MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quiet Exam Study Space Off Campus! marissa88 Clubs & Groups 0 11-25-2010 03:31 PM
Chem And Math 1a03 Exam-aid Sessions Only A $10 Donation To Charity sosmcmaster Academics 2 11-09-2010 09:55 AM
Should I buy the study guide for first year chem & bio??? jasonfung Academics 2 09-04-2008 04:09 PM

Help: How To Study For Chem 1a03 Exam??

Old 12-03-2010 at 09:23 PM   #1
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Help: How To Study For Chem 1a03 Exam??
It Seems Like There's An Overwhelming Amount Of Chem To Study For.....
Any Tips On How To Start Studying Chem ?????
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:28 PM   #2
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I read all the chapters, and went through the recommended questions. I took note of the ones I had trouble with and did them again later. I did any questions that came up in the class note, as well as tutorials, labs and quizzes. I also wennt through the notes and made a list of terms to make sure I knew and understood. Start by reading through the powerpoints and any notes you're made I'd say, just to refresh your memory before you start intensly studying. Also think about what did and didn't work for you on the midterms, and work from that. Ask for help if you need it, or work with a budy of that helps. Good luck

m0nica, SilentWalker all say thanks to crazyfree for this post.

Carefree likes this.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:29 PM   #3
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Go through the notes (quickly) and look for little notes you've made for yourself to help understanding and reminding yourself of the entirety of the course.

Do the last tutorial or 2, especially if there's any review questions.

Go through the practice exam and then discuss/determine the correct answers with a friend or two.

m0nica, SilentWalker all say thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:31 PM   #4
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

You literally have to go over anything.

Firstly, briefly look over all your notes.. look for the major concepts. Then refine anything you don't know and do ALL of the practice questions.

Best of luck.

m0nica, SilentWalker all say thanks to Rakim for this post.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:38 PM   #5
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

I personally would stress the importance of doing practice questions. Reading simply won't cut it, do as many practice questions as possible to truly gauge your learning.

m0nica likes this.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:43 PM   #6
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

1) Read the notes
2) Ignore everything you read
3) Pray
4) ???
5) Achieve grade around 70.

Old 12-03-2010 at 10:06 PM   #7
BVictor

Liked: 7 Times

Do the practice quizzes on Avenue to gauge your knowledge of said topic.
If you find yourself not getting a perfect score, jump back to the slides, study them and do the suggested textbook questions. Go over the relevant MasteringChemistry questions. Jump back onto the quiz. Aim for a perfect score.

If you don't get your score, hop onto another topic/chapter/subject, and come back and repeat.

Also, pay more attention to the final few chapters. And group certain chapters together while you review (for example, Chapter 5 + Chapter 15, Chapters 7 + 20 + 16 [Entropy] + [Thermodynamics Chapter]). Linking things in will help you assosciatedifferent areas, and cover concepts faster.

Draw out the associations if it helps (never helped me, but might help you).

Dr Lock also suggests learning backward (last chapter first).

m0nica says thanks to BVictor for this post.
Old 12-03-2010 at 10:11 PM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

1) Cry
2) Read all chapters they did not cover, b/c they'll ask you about them
3) Pass

Memories of Chem 1AA3 made me bitter.
Old 12-03-2010 at 11:41 PM   #9
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Alchemist knows what he's talking about. Read over the notes and look over the problems from the review tutorials. If you want, look over your midterms, and then do the practice final. Doing practice problems isn't necessary in the slightest.

The 1A03 final wasn't bad at all anyway, you should be fine.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 12-04-2010 at 03:13 AM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

id say major concepts then go over tutorials/quizzes/tests then do practice test
Old 12-04-2010 at 09:26 AM   #11
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
1) Cry
3) Pass

It probably depends on which professor you had.
Old 12-04-2010 at 10:13 AM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
1) Cry
3) Pass

Hahaha the 1AA3 exam was brutal! It was honestly like a slap in the face.

The 1A03 exam was pretty straight-forward, if you had been doing well on the midterms and doing the quizzes by yourself you could probably get 80% or higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
It probably depends on which professor you had.
The professors teach the same material, use the same notes, and have the same examinations (and midterms for that matter). The course is essentially the same regardless of professor.
Old 12-04-2010 at 10:20 AM   #13
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Hahaha the 1AA3 exam was brutal! It was honestly like a slap in the face.

The 1A03 exam was pretty straight-forward, if you had been doing well on the midterms and doing the quizzes by yourself you could probably get 80% or higher.

The professors teach the same material, use the same notes, and have the same examinations (and midterms for that matter). The course is essentially the same regardless of professor.
You're right about that, but I thought they had different teaching styles.
Old 12-04-2010 at 10:25 AM   #14
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
You're right about that, but I thought they had different teaching styles.
I actually got a higher mark on the 1aa3 final than I did on the 1a03 final O_O

But IIRC our 1aa3 final had like..intense 3 point questions...that were almost impossible to solve for the time we had..

But all things considered I really never liked chemistry hence why I didn't take it since then..

Old 12-04-2010 at 11:14 AM   #15
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Go through the practice exams several days in advance of the final exam.

I spent the week before my Chem 1A03 exam reading the textbook, casually going through the notes and tutorials and textbook questions, and then spent the day before the final exam doing the practice exams to "test" myself of all the "knowledge" I gained from the week's "studying". HUGE FAIL. Do not do this. It was a recipe for disaster.. it came as the worst shock to me when I found out didn't understand any of the practice exams.. had a panic attack the night before the final, not even joking.

Lesson learned: begin your studying with the practice exams, find out the areas you need improvement/practice, and then spend a couple days studying those things, looking over the textbook, etc.

good luck... that is all I can say, lol.

SilentWalker says thanks to marcie for this post.

Commander likes this.