MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are all 1st year classes full? schad17 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-12-2010 10:46 AM
3rd year Kin classes tungo89 Academics 1 06-13-2010 03:07 PM
How many 1st year classes am I allowed to take in total? leah.d Academics 1 06-03-2010 06:47 PM
First Year Course Schedule.. anyone have same classes?? Cassandraa87 Academics 10 08-20-2009 11:14 AM
3rd Year Econ Classes - Need Some Advice :) PTGregD Academics 0 06-23-2009 12:15 AM

here are all my first year classes, any suggestions?

Old 07-04-2009 at 10:23 AM   #1
oDianao

Liked: 0 Times

here are all my first year classes, any suggestions?
I've just finished choosing my first year courses and here they are:
Math 1A03,1B03,1AA3
Chem: 1A03 1AA3
biology 1A03 1M03
physics: 1B03
psych: 1X03 1XX3
though i don't know the specific time for these courses yet..I would like someone tell me whether this will open up doors/provide several options for me in the second or third year programs, and how about professional schools?(since i don't know what to do yet). and will the options be affected if i change one of the math to second year japanese(becasue the first year takes 6 units to complete and i can't overload, plus i think i can take a placement test for that). in that case which math should i switch?
guys I'm currently in my solar's seven days period, please reply ASAP!!~^_^ thanks..
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:07 PM   #2
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

I'm going to assume you're in Life Sci?

So, looking at your courses, you're leaving yourself a lot of option for second year. The only thing I'm looking at is the three maths, where two are not necessary UNLESS you want to go into Honours Biology & Mathematics.

Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned you're good for second year.

My recommendation would be, if you were to drop the two maths (1B03 and 1AA3), to take something that comes VERY easily for you. If Japanese is it, go right ahead and switch the two maths to Japanese. You are doing all three sciences and that is going to be tough, no matter how well prepared you are.

However, if you're considering H. Bio&Math, you NEED to keep 1B03 and 1AA3. This is not necessarily THAT bad, because psych is only once and week (make sure they're spread out between two terms!), but as I said before, all three sciences and 3 math courses will be a heavy load. I'd like to point out that if you are 100% planning on going into Bio&Math, you do not need the 2nd psych, so if psych isn't your thing, switch it out to something easier for you.

Overall, the decision is yours depending on what you want to do second year. Think about it. But the courses you will be taking now without any changes are tough but leave doors open for you. If you definitely don't want to do Bio&Math, drop the math courses!

oDianao says thanks to mellye for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 02:31 PM   #3
oDianao

thank you very much, and yes I'm in life sci..I also think it's too heavy. I'm not sure about bio&math though, it's definately an option! just say if i plan to enter bio&math, and switch the 1B03 to level two japanese, can they still accepte me and with the condition of completing the 1B03 in the second year?
Old 07-06-2009 at 02:47 PM   #4
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Hey!

Your courses are fine but I'm not to sure you want to be taking three math courses unless you want into a math program. As of now your course load is pretty heavy. Going to be doing a lot of studying. You might want lighten the load a little bit. As for taking math 1B03 for the Math & Bio program, they'll give you a conditional offer but you'll have to speak to an adviser first so that they can take note. You might even be able to take it in summer if they offer it.

Good Luck

oDianao says thanks to Infinity for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 03:17 PM   #5
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

wowow wait, what the hell are you doing lol! drop the uneeded maths and pick up 2 bird courses so that you dont die...

geez.

i took inquiry and environmental science for example... the rest i had the same courses as you (except 1L03 physics instead of 1B03)

trust me you will enjoy having 1 or 2 easier courses that are lighter workload/less class time courses that will bring up your average and such.

oDianao says thanks to zango for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 03:21 PM   #6
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDianao View Post
I've just finished choosing my first year courses and here they are:
Math 1A03,1B03,1AA3
Chem: 1A03 1AA3
biology 1A03 1M03
physics: 1B03
psych: 1X03 1XX3
though i don't know the specific time for these courses yet..I would like someone tell me whether this will open up doors/provide several options for me in the second or third year programs, and how about professional schools?(since i don't know what to do yet). and will the options be affected if i change one of the math to second year japanese(becasue the first year takes 6 units to complete and i can't overload, plus i think i can take a placement test for that). in that case which math should i switch?
guys I'm currently in my solar's seven days period, please reply ASAP!!~^_^ thanks..
I would kill myself with a courseload like this. I hope you really love all these sciences. What are your post-uni dreams? Insane amounts of research? If you are just streaming towards medicine, you've got overkill. But I guess you would destroy the MCATS if you do well in all those.

oDianao says thanks to Juicebox for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 03:54 PM   #7
oDianao

omg......i know my timetable is going to be pretty packed but i had no idea that it will be that heavy! i hate doing researches and not going into med school, but im just not sure it's time to give up math yet. my time is pretty short because i have to go to another country in four days and stay there for about three weeks, do you think i still have time to drops some math, add another course which i have to take placement test first, before the school starts? i'll be back on august 6th. does the office or student coucil or whatever open as early as then?
Old 07-06-2009
mellye
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-06-2009 at 04:59 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I'm pretty sure the resgistrar's office (which deals with all incoming students and such) will be open at least till mid-august since there are students there for summer school courses.

oDianao says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 06:07 PM   #9
oDianao

what are your first year like? is it like if you do the study you suppose to do then everything is fine, or it's like constant disappointment and letting down,,and eventually all the fire is lost?
just curious
Old 07-06-2009 at 06:56 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
what are your first year like? is it like if you do the study you suppose to do then everything is fine, or it's like constant disappointment and letting down,,and eventually all the fire is lost?
just curious
Generally if you keep up with the readings and review everyday you can do well. Everyone is different though.

oDianao says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 08:15 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
just curious
Hearing from all my relatives.. friends etc.. It's kinda like the trasition from grade 10 to 11 .. or 11 to 12.. Just a bit more difficult.. And depending on your learning style and study habits of course . Of course if you're always doing whats expected of you, then you're good. If you're always partying.. then I think you know where this would be going

oDianao says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 08:27 PM   #12
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
wowow wait, what the hell are you doing lol! drop the uneeded maths and pick up 2 bird courses so that you dont die...

geez.

i took inquiry and environmental science for example... the rest i had the same courses as you (except 1L03 physics instead of 1B03)

trust me you will enjoy having 1 or 2 easier courses that are lighter workload/less class time courses that will bring up your average and such.

I actually received my highest first year marks in math 1A03 and math 1AA3. I found the math courses to be fairly straightforward. Math 1A03 seemed like a complete review of highschool calc! That said, I know different people have different strengths and weaknesses. If you really enjoy math and you are good at it, math 1A03 and math 1AA3 may be your "bird courses".

Otherwise, I agree with the other comments - your courses will provide you with a lot of options for second year programs

oDianao says thanks to rrtt for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 08:44 PM   #13
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

I took all of those courses in my first year except instead of Math 1B03 I took what was Stats 1CC3 at the time.

There were plenty of people who had the same courseload as me. So, do I think it's doable? YES but its not for everybody.

Yes it would be nice to have lighter courses in there but like other people have mentioned, whats definied as a lighter course is different for every person. I personally found both psychs, math 1A03 and stats 1CC3 to be my easiest courses. Others would have said the same about the bios or a chemistry.

If you really like math, those might be your light courses. I say go for it. If you decide that you don't want one of the math courses, you can change it to another course as long as you do it during the drop/add period.

oDianao says thanks to moops for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 08:48 PM   #14
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
just curious
I remember being so nervous about first year. Most of the advice I received was depressing - I was told to expect my average to go down by 10-20%, and to expect to study a lot. I just finished my first year (in April) and in retrospect, it wasnt as bad as everyone made it out to be. If you work hard and put in 100%, you will not be disappointed. There are so many resources in university to help you out. If you aren't understanding a specific topic in a course, you can ALWAYS get help from a prof/TA/tutor. Everyone is so helpful. Dont be afraid to ask!!

And dont forget to have fun! Most of my best memories from first year are the times I spent outside the classes/not studying. Have fun and study hard. You will definitely not lose your fire!

oDianao says thanks to rrtt for this post.