56 PM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I'm sorry to hear about the room situation. You might want to talk about the monetary issue with Housing and Conference Services but in terms of a more bearable living situation, this might help:
Talk to your roommate. You haven't mentioned them much which I'm guessing is a good thing since this is more about layout than personality clashes. Keeping it that way will help.

Rez does make one change their perception of things. Consider spending more time in the library to work, or quiet lecture halls, and using your room as a place to unwind (which the common room can also work as) and primarily a place to rest. The less you cram in there the better.

Posters. Poster sale should be sometime soon - posters make the room seem much bigger than it is as does light coloured/bright coloured bedding.

Minimize clutter. Empty your garbage cans regularly - fold things and put them away ASAP. Keep as little stuff out in your floor space as possible to minimize tripping over things and them getting in your way and hopefully, the resulting irritation

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-13-2010 at 02:49 PM   #15
GoodYear2

Liked: 0 Times

Hahaha! Oh first year i lived in a six.