MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course waiting list SaphireFire Academics 2 08-12-2010 11:40 PM
CA waiting list pawmiii Residence & Housing 2 08-04-2010 11:26 AM
Waiting List?! Mfm12 Residence & Housing 3 06-24-2010 10:02 AM
Waiting List ? Demonoid12 General Discussion 0 05-11-2009 05:05 PM
HELP! - im on the waiting list for rez! futuremac Residence & Housing 21 07-18-2008 11:16 PM

Waiting list :(

Old 06-30-2010 at 07:39 PM   #1
jchoi92

Liked: 0 Times

Waiting list :(
Hello,
I check my residence status and emails everyday and I'm currently #81.
Does this number decrease as people receive spots?
And being #81 feels like I won't get a spot. Anyone have opinions/suggestions/advice?
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:00 PM   #2
ammowasted

Liked: 7 Times

It'll decrease as people receive spots. I'm #5, and I haven't moved yet though.
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:09 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammowasted View Post
It'll decrease as people receive spots. I'm #5, and I haven't moved yet though.
Expect to move soon though. As highschools start sending in the final grades, there will be students who didn't meet their condition in their conditional offers.
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:17 PM   #4
ammowasted

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Expect to move soon though. As highschools start sending in the final grades, there will be students who didn't meet their condition in their conditional offers.
Fingers crossed, I just want to get in so I can stop worrying.
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:19 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammowasted View Post
Fingers crossed, I just want to get in so I can stop worrying.
Aha I know what you mean, but being 5th on the list is really good.
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:22 PM   #6
jchoi92

Liked: 0 Times

Oh my, fifth!!! You are SO lucky....
Old 07-03-2010 at 10:17 PM   #7
meena101

Liked: 4 Times

ah, im 83 ! i hope i get it, i heard that the top 100 USUALLY do get it, but i dont know.
Old 07-03-2010 at 10:20 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by meena101 View Post
ah, im 83 ! i hope i get it, i heard that the top 100 USUALLY do get it, but i dont know.
It really depends on many factors which change every year. So it's best not to think a certain way and to just go with the flow.
Old 07-05-2010 at 12:40 PM   #9
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

I was told that the numbers should change this week since FRIDAY is the last day to get a refund for the residence deposit.... *fingers crossed for all us wait-listers*
Old 07-06-2010 at 12:35 PM   #10
eSsBee

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Im 51,why wont the list moveee...
I'll have to commute if i don't get residence,my parents are
against the idea of off-campus housing
Old 07-06-2010 at 12:43 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Give it time, the list will move eventually. People are getting their final marks and finding out they didn't get into their program, dropping out, etc etc. And the longer the list goes on, the more people will have already found other housing, so even if they end up getting offered a res spot, they've already signed a lease and will turn it down. Or, if they really want a single room, they likely won't get offered one, so they might turn it down in favour of off-campus housing.

And, don't do what your parents want! Do what you want, especially if you're paying for it. I was talking to one girl at the beginning of this year, and she was saying that she commuted for the first three days, and realized there was no way it was going to work, so she had to scramble to find off-campus housing. Like, I pay for my own housing, so although I value my parents' opinions and I would LIKE them to agree with what I'm doing, neither of them understand why I would want to be off-campus instead of on res. Ultimately, it's my decision--I'm an adult, and they can't tell me what to do unless they're paying for it

eSsBee likes this.
Old 07-06-2010 at 01:32 PM   #12
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

On the plus for off campus, I'll be paying about half of what I payed to live in res last year. They really rob you with the forced meal plan lol. Anyway, good luck
Old 07-06-2010 at 02:35 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
On the plus for off campus, I'll be paying about half of what I payed to live in res last year. They really rob you with the forced meal plan lol. Anyway, good luck
Are you taking into account the food that you have to buy? I'm positive it's cheaper, but I really don't think it's half as cheap.
Old 07-06-2010 at 03:15 PM   #14
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

It will vary from person to person, but half as cheap is definitely possible depending on your food purchasing habits, diet, which res/meal plan you're comparing it to, and how much you pay in rent.
Old 07-06-2010 at 04:00 PM   #15
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I have an 8 month lease which helps a lot, plus a decent rent. And the way I shop/eat, I barely spend any money. I had to force myself to eat enough to get through the smallest meal plan, including getting my family to come up for huge dinners at Bistro lol. So yea, half as cheap is possible, not to mention now I get my own room instead of sharing

In fact I just calculated it, and I'm actually paying even less than half. (7505 last year vs. 3550 approx this year including food and everything) So say if you were in a single, or livng somewhere nice like Mary Keyes....your savings could be huuuge if you lived off campus. But that said...for first year it's awesome to live on Campus