MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quiet Exam Study Space Off Campus! marissa88 Clubs & Groups 0 11-25-2010 03:31 PM
Chem And Math 1a03 Exam-aid Sessions Only A $10 Donation To Charity sosmcmaster Academics 2 11-09-2010 09:55 AM
Should I buy the study guide for first year chem & bio??? jasonfung Academics 2 09-04-2008 04:09 PM

Help: How To Study For Chem 1a03 Exam??

Old 12-04-2010 at 11:48 AM   #16
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I did about 20% worse on the chem 1AA3 exam than I did on the chem 1A03 ahahahah. It worked out fine after they adjusted the mark but yea...chemical kinetics and I don't get along.

Old 12-04-2010 at 01:49 PM   #17
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Oh, in case I didn't mention this earlier - don't smoke too much pot on the two or three days leading up to the final

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Hahaha the 1AA3 exam was brutal! It was honestly like a slap in the face.
Yeah man, the 1AA3 final was intense. I went in expecting it to be somewhat (in terms of difficulty) like the 1A03 final...I was wrong.

Last edited by Mahratta : 12-04-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2010 at 02:20 PM   #18
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Oh, in case I didn't mention this earlier - don't smoke too much pot on the two or three days leading up to the final

Yeah man, the 1AA3 final was intense. I went in expecting it to be somewhat (in terms of difficulty) like the 1A03 final...I was wrong.
I think I ended up dropping 3 points from that exam alone. The whole semester, I was doing better than in 1A03, above average even for midterm II, and then boom. And that's AFTER they went and adjusted.

Pretty unreasonable, IMO, to drop like that.
Old 12-04-2010 at 02:24 PM   #19
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I think I ended up dropping 3 points from that exam alone. The whole semester, I was doing better than in 1A03, above average even for midterm II, and then boom. And that's AFTER they went and adjusted.

Pretty unreasonable, IMO, to drop like that.
Yea, I was doing way better in 1AA3 and the exam screwed me over.

Old 12-04-2010 at 03:18 PM   #20
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Lol I guess I lucked out, because I managed to get a 12 after they adjusted the mark, but just barely. If I had gotten like one more question wrong on the exam I would have gotten an 11. And Chem was my highest mark first term and one of my highest marks second term so I was pretty discouraged that chemistry could own me so badly hahah.

But on topic, I'm studying for orgo right now, and my plan (though I mentioned something similar to it earlier) is as follows:

Go through the notes quickly, maybe 3-4 hours for the entire course, just reminding myself of little formulas or intricacies everyone forgets after a midterm. Also, looking for "questions" that mess me up often, or general trends and I try explaining the trends back to myself to make sure they still make sense and I could come up with them again on the exam.

You're probably going to notice how much better you got at chemistry over the semester - when I was looking through my notes from September I was like laughing at how little I knew and how confusing everything seemed when it's so simple now.

Then just practice MC questions ^_^

Last edited by Alchemist11 : 12-04-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2010 at 09:40 PM   #21
escape

Liked: 38 Times

CHEM 1A03??? ha, good luck! No seriously, you're going to need it.
Old 12-05-2010 at 05:30 PM   #22
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but when you do the practice problems don't do them in sequential order.

e.g. do 1 or 2 from one section, move onto another section, then go back to that sction later.

If you do all the problems in one section at the same time, you stop thinking about the process by the end...you're on auto-pilot. "Jumping around" so to speak helps make sure you're internalizing each problem you do, and prevents those "mind going blank" moments during your exam.
Old 12-05-2010 at 05:52 PM   #23
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

1) Make summaries of important concepts from each chapter
2) If they still have those review sessions w/ Dr. Lock.. go!!
3) Tutorial Q's, Quiz Q's, Old Test Q's, Old Exams Q's.. practice practice practice. The most exposure you get to different types of questions, the more you'll understand all of the different ways they could possible test you on a concept. The exam when I had it was really fair as long as you did a lot of practice.
Old 12-06-2010 at 01:06 PM   #24
sosmcmaster

Liked: 2 Times

Hey
if you need some extra help studying , check out the CHEM 1A03 EXAM AID session being held!
Its taught by trained tutors and only costs 20 dollars with all the money going to help build sustainable projects in third world countries! the session is happening on Tuesday so register soon at www.mcmastersos.com!!
Old 12-07-2010 at 03:31 PM   #25
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Do The Practice Exam.
Do The Practice Exam.
Do The Practice Exam.
Do The Practice Exam.
Do The Practice Exam.
Do The Practice Exam.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 12-07-2010 at 04:54 PM   #26
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Do The Practice Exam.
Do The Practice Exam.
Do The Practice Exam.
Do The Practice Exam.
Do The Practice Exam.
Do The Practice Exam.
Agreed.

Just about all I do are the practice exams.
Old 12-08-2010 at 05:11 PM   #27
luke11992

Liked: 0 Times

i feel kinda screwed for this exam cuz i slacked all semester and only did some work right before the 2 tests, so im gonna try to do all the tutorial questions and read my notes. then ill hopefully be as prepared as i can possibly get