MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper Year Psych wallisjl Academics 0 05-27-2011 06:19 PM
Psych Labs (3rd year) Richa Academics 3 03-20-2011 12:43 PM
2nd year Psych courses missmatch Academics 3 06-25-2009 03:23 AM
Second Year Psych Courses mgallant Academics 1 07-28-2008 04:37 PM
3rd year bio and psych courses to take dacrown4life Academics 0 06-18-2008 01:18 AM

Help understanding first year psych course!

Old 08-22-2011 at 11:03 AM   #1
Cronkam

Liked: 0 Times

Help understanding first year psych course!
I was looking at last years undergraduate calendar and I was looking at the psych courses and noticed that it says web modules, does that mean its an online course ?? cause that is making me not want to take it!
Old 08-22-2011 at 11:07 AM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Yeah the lectures are basically videos, look up the course in the reviews! Reviews always have your back
Old 08-22-2011 at 11:15 AM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Yes its a great course, the lectres are online

Psych 1X03 => Web lectures and weekly tutorials to discuss the weekly lectures. Lectures can be watched any time any day and you can rewatch any of them. There is a biweekly quiz to test your understanding of the material, the web lectures can be opened and the "Search" feature in the web lecture module allowes you to look up answers or check your answer.

Psych 1XX3 => Web lectures, weekly tutorials and a weekly live lecture that discusses the application of the information your learned this week. Tutorials and quizez are just like Psych 1X03

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-22-2011 at 11:23 AM   #4
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Yeah the lectures are online but you still have regular tutorials with a TA.
Old 08-22-2011 at 11:23 AM   #5
Cronkam

oh okay great! thanks so muuch!
Old 08-22-2011 at 11:29 AM   #6
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

It's still an awesome course. Don't be put out just because it's online. You have to stay on course by yourself, yeah, but it's worth every online minute.
Old 08-22-2011 at 09:08 PM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I actually thought that the online web lectures were much better than actual going to lectures. It freed up part of my day and I could take notes on those lectures whenever I wanted, in the freedom and convenience of my own room.
Old 08-22-2011 at 09:20 PM   #8
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

never skip watching ur lectures ever
watch them on time
it's hell trying to watch them all before exam
Old 08-22-2011 at 09:27 PM   #9
vinny06

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post

Psych 1X03 => Web lectures and weekly tutorials to discuss the weekly lectures. Lectures can be watched any time any day and you can rewatch any of them. There is a biweekly quiz to test your understanding of the material, the web lectures can be opened and the "Search" feature in the web lecture module allowes you to look up answers or check your answer.
Any idea how heavily these quizzes are weighed? Also, just for clarification, you can open up the modules while you do the quiz and use modules to help you answer questions? ...basically an open book quiz?

How long to the weekly modules tend to be?
Old 08-22-2011 at 09:32 PM   #10
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny06 View Post
Any idea how heavily these quizzes are weighed? Also, just for clarification, you can open up the modules while you do the quiz and use modules to help you answer questions? ...basically an open book quiz?

it is an open book quiz and time limit is like 20 min
u wont really go back to the module since u will have ur notes
always do the quiz with bunch of friends cuz the questions are usually repeated and it's ALOT easier to do with other people, never do them alone

vinny06 says thanks to cjdzl for this post.
Old 08-22-2011 at 09:39 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny06 View Post

This is from my course outline for the summer school semester (same as the regular year outline):
"AVENUE Quizzes (15%)
There are 5 short AVENUE Quizzes during the semester which will cover the 1 week of material
immediately beforehand. For example, AVENUE Quiz 1 will test material covered in week 1 of the
course. Each AVENUE Quiz will be worth 3.75% and consists of several multiple choice questions. Your
best 4 of 5 quiz marks will count towards your final grade. AVENUE Quizzes will be made available
online at AVENUE on the Friday of the week that they are scheduled at 6AM and promptly be removed
48 hours later on Sunday at 6AM."

I didn't have a problem just doing the quizzes and submitting, but if I had a problem, I referred to the webmodule, which I had already open, and usually just did a keyword search, since the web modules had that handy feature... but for the most part your time would be better spent going through your notes, or just knowing the stuff beforehand (watch the modules before the quiz)..

vinny06 says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 08-22-2011 at 09:42 PM   #12
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

You don't understand first-year psych courses. They understand you.

L'Étoile, lt93, vinny06 like this.
Old 08-22-2011 at 10:01 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Is there a time limit on the online quizzes, Ryan?
Old 08-22-2011 at 10:04 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Is there a time limit on the online quizzes, Ryan?
Time ends 20 minutes after you start -- assignments were like 2 hours in the browser over a span of 48 hours (that you could log out and log back in over that time).

Silver says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 08-25-2011 at 12:14 AM   #15
ahmedn27

There's a plus point and a minus point to the Psych online web modules. Eventhough it means that you can listen to them whenever you have time to, Students often tend to procastinate, and leave the viewieng to right before the midterm or exams. The online quizzes tend to be a lot harder if you havn't watched the lectures beforehand!