MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inquiry 1SC3 batman 1st Year Course Reviews 7 12-30-2011 02:12 PM
Inquiry 1SC3 on SOLAR rabblerabble First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-04-2009 10:59 PM
Inquiry 1SC3 on SOLAR? k2s8262 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 11-02-2008 02:27 PM
Inquiry 1SC3 C06 Sept 16th Class Wolf11 Academics 0 09-14-2008 02:48 PM
Inquiry 1SC3 nuttynatz Academics 5 06-26-2008 01:15 PM

Inquiry 1sc3?

Old 07-11-2007 at 06:18 PM   #1
mizz.s.

Liked: 0 Times

Inquiry 1sc3?
How does this course work? and who is the easiest teacher for it? Any tips for doing well in this course? Thanks
Old 07-11-2007 at 06:37 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I'm not sure about 1SC3, but I took Inquiry 1HU3 and I believe they are similar, the course descriptions are basically identical.

Inquiry works like this... you are in a small class of people, usually a dozen or so (you get to know your classmates very well). Depending on the teacher you can do a variety of things. Some teachers require you to read a book, others don't. The majority of the class is dedicated to simply discussing issues. You sit in class and are marked based on participation, so you need to speak up and add to the discussion. The course also helps you to build questions and problem solving. There isn't an exam (at least not when I took it), and usually the amount of work is minimal, as long as you are a good communicator/talker during the classes.

Course description:
Quote:
This introduction to the systematic investigation of an issue develops skills that will serve students well in their university careers. Students learn how to formulate questions, gather and interpret evidence, and reach well-considered conclusions, using, as content, a variety of Science-based topics. The choice of topics is guided by the students' interest.
Old 07-13-2007 at 11:04 AM   #3
mizz.s.

ohhh i see, thanks and also which would be easier...inquiry or psych 1AA3?
Old 07-13-2007 at 02:24 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

My Guess would be that Inquiry is easier.

Psych 1AA3 covered many things and does have tests. But if you are interested in Psych... take it!

Here's the course outline.
Old 07-13-2007 at 02:39 PM   #5
mizz.s.

my last comparative question :$...sorry its just that I'm having the toughest time making my timetable, would inquiry or env sci 1A03 be easier? Also is there a way I can get those type out outlines for my other courses as well? a particular website?
Old 07-13-2007 at 02:46 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I haven't taken Environmental Science, so I'm not sure how easy it is. Maybe someone else who has taken it will reply.

But I would recommend Inquiry simply because it is a small group and no exam. Hopefully there are still spots available in it... check to see if it is full. If it's full, then you'll have to try one of your other choices.

Best bet is to search google with "McMaster" and then the course code. Most faculties have class outline websites, but you need to hunt for them. I just googled your course code and found that site.
Old 07-13-2007 at 02:49 PM   #7
mizz.s.

ok that sounds great! thanks a lot for ur help!
Old 07-15-2007 at 09:12 AM   #8
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

Inquiry is probably easier, but if you are in science and a hard worker, you shouldn't take inquiry.
I've been in that course for 3 weeks before taking astronomy, and it was the WORST! The prof hasn't showed up one week, and the course work is very obscure! On the first day some strange prof showed up, took us outside to a tree and gave us an article. Then there were some subjective "debate questions" afterwards.
I didn't really like it because there was no real science, and there was some very strange course. However, it is very easy as you show up for 2 hours each week, course work is minimal, and at the end you ask for the mark you want and the prof decides whether to give it to you :S. (Keep in mind that was 2 years ago and it was 1SC6, so it may have changed a bit)

I would suggest you keep 1SC3 as your second term course because it is limited, and you can switch to psych 1AA3 second term if you like the 1A03 course. Psych is usually easier to switch into than inquiry.

Comparing env sci and inquiry: they are both very easy courses. It's up to you whether you want to learn something or not. If you don't, take inquiry. Nonetheless, I would suggest keep inquiry and switch into something else second term if you like, but DON'T MISS THE DEADLINE IN DECEMBER OR JANUARY!

Paul

Last edited by paul : 07-15-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2007 at 11:02 PM   #9
emmm

inquiry 1sc3 is so easy!
definately take it
i did pretty much nothing all year, and ended up with a 12
and there are no exams - i wrote one paper that wasnt graded and did a couple group projects
but....if you want to learn something (although you'll be doing tons of that in your other courses) take psych b/c i hear that's fairly easy as well
Old 07-17-2007 at 08:23 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I think it can be concluded that Inquiry is an easy course, so if you're looking for a course to fly through with minimal work, take Inquiry. But if you're looking for something where you'll actually learn something useful (like... science)... then look elsewhere heh
Old 07-24-2007 at 11:18 PM   #11
nuttynatz

I dont understand how Inquiry works...it says its in term 3, what does that mean? does that means its in second term or is it split between term 1 and 2?
I am in the faculty of science and i cant decide between Environmental Science 1GO3 or Inquiry? Which ones easier? I heard that Inquiry might be hard because there is a lot of writing :S Any suggesttions?
Old 07-24-2007 at 11:26 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Term three means both terms one and two.

The weighting of Inquiry has changed (at least for Science); now MOST of the work occurs during second term, but you also have some work in term one. Before, Inquiry was only one term, period.

Personally, work during both terms but only getting three credits scares the CRAP out of me...I'd take Enviro Sci over that...
Old 07-24-2007 at 11:43 PM   #13
nuttynatz

really? Yea this course confuses me...I've heard its easy though...but i dunno anymore...i was told that if i take Inquiry i will end up having 16.5 units in term 1 and 13.5 in term 2? Is that really that bad?
Old 07-25-2007 at 07:53 AM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

16.5 units = how many classes? 6? 13.5 = 4 classes?

if that ends up being the case...i really don't know! inquiry was really never set up that way before...

and this new units calculation is also screwing me up a lot.
Old 07-25-2007 at 09:40 AM   #15
nuttynatz

yeaa mee too...ok i know that if u take inquiry...u have one hour classes in the term 1 and 2 hour classes in term 2...that doesnt sound too bad right? or does it?.....