MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
have physics 1b03. want math 1b03 or econ 1b03 hanj37 Academics 4 01-03-2013 06:46 AM
Biochem 3H03 - helpful tips? thehumanmacb Academics 5 01-06-2012 02:25 PM

Helpful tip for Physics 1B03 tests

Old 09-16-2013 at 09:09 AM   #1
shimje

Liked: 0 Times

Helpful tip for Physics 1B03 tests
I took it last year, had 88 until the exam...

Neways, for the tests, instead of suffering from CAPA (unless you have extra time and aim for 12),
work on the exercises, they are good representation of the tests.
(CAPA has more calculation while the exercises are conceptual)

Then, go to these websites (they are from different universities)
They have ppts with questions, answers and explanation
It helped me out great

http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/~jgladden/phys214/news.html :Click on Chap 20 and on only
http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~cps/physics/powerpoint/

If the first few chapters are not there, just google the questions from the exercises and youll be able to find ones similar

Best luck!

patriots4eva says thanks to shimje for this post.
Old 09-16-2013 at 10:03 AM   #2
patriots4eva

Liked: 5 Times

I'm in 1B03 right now, and my first CAPA assignment is due in a couple days and I have absolutely no idea about how to calculate this stuff...I have Yavin, is that who you had? What should I do??? :S
Old 09-16-2013 at 01:10 PM   #3
InverT

Let me take this chance to advertise PHI (Physics Help Initiative) in BSB B119. It's a drop-in help centre run by students for any first year physics course. Feel free to come by any time between 9 and 6. There is also a drop-in centre in the basement of Thode.

patriots4eva says thanks to InverT for this post.
Old 09-16-2013 at 01:29 PM   #4
patriots4eva

How much does it cost??
Old 09-16-2013 at 01:53 PM   #5
InverT

It's free...

patriots4eva says thanks to InverT for this post.
Old 09-16-2013 at 02:29 PM   #6
patriots4eva

Omg thank you so much, the teacher there explained everything and now the questions make sense

InverT likes this.
Old 09-17-2013 at 04:42 AM   #7
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

As a current 1B03 student who didn't take H.S. physics & only took 1L03 four years ago, I greatly appreciate this! Thank you for going out of your way to do this - I'm sure this will definitely help out.
Old 09-17-2013 at 08:12 AM   #8
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

There are several great resources out their (the MIT free courseware is just one of many).
Also; while it may seem intimidating, talk to the professors for help, that is what they are there for and trust me, your questions won't be stupid and if you feel comfortable with it even ask questions in class.

And as people mentioned there is the PHI help room (located opposite the first year labs in BSB Basement). It is run by the physics faculty and is compromised of upper year physics who are more than capable of answer questions that you may have. One thing to note is that don't go there if you just want someone to do your CAPA for you. If you feel intimidated going alone, go with friends and the tutors will be more than willing to help.

Cheers and good luck!