MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good LOLs temara.brown General Discussion 83 01-15-2010 02:30 PM
Good Food Box! temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 13 11-22-2009 09:12 PM
Is this a good timetable or bad? quresmu General Discussion 3 08-14-2009 09:18 PM
Anyone good with MS Access? kokosas General Discussion 4 07-27-2009 10:27 AM

help ppl.. do your good deed of the day.. lol

Old 06-07-2008 at 10:02 PM   #1
deep

Liked: 0 Times

help ppl.. do your good deed of the day.. lol
well im number 206 on the waiting list for rez, and the only thing holding me back from coming to mcmaster is the waiting list, my average is 80s thats not the problem. i just missed the deadline because i wasnt in canada when we had to do this whole thing, so what are my chances of gettin into rez? anyone with any information?.. thanks a lot guys!

=
Old 06-07-2008 at 10:07 PM   #2
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Someone in here said that they knew someone last year who was in the 300s and got in, but that there is probably more demand for res this year.

Im rooting for you though! One of my good friends (the guy Im supposed to be rooming with) applied late and his number 244, so I hope they at least get that high.
Old 06-07-2008 at 11:10 PM   #3
deep

i hope your wrong about the more demand part, and right about the rooting for me part, lol cuz if i dont get into rez, im not getting into mac, prolly end up at a college and do that first or something similar.. lol
Old 06-07-2008 at 11:31 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

If you don't get into rez, consider getting a place off campus!! There are many first year students who do that! I would definitely not throw away an opportunity to go to mac just because of a waiting list!!
Living off-campus is ultimately cheaper then residence and also has many opportunities for you as a potential first year (SOCS). Also check out the website for the Off-Campus Housing Resource Center.
Here's where you can look for housing in the Hamilton area.
Old 06-08-2008 at 01:11 PM   #5
deep

yea im going to start looking into that now, but still hoping, first year i rather live on rez, i mean i got the marks and everything just missed the deadline, lol stupid me. but thanks for the idea man.
Old 06-08-2008 at 04:39 PM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Hey Deep,
J-Met is right. 80 is not that bad. I'm fairly sure you'll get into residence because there are a lot of kids who end up dropping out of residence for various reasons. However, do look into off campus housing. If you do end up off campus for your first year you can always re-apply to residence in your second year if you really want to live there, or you can apply to be a Community Advisor, that way you get to live in res and get paid to be there! Of course there's work involved but thats an entirely different story

Old 06-08-2008 at 07:57 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Deep, it is also possible to be admitted into residence second term as kokosas mentioned numbers change throughout the year in terms of who lives in res (people drop out, get moved, are only here for a one-semester exchange etc)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-08-2008 at 10:04 PM   #8
J-Met
Elite Member

I have another question related to the waiting list. Since the friend I put down for my roommate is on the waiting list, and he may not find out if he gets in until late in the summer, does this mean that this will somehow prevent me from finding out my room assignment until he does?

Does it also mean that Ill likey get stuck into the least popular res on campus because this is where most of the people on the waiting list get stuck?
Old 06-08-2008 at 10:47 PM   #9
deep

yea im going to look into off campus housing, but as you guys said .. second term.. is that second year..or second half of the first year??
Old 06-08-2008 at 11:32 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
I have another question related to the waiting list. Since the friend I put down for my roommate is on the waiting list, and he may not find out if he gets in until late in the summer, does this mean that this will somehow prevent me from finding out my room assignment until he does?

Does it also mean that Ill likey get stuck into the least popular res on campus because this is where most of the people on the waiting list get stuck?
It is possible because your friend is on the waiting list your original request (ie each other as roommates) is now void. However, I'm not sure. You're going to have to contact housing and ask them.

And the least popular res on campus is?

People on the waiting list get put in wherever there is availability. I was supposed to be in a room with two other girls, but one spot didn't get filled all year. Another girl in my wing was in a triple but alone until second term, when she got a roommate...so again, it depends on if people get their acceptances revoked, if they decide to not go to Mac etc.

deep, Mac's regular academic year (Sept-April) is split into two terms. One Sept-Dec and the other Jan-April.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-09-2008 at 01:37 PM   #11
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post

I was originally supposed to room with this girl from high school but her average was shot so she had to go to a different university and I had to be put in Whidden with a random even though I applied for Hedden.
Old 06-09-2008 at 01:47 PM   #12
J-Met
Elite Member

But do you think the reason you got put into Whidden instead of hedden was because your room-mate bailed or was it just the luck of the lottery?
Old 06-09-2008 at 08:51 PM   #13
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

The thing is with requested roomates is that they'll always be together (as long as they're both on the guranteed list - if not, you may unfortunately be out of luck), but not necessarily in the building that they ranked the highest.