MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
History 1AA3 kokosas 1st Year Course Reviews 13 04-10-2013 03:44 PM
Dropping Classics, History 1A03, History 1AA3 or Poli Sci 1G06? Tallee Academics 2 08-21-2010 12:17 AM
Art History 1AA3 MKelly Academics 0 06-22-2009 02:57 PM
Questions about a couple of courses: Econ, History, Indig St aani Academics 3 06-18-2009 08:31 PM
art history 1aa3 shleyaa Academics 3 12-22-2008 01:14 PM

history 1aa3 vs. econ? + various questions

Old 01-05-2011 at 09:54 PM   #1
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

history 1aa3 vs. econ? + various questions
I know there are a million of these kinds of threads out there, but please bear with me.

I'm in life science, and this semester I've got quite a workload; bio 1A03, 1M03, psych 1XX3 and chem 1AA3
on top of that, I'm taking history 1AA3. I've never had problems with essay writing, but I've realized there will be quite a bit of reading and the essay marks will almost entirely depend on how hard a marker the TA will be. x\ I really need to get high marks in this term, so I can't risk getting just a 9 or something around there... so should I be looking into switching into econ or health age while it's still early?

also, if I drop history now and switch into another course, will I get the full refund for history?

p.s I have read the course review for history 1AA3, I just didn't find it as helpful as I'd hoped.

Last edited by anon491 : 01-05-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2011 at 10:11 PM   #2
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
I know there are a million of these kinds of threads out there, but please bear with me.

I'm in life science, and this semester I've got quite a workload; bio 1A03, 1M03, psych 1XX3 and chem 1AA3
on top of that, I'm taking history 1AA3. I've never had problems with essay writing, but I've realized there will be quite a bit of reading and the essay marks will almost entirely depend on how hard a marker the TA will be. x\ I really need to get high marks in this term, so I can't risk getting just a 9 or something around there... so should I be looking into switching into econ or health age while it's still early?

also, if I drop history now and switch into another course, will I get the full refund for history?

p.s I have read the course review for history 1AA3, I just didn't find it as helpful as I'd hoped.
i had the exact same courses last year as you do, and i regret taking history 1aa3. it seemed to me like not a lot of work so with the workload of the other courses i didn't focus on it a lot. i think it would take a ton of work to get a 10+ in that course, and you'd have to have a reasonable TA and be good at essay writing because the essays are worth a lot. i haven't taken econ,but from what i hear it would definitely take less work to get a great mark. to make it worse i didn't find the course as interesting as i thought it would be. to sum it up, if marks and time are your main concerns don't take history 1aa3.

anon491 says thanks to brendanp for this post.
Old 01-05-2011 at 10:15 PM   #3
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
i had the exact same courses last year as you do, and i regret taking history 1aa3. it seemed to me like not a lot of work so with the workload of the other courses i didn't focus on it a lot. i think it would take a ton of work to get a 10+ in that course, and you'd have to have a reasonable TA and be good at essay writing because the essays are worth a lot. i haven't taken econ,but from what i hear it would definitely take less work to get a great mark. to make it worse i didn't find the course as interesting as i thought it would be. to sum it up, if marks and time are your main concerns don't take history 1aa3.
thanks for the advice. it's probably not a good idea to take the risk, so I'm going to try to switch it for something else.
Old 01-05-2011 at 10:32 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

econ in general is easier (especialy micro)

anon491 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 01-05-2011 at 10:43 PM   #5
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:

Yes! You have until January 11. As long as its the same number of units in both courses then its just a simple switch.

+1 for econ. Although you still have to put in some work to get a good mark it doesn't require much. Very simple concepts to learn.

anon491 says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 01-05-2011 at 10:56 PM   #6
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
Yes! You have until January 11. As long as its the same number of units in both courses then its just a simple switch.

+1 for econ. Although you still have to put in some work to get a good mark it doesn't require much. Very simple concepts to learn.
oh, okay, that's great!

unfortunately econ 1bb3 is conflicting with some of my labs, so I'll have to keep my eye out for 1b03. >__<
Old 01-05-2011 at 11:22 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

bo3 is the easeier one anyways
Old 01-06-2011 at 12:09 AM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:

had more or less the same sched as u last year plus and additional course (i took 18 units)... the elective i chose was geo 1hb3... it wasnt hard and you said you dont mind essays either (geo had a couple of short papers; two of which were group work so beware)... very easy to do well on the tests aswell if you just looked over notes/readings it was common sense .. i also took econ1b03 that year and surprisingly i didnt do aswell as i did in the geo course... probably because the material was outrageously boring(or maybe because i stopped going to lectures) ... but overall if you want the course with the least effort jsut stick to the econ