MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[plz help!] highschool transcript + dropping course eunhyuks First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-13-2011 12:32 AM
Anyone currently watching Highschool of the dead? xxsumz Anime & Comic Books 4 09-12-2010 11:31 AM
Do I need to take Highschool Physics for McMaster? Sajee26 General Discussion 13 12-06-2009 08:16 PM
Workload in university vs highschool sinthusized First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-13-2008 04:07 PM

Highschool Help

Old 11-19-2012 at 04:06 PM   #1
cchels

Liked: 2 Times

Highschool Help
Currently half way through 1st semester of grade 12, and to say the least, there's a lot of things I'm going to be changing.

1. I used to want to go into Kinesiology, but realized that I am terrible at math and I feel like Advanced Functions is stressing me out and is starting to have an impact on my other courses. I have a tutor, always do my homework, and even study for hours, but math is just a subject that is nearly impossible for me to understand.

2. I'm going to be dropping both Advanced Functions, which I have this semester, and Calculus, which I have next semester. Which leaves me with a spare for this semester, and another undecided course for next semester.

3. By dropping both math courses I am left with; Kinesiology (Exercise Science) (93%), Religion (80%), and Biology (73%) for this semester, and Chemistry, (Undecided Course), Business Leadership, and English.

I know by dropping both math courses and having no math at all, closes all doors for a BSc degree, and I am totally fine with that. The problem is I don't know what other program suits my strengths, and what I like. I did research last week, and so far, I like Criminology and/or Political Science.

1. Is it bad to not take any math in grade 12?
2. Does Mac offer criminology?
3. For anyone in first year social sci, what's it like? How is the workload? Do you need to take any math courses? What courses do you take first year?
4. Can you still go to medical or dental school with a degree in social sci?
5. What kind of jobs can you get with a degree in social sci? (If not accepted to grad school right away.)

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just curious about what I'm getting myself into, and want to learn more about these programs. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2012 at 04:09 PM   #2
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Do you actually expect us to remember the school system? Dude I donk even know what I learned last week, let alone how things work 2+ years ago.

Dont expect many participants in this thread. Best advise is to go to you guidance capitan, or whatever its called in high schools.
Old 11-19-2012 at 04:12 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I could be wrong, but I believe just about every program in University (or maybe just a Mac) require you to be capable of working through at least 1 math course.... Again, I could be wrong. Some are more basic than others.

Dropping math doesn't just close your doors to a BSc, but it closes many many other doors too. In my opinion, eliminating math from your final year of high school is a poor choice. But I'm someone who always wanted the maximum number of doors open to me...
Old 11-19-2012 at 04:32 PM   #4
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I'm a SocSci student (mature student, post college diploma, finished high school 6+ years ago) but still remember making that decision when I was in grade 12. If you hate math and it is going to stress you out... don't go for a program that involves a lot of math, which I think any BSc will! Most of the non-Humanities programs will require at least a stats course but they don't require you to have 12U math ahead of time for that. McMaster doesn't offer a Crimin
ology program but here is a list of Ontario universities that do: http://www.canadian-universities.net...y-Ontario.html
As far as med school I know that McMaster is out of the ordinary in that they DO accept a limited number of SocSci students. Job prospects for SocSci students are across a lot of different fields from healthcare to teaching to business and law... it depends on your program/interests. That said, an unmotivated SocSci student will end up flipping burgers (really, any unmotivated student will end up there - SocSci and humanities get a bad rap for it).

All of that said - If you really LOVE kinesiology (and your grades say that you do) then struggling through the math might be worth it.
Old 11-19-2012 at 04:47 PM   #5
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

by asking whether you can go to medical school or dental school I am guessing you want to go to those professional schools. Well to go to those schools there is obviously going to be some advanced level of math. So you will probably have to take some calculus courses to gain admission. If you are not good at math I don't think you can get in or survive in dental/medical school.
As a social science student you may have to rely on connections or do a lot of networking in order to gain a good job after you graduate. Undergrads are a dime a dozen these days so it's going to be tough. If you are planning to do grad school for any discipline whether it be poli sci or criminology you are going to have to take a basic stats class and a stats class that is geared to your discipline. You can pursue a minor in business, finance or accounting to make your degree more marketable or take advantage of the mohawk business certificate program being offered.
Old 11-19-2012 at 04:51 PM   #6
cchels

Yeah I just know 100% that I'll definitely regret going into a science program if I hate doing the work. I love to read and write though, and usually get great feedback on my essays and short stories, so I think I'd fit in more in the Social Sci stream. Just not entirely sure which program I like more than others, and kinda sad that Mac doesn't offer Criminology, lol. Thanks though!
Old 11-19-2012 at 04:53 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The vast majority of med schools require MCAT, which requires physics, which requires calculus.
You may not need to actually take a physics course (not all schools require that) but you need to be competent in that area anyways. Likewise, you may not need to take a math course as a prerequisite for a physics course, but you need the knowledge anyways.

For dentistry, they require physiology courses, which tend to require physics courses (ex Bio2A03 at Mac, the basic intro to animal physiology course, requires physics 1B03 or the artsci full-year physics course).

So yeah...you aren't going to get very far without calculus, let alone without advanced functions.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 11-19-2012 at 04:54 PM   #8
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

I don't think you can get in or survive in dental/medical school.

That is true. If you suck at math go to college, and get amazing marks there. Better be king of sheep, then a pawn among the wolves.

Animosity, Cliu91, MalK, Zebedee like this.
Old 11-19-2012 at 04:56 PM   #9
cchels

rpg51 - but Dental school doesn't require any math courses.. Just Anatomy, Biology, Physics, and Organic Chem, I'm pretty sure. Are those graduate schools heavily based on math? It's not even that I hate math either, I just generally can never grasp any of the concepts no matter how hard I try.

What exactly does the stats course focus on? Would it be better for me to then take Data Management next semester? And If I minor in business or finance, is there any grade 12 pre-req required for those minors?
Old 11-19-2012 at 04:57 PM   #10
cchels

Lol, college is not an option at this point....
Old 11-19-2012 at 05:15 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchels View Post
rpg51 - but Dental school doesn't require any math courses.. Just Anatomy, Biology, Physics, and Organic Chem, I'm pretty sure. Are those graduate schools heavily based on math? It's not even that I hate math either, I just generally can never grasp any of the concepts no matter how hard I try.

What exactly does the stats course focus on? Would it be better for me to then take Data Management next semester? And If I minor in business or finance, is there any grade 12 pre-req required for those minors?
Med school and dentistry school are professional schools, not graduate schools.

As I posted earlier, dentistry requires physiology which requires physics which requires math. I don't know how math-based the program itself is, though.
For med school you'd need to know things like kidney function and lung function that are all mathematically modeled, so I assume math is important there, though I'm not in med school so that's only a guess. I also assume med school will be heavily physiology-based, since physiology is the basis for understanding diseases.

Data management will help you a lot with stats.
Old 11-19-2012 at 05:17 PM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Lol, college is not an option at this point....
Also, college is ALWAYS an option. People go all the way through and get university degrees before going to college...you're in first semester of grade 12. Why wouldn't it be an option?
Old 11-19-2012 at 05:20 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you could easily do the math courses/w.e in university. most science kids suck hard in math and physics so dont worry too much. you can go into any undergrad and still get into w.e professional school you want.
Old 11-19-2012 at 05:27 PM   #14
cchels

I would go to college, but my parents are basically pushing me to go straight to uni. And personally, I don't really want to do 2/3 years of college, then 4 years uni, then grad school.. I feel like the time I spend in college, could've been spent in uni instead. And I think I'll just take Data next semester then, just to be on the safe side!
Old 11-19-2012 at 05:46 PM   #15
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
I would go to college, but my parents are basically pushing me to go straight to uni. And personally, I don't really want to do 2/3 years of college, then 4 years uni, then grad school.. I feel like the time I spend in college, could've been spent in uni instead. And I think I'll just take Data next semester then, just to be on the safe side!
Well if you fail out of university because you are uninterested and are only going into because your parents are pushing you too, then you may end up in college anyways. Uni is a lot of work and if you aren't determined, you won't make it through.

On the other hand, I would say try to push through advanced functions if anything. That way, when you are applying then you may be able to go into something that requires math but isn't horribly heavy in it. Trust me, the math in high school does have a purpose, and once you actually see real situations that it can be applied rather then the stupid scenarios you are learning now for "application" questions, it get more interesting and makes a bit more sense