MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
History 1A03 kokosas 1st Year Course Reviews 11 12-11-2012 09:01 PM
Art History 1A03 nlobo Academics 1 05-01-2011 08:27 PM
art history 1a03 epikness Academics 0 04-09-2011 01:29 PM
Art History 1A03 Help? Tallee Academics 0 09-11-2010 12:19 PM
Dropping Classics, History 1A03, History 1AA3 or Poli Sci 1G06? Tallee Academics 2 08-21-2010 12:17 AM

History 1A03

Old 09-09-2012 at 03:55 PM   #1
AnanC206
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

History 1A03
Has anyone taken this course and could tell me about it? I've read the course review for it but its not very recent. Was it very difficult, how hard were the essays, is it hard to get a good mark, do you recommend it as an elective? thanks
Old 09-09-2012 at 04:22 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I haven't taken History 1A03, but in terms of getting a good grade, most first year classes are designed to challenge students without killing them, so with hard work, keeping up with the readings, and working on essays early, you should be fine.

Additionally, I highly recommend talking to your TA's earlier about ideas for essays and not waiting till the last minute.

A structured essay is often something that most students don't realise is expected of them, and once you get your outline down, they are pretty formulaic to write. Additionally, most TA's will offer some sort of help with essays (e.g. reviewing your thesis statement and arguments, reading the first page, etc) and there are likely essay workshops on campus (e.g. Student Success Center, your specific faculty, Student Accessibility Services) or ones offered through your course that may be helpful for you.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-09-2012 at 04:55 PM   #3
JuliaEm

Liked: 0 Times

I took it in my first year, also with Armstrong, and it wasn't that bad. It's standard advice but keep on top of your readings. Armstrong has the tendency to go on mini rants about areas that interest her but she will still expect you to have a good knowledge of the material. As well, she usually gives her TAs very specific topics to discuss during tutorials based around the readings.

The essays are not hard as long as you prepare well enough in advance and do not write them last minute as tempting as it can be. Also, if you talk to your TA and show that you want to do well, they will help you.

Hope this helps.