MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will My Friend Get Into McMaster Business? Flight93 Academics 4 01-12-2012 02:29 PM
Really great video that a friend made ZSimon General Discussion 2 12-20-2011 10:38 PM
I need a Spanish friend NatalyaOtaku General Discussion 18 08-07-2011 02:55 AM
would you like to be my friend? Moson Mo General Discussion 13 08-29-2010 02:07 PM

Help! Will my friend get kicked out?

Old 07-24-2012 at 09:27 PM   #1
lolidunno

Liked: 12 Times

Help! Will my friend get kicked out?
so basically my friend finished the 2011-2012 session with a CA of 2.9... But she was already enrolled in a term 1 summer course before these results came out so she was allowed to finish that course. Will this last course be counted for her CA when considering whether she can continue this september? The mark for this course isn't out yet but its likely that if included, her CA will be above a 3.0.
Is there anything to worry about here? The grade report says shes not allowed to continue, this should change as soon as the mark is up, right?
Old 07-24-2012 at 09:36 PM   #2
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolidunno View Post
so basically my friend finished the 2011-2012 session with a CA of 2.9... But she was already enrolled in a term 1 summer course before these results came out so she was allowed to finish that course. Will this last course be counted for her CA when considering whether she can continue this september? The mark for this course isn't out yet but its likely that if included, her CA will be above a 3.0.
Is there anything to worry about here? The grade report says shes not allowed to continue, this should change as soon as the mark is up, right?
I'm not too sure, she should definitely go in and speak to someone in the Office of the Registrar. If someone gets below a 3.0 at the end of any academic period then they are kicked out. I don't think they'll make an exception for her just because she managed to take a summer course before they got all the marks finalized.
Old 07-24-2012 at 10:12 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

For engineering I think the mark will not count :( it's best if your friend talks to her academic advisor about this...academic advisors should have the answer to these questions.
This is a very serious matter, tell her to get in contact with her advisor like asap !
Old 07-24-2012 at 10:23 PM   #4
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

The summer school course won't count. She'll have to apply for reinstatement.

lifesciman1 likes this.
Old 07-24-2012 at 11:24 PM   #5
Griffindoor
Account Locked

Liked: 5 Times

Wow so she took a whole nother summer class & paid for it and it doesn't count?

At least try to talk to someone I've heard of people in Humanities not having the CA for their 4th year honors program so they could only do a 3 year... but after 3rd year they took a summer course and it all worked out. But thats Humanities they might be more lenient.
Old 07-24-2012 at 11:33 PM   #6
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffindoor View Post
Wow so she took a whole nother summer class & paid for it and it doesn't count?

At least try to talk to someone I've heard of people in Humanities not having the CA for their 4th year honors program so they could only do a 3 year... but after 3rd year they took a summer course and it all worked out. But thats Humanities they might be more lenient.
Honestly I don't think mac is lenient when it comes to gpa, regardless of your program...the people that you mentioned who took summer school to boost their gpa most likely had a 3.0 or higher...if your CA is below 3 after any academic year you will get kicked out no matter what !
The only way to get back in with a CA below 3 is to apply for reinstatement.
Old 07-24-2012 at 11:43 PM   #7
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffindoor View Post
Wow so she took a whole nother summer class & paid for it and it doesn't count?.
The course still counts and will show up on her transcript. It just won't count towards her GPA for first year.
Old 07-24-2012 at 11:59 PM   #8
lolidunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
The course still counts and will show up on her transcript. It just won't count towards her GPA for first year.
just to clarify, she isn't first year, could that make a difference?

anyways, I'm just curious how certain you guys are of your answers because reading mac's policy from the registrar's site it says that you are kicked out if your CA is less than 3.0.
The CA includes ALL courses, so under what reasoning can they not include her summer course when calculating it?
Am i missing something?

Last edited by lolidunno : 07-26-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2012 at 12:02 AM   #9
MacNeuro

Liked: 76 Times

The 3.0 gpa requirement to continue at Mac is all marks from Fall 2011 to Winter 2012. If you don't have 3.0 gpa for Fall 2011-Winter 2012 you get kicked out.

Only option is to apply for reinstatement.
Old 07-25-2012 at 12:04 AM   #10
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

They can't calculate it in because it wasn't a part of her CA when the CA was deemed below a 3.0. As in, she would have still been taking that course when her CA was caculated.
Old 07-25-2012 at 12:05 AM   #11
lolidunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavalan View Post
The 3.0 gpa requirement to continue at Mac is all marks from Fall 2011 to Winter 2012. If you don't have 3.0 gpa for Fall 2011-Winter 2012 you get kicked out.

Only option is to apply for reinstatement.
Oh I think I see, so its not actually the CA that has to be less than 3.0, right?
Just the average from the last academic year?
Old 07-25-2012 at 12:06 AM   #12
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

As others have said she has to apply for reinstatement, Its too late this year since the deadline was June 30th. She has to apply next year for September 2013.
Old 07-25-2012 at 03:03 AM   #13
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Unfortunately if she completed 18 units Fall-Winter, she had a reviewing period in May, which means that as of that review she is not allowed to continue at the University. I am surprised they allowed her continue at the University. Unfortunately, unless she took 18 units this summer another review wouldn't be possible until next May.

She could theoretically seek a Petition for Special Consideration, (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...-12/pg139.html) but I have a feeling it is likely not easy to obtain a positive response to one. Sorry.
Old 07-25-2012 at 06:27 AM   #14
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

If your friend's average is that low, perhaps university is not for her. Has she considered college?
Old 07-25-2012 at 07:04 AM   #15
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

This^ the following years only get harder, so if your friend was incapable of holding a 3.0, maybe do as eternal fire said and look into colleges or the trades