MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inquiry 1hu3 Inquiry In The Humanities Chad 1st Year Course Reviews 13 09-08-2010 11:46 PM
inquiry 1SS3 ? kirsten..! Academics 2 06-16-2010 09:48 AM
Historical Muchmusic Countdown Lists? Allan General Discussion 6 10-14-2009 10:37 PM
Inquiry about fridge! dr34mXXX First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-29-2008 09:00 PM
Inquiry 1sc3? mizz.s. Academics 18 07-04-2008 05:13 PM

Historical Inquiry?

Old 06-04-2010 at 02:14 PM  
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Historical Inquiry?

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 06-04-2010 at 02:28 PM   #1
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunizoon View Post
So for all you history majors out there, what exactly is historical inquiry? What goes on in that class?
What's the course code?
Old 06-04-2010 at 02:29 PM   #2
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

History 2HI3. I read the description, and the course varies from year to year, depending on the prof's interests. I was just wondering what the load was like etc.
Old 06-04-2010 at 02:33 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
History 2HI3. I read the description, and the course varies from year to year, depending on the prof's interests. I was just wondering what the load was like etc.
I think it's a new course or one that's offered every 3-4 years. There are not course outlines from 08/09 or 09/10. As in the course wasn't offered.
Old 06-04-2010 at 02:34 PM   #4
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

^ It was offered in 2009-2010, but had a different course-code. (2P03)

Quote:
So for all you history majors out there, what exactly is historical inquiry? What goes on in that class?
From what I know, it's a seminar-like class. It's reserved for honours history majors only, and has small class sizes. It's meant to be a proper introduction to history at the university level. There's (a couple of?) paper(s) which assess your critical reasoning skills. Basically, it's meant to show you that post-secondary history is not the "X did this in Y year" type 'history' that a lot of people assume characterizes the discipline.

Old 06-04-2010 at 02:49 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
^ It was offered in 2009-2010, but had a different course-code. (2P03)

From what I know, it's a seminar-like class. It's reserved for honours history majors only, and has small class sizes. It's meant to be a proper introduction to history at the university level. There's (a couple of?) paper(s) which assess your critical reasoning skills. Basically, it's meant to show you that post-secondary history is not the "X did this in Y year" type 'history' that a lot of people assume characterizes the discipline.
Here are the course outlines: http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/~history/courses/u2009_2010.html

They have the marking scheme so that should help in terms of what you have to do in the course.
Old 06-04-2010 at 02:50 PM   #6
rebeccaaa

I was in History 2P03 last year which is the inquiry course for my year. It was with Dr. Egan and I loved it. Ours seemed to be more content driven as opposed to critical thinking skills. However, we had to create in inquiry question or hypothesis sort of thing, learn about finding primary sources and then make a proposal for our hypothesis. It was basically like preparing to write a paper without actually having written it because you needed a bibiolography and evidence and sources etc. just no real final product. I really enjoyed the couse, although it had heavy reading.
Old 06-04-2010 at 04:16 PM   #7
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I had it with Dr Horn, we did readings and then discussed them, and we had a few assignments which i believe were the same for all the inquiry classes. The big one was the one that rebeccaaa mentioned, where you had to prepare to write a paper but not actually write it.
Old 06-04-2010 at 04:25 PM   #8
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

How big are the classes usually?
Old 06-04-2010 at 04:56 PM   #9
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Our class (Dr. Horn's) had only around 30 or 35 people in it. Very nice size for a second year class and really preps you well for third and fourth year. The work can be demanding, but its very helpful.
Old 06-04-2010 at 07:14 PM   #10
rebeccaaa

Quote:
How big are the classes usually?
My class only had about 20.