MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Soc Sci 2J03 lorend 2nd Year Course Reviews 18 12-10-2013 12:36 PM
History 2P03/History 2HI3 ardenelva 2nd Year Course Reviews 1 09-13-2011 08:05 PM
Dropping Classics, History 1A03, History 1AA3 or Poli Sci 1G06? Tallee Academics 2 08-21-2010 12:17 AM
Has anyone taken Poli Sci 2J03? goldfish101 Academics 3 04-18-2010 06:02 PM
French 2J03 nh999 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 12-29-2008 09:50 AM

History 2J03

History 2J03
Africa Up To 1800
Published by BenScott
06-01-2010
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 73%
History 2J03

This was the first history course that I took at Mac, and overall I enjoyed it.

The content was mostly enjoyable and engaging, with a focus mostly on West African cultures. My only complaint is the fact that so many civilizations are crammed into this course, its tough to appreciate them. Many African cultures simply are not discussed at all (i.e. Zulu) however I can only imagine how hard it is to sum up the entire pre-modern history of a continent into a single course!

I found the lectures to be a bit dry, and its easy to self-teach yourself from the text book. For the tests, make sure you know your stories and the names of the people discussed!

The TAs marked very inconsistently, but that changes from year to year so it's not a fault of the course.

The professor made some interesting points on historiography, and really opened my eyes to the bias in history. Cool stuff!
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for History 2J03!

Old 06-01-2010 at 07:49 AM   #2
BenScott

Liked: 1 Time
Changed to an appropriate course.

Last edited by BenScott : 06-01-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2011 at 12:45 AM   #3
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times
What was the format of the class like?
Old 08-15-2011 at 09:38 AM   #4
BenScott

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post
What was the format of the class like?
I took this course nearly 3 years ago so the format may have changed since then.

I believe I had 2 lectures/week and one tutorial/week. Tutorial marks were based on participation, so as long as you say something interesting each week you'll get decent marks. There was also a presentation in the tutorial.

I can't remember if there was a midterm, but there was a large final essay and an essay-based final exam. As long as you do your research, remember key people/events and can analyse the info you should be fine (as in any history course).

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search