CA waiting list pawmiii Residence & Housing 2 08-04-2010 11:26 AM
Waiting List?! Mfm12 Residence & Housing 3 06-24-2010 10:02 AM
Waiting List ? Demonoid12 General Discussion 0 05-11-2009 05:05 PM

HELP! - im on the waiting list for rez!

Old 05-20-2008 at 08:11 PM   #1
futuremac

Liked: 0 Times

HELP! - im on the waiting list for rez!
Hey so i didnt get guaranteed acceptance to rez because i didnt have a 78% average.

Howeveer, it is really important for me to get it.. because i live far and i DESPERATELY wanna live on campus and in rez!

do any of you guys know anyone that was placed on a waiting list but still got into rez? i really want to know what my chances are!
I know i will have a 78% average last term... but those marks only come out june 23rd in my school.... so im really worried

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED
Old 05-20-2008 at 08:48 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Numbers, percentiles, actual chances? Housing and Conference Services doesn't publicize that sort of info. I'm not even sure how many bedspaces are available (possibly 3900?), let alone how many people apply.

Your getting off the waiting list will depend on how many people made the guaranteed acceptance and how many beds are available. If lots of people made the average then it is likely that you may not get a spot in res....at least not yet.

Spots usually open up after move-in days (there is a date all first year students must move in by. If they do not their rooms are re-assigned to people on the wait list) in first term. Spots also become available in term two due to re-shuffling, people going on exchange etc.

However, waiting can be a bit of a gamble. Once residence assignments are given out in late July/early August you will have a better idea of whether or not you will be taken off the wait list and given a spot in res. If that isn't the case, you will need to look into off-campus accomidations.

Also, I suggest working your ass off for your final exams...you have a little less than a month to go...so if you can pull up your grades perhaps you will get the 78% average afterall.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-20-2008 at 09:09 PM   #3
futuremac

But my new marks only come out on June 23rd.... do u think that thats already too late to be taken off the waiting lis?
because i know 100% fact that by last tern i will have that 78% average

and please! does anyone know anyone that has been placed on a waiting list in the past and when they got their residences? This info would really help
Old 05-20-2008 at 09:33 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

So with your grades from your second term you will have the 78% average? Or you will have a 78% average for your second term?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-20-2008 at 09:45 PM   #5
futuremac

no my school is not semestered.. we have 4 terms.... so our last term (final marks) come out on june 23rd

and by june 23rd i will have an average of 78% or higher
Old 05-22-2008 at 01:15 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Hi Futuremac!

If you don't get into residence for some reason because of the waitinglist, you can always live off-campus in a student house near Mac. There are hundreds of houses around McMaster that are looking for Sept leases, and a lot of International students end up renting houses for September once they've been accepted to McMaster. Renting off-campus is cheaper than living in residence, and you aren't forced to get a meal plan, have more freedom, etc. etc. While it isn't the exact same experience as being in a building full of lots of first-year students, you can always room with friends, or room with new people and meet new friends, you have SOCS (Society for Off-Campus Students) to make your experience a fun one, and get to take part in all the great events (Welcome Week, etc), then if you like the house a lot you can stay there for your 4 years at Mac.
Old 05-28-2008 at 08:18 AM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Hey Futuremac,
Chad is right, off campus living is a great alternative to on campus residence living. There are plenty of resources for you to still get involved and if at the end of the year you still want to experience residence you can apply for it! Keep in mind that your grades will be taken into consideration for acceptance into rez even if you're an upper year student.

Oh, and if your average was close to the 78% cut off then you are higher up on the wait list. So for example if your average was a 77% you'd be higher priority than the person with the 66% average.

Keep your chin up and your fingers crossed!

Old 07-07-2008 at 01:00 PM   #8
kenz

hey im also on the waiting list.
position number 54

what number are you?
Old 07-07-2008 at 01:16 PM   #9
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

No guarantees, but one of my friends missed the res deadline, was 223rd on a waiting list, and somehow landed an apartment in bates. i applied super-early and got brandon.

haha, just some hope for you
Old 07-07-2008 at 02:24 PM   #10
kenz

hey thanks for the heads up. knowing that. im a little more happy
Old 07-07-2008 at 03:05 PM   #11
mmal

How do i find out what position i am on the waiting list. This is all i see when i go to my application

Sorry that the picture is soo big.

Last edited by mmal : 07-07-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2008 at 03:34 PM   #12
benjs

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseeb View Post
How do i find out what position i am on the waiting list. This is all i see when i go to my application

Sorry that the picture is soo big.
Glad to be the bearer of good news - you're not on the waiting list at all. Go to bookings, then rooms, and find out what residence you're in!
Old 07-07-2008 at 04:23 PM   #13
kenz

yea ur not even on the waiting list.

Last edited by kenz : 07-07-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2008 at 04:50 PM   #14
mmal

See i dont even have a room assigned.
This is kind of weird.
Old 07-07-2008 at 05:06 PM   #15
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey haseeb , i think in your case. the only thing is you are guaranteed residence. just that they haven't assigned you yet. so just wait a bit! or if you are really scared, you can contact housing. It says "unassigned" on your status so they prb just still deciding where to put you in