MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your City Survey finklej MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-06-2010 11:00 AM
how to bus from Mac to Silver City, Ancaster? hamilton1555 General Discussion 10 11-21-2009 11:27 PM
SOCS in the CITY Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-31-2008 01:46 AM

Homeowners sue city over student renters

Old 04-06-2010 at 12:13 AM   #16
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Yeah student ghettos, that's just what we need.

I agree that the behavior shouldn't get out of hand and there are students who do get out of hand but honestly if you don't like living in an area with lots of students how about instead of trying to get them banned you move. There are lots of neighborhoods that are not in areas with post-secondary institutes and lots of students living in the area. Students live in that area b/c that's where they go to school.
well i see what ur saying but its hard to get up and move ur whole family to a diff area.. esp if a family has lived there for a while
Old 04-06-2010 at 12:34 AM   #17
Joey

Liked: 17 Times

This is a constant battle in Waterloo. With the two universities plus all of the professionals associated with RIM and such all wanted to live in the same area and trust me the permanent residents whine. We want to live close to where we work, it is better for the environment if we don't have to commute, the city has invested so much in uptown why can't we clean up king street, etc. It always pissed me off because there is a university there. where else do you want the students to go?

Student will be students. Noise, Parties and a little bit of mess is part of the experience. Of course if they are damaging property I can see the problem that has nothing to do with being students they are just crappy people.

Generalizing like this makes me feel like I am in high school again where a uniform seemed to give people a right to treat you poorly because you were in high school. God, I have stories on that.

Damn, Kids!!
Old 04-06-2010 at 03:30 PM   #18
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

If you lived in the 'shwa, and then students moved in around you and were rowdy and drunk all the time, your property value would go up.

The way property is assessed by the Oshawa municipal government states that drunken students raise the house value when they replace the standard crack-whore and meth-head population.

Oshawa is an example of how humans can de-evolve.

hahahahahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dl7H8KSHDs

adrian likes this.
Old 04-06-2010 at 04:52 PM   #19
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

To be honest, I would want students living in my neighborhood. I've lived in three different cities that were campus to universities and colleges (and lived pretty close to 'em too), and have never had an issue with "drunk, f'ed up" students.

The reason I say I would want students living in my area is because it jacks up property value. I mean look at most of the houses around Mac, most of them are crapshits, but landlords still end up making around $1400- $2200 a month, and there is always an endless supply of students waiting to pay to live there.
Old 04-06-2010 at 07:01 PM   #20
cammo_18

Liked: Liked 2 Times

This is a postcard of the Shwa if I've ever seen one

You have a guy sunning his belly, a homeless Santa and and some chick in the background.

I think a bunch of drunken teens would fit right in...

adrian, Parnian like this.
Old 04-06-2010 at 07:23 PM   #21
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammo_18 View Post

This is a postcard of the Shwa if I've ever seen one

You have a guy sunning his belly, a homeless Santa and and some chick in the background.

I think a bunch of drunken teens would fit right in...
Someone needs to talk to that man and explain what the letters on the tags of shirts mean... I don't think S is the right one for him.
Old 04-06-2010 at 08:59 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'm curious as to how these people know it's students doing all these bad things (like putting glass on the lawn). I'm sure it's a safe bet since there are schools nearby, but not everyone aged 19-23 is a student.

I remmeber hearing that only 25% of highschool graduates go onto college or university. So the odds are against these homeowners in assuming these people are students.
Old 04-07-2010 at 07:00 AM   #23
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I think the homeowners just assume it's a student because otherwise it would have to be their own kid(s) or their neighbours' kids. So it's easier to just blame the group that you feel doesn't belong in your community than own up to the fact that maybe the problem originated inside the community.

What I would like to know is if community members have tried to distinguish between the students who are causing problems and those that aren't. It doesn't seem fair to me to go after all students when it could just be a couple students causing the problems.
Old 04-07-2010 at 08:14 AM   #24
Bree_21

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
To be honest, I would want students living in my neighborhood. I've lived in three different cities that were campus to universities and colleges (and lived pretty close to 'em too), and have never had an issue with "drunk, f'ed up" students.

The reason I say I would want students living in my area is because it jacks up property value. I mean look at most of the houses around Mac, most of them are crapshits, but landlords still end up making around $1400- $2200 a month, and there is always an endless supply of students waiting to pay to live there.

Maybe you would like to own a home to rent out, but at 30 and 40 and 50 years old do you want to raise your kids and retire there? it's not about getting rid of students it's about enforcing the law more strictly. The acts that students are committing are illegal, and as univesity/college educated people they should face the consequences. They're adults! i don't go trying to kill your family pets with glass.. it's just not right!!!

And also having an endless supply of students to live there? I'm sure someone would much rather rent out to a nice couple in a nice neighbourhood (say etobicoke in toronto). High prices, good schools, nice homes, and little vandalism. Landlords have had to put too much time and money (i assume and have witnessed) with some students ..... Underage drinking (and cops being involved), damage to property (my landlord told me about a pipe being broken and needing to be replaced at $7000 out of her own pocket), not paying rent on time, roommates not cooperating, and the list goes on.
Old 04-07-2010 at 08:16 AM   #25
Bree_21

Liked: 10 Times

lol i''ve never been to oshawa but nice googlemap viewpoint picture ... is it really like that?
Old 04-07-2010 at 08:25 AM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree_21 View Post
lol i''ve never been to oshawa but nice googlemap viewpoint picture ... is it really like that?
Yes. Oshawa is the biggest shithole you'll ever have the pleasure of visiting.

And to your previous point....people throwing glass in someone's backyard has NOTHING to do with them being students. Hell, it happened over 5 years ago to my friend who lived in Bowmanville and it killed her dog. We don't have a university/college/student housing in Bowmanville.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 04-07-2010 at 08:53 AM   #27
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
The image is right downtown. I'm sure you could find something along the lines of that anywhere. It's all dependent on the area you're in, as with any city. I grew up in the Oshawa area and it really depends on where you look.
Old 04-07-2010 at 09:00 AM   #28
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

@Bree 21: Obviously there's profit in being a landlord for students, or people just wouldn't do it. I'm not saying there aren't obnoxious students, but they ARE the minority. As for raising kids, the point (I think) of the previous post was that it shouldn't be too hard to move out of a student dominated area, as there will be plenty of investors waiting to scoop up your 3 bedroom family home and turn it into a 6 person student house.

The real issue is that some cities won't allow an area to be entirely students, so they place restrictions on how many houses in a certain area can be designated as rental homes. This is what causes some people to be trapped in an undesirable area. I know that's the case in Waterloo.
Old 04-07-2010 at 12:50 PM   #29
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Maybe you would like to own a home to rent out, but at 30 and 40 and 50 years old do you want to raise your kids and retire there? it's not about getting rid of students it's about enforcing the law more strictly. The acts that students are committing are illegal, and as univesity/college educated people they should face the consequences. They're adults! i don't go trying to kill your family pets with glass.. it's just not right!!!

And also having an endless supply of students to live there? I'm sure someone would much rather rent out to a nice couple in a nice neighbourhood (say etobicoke in toronto). High prices, good schools, nice homes, and little vandalism. Landlords have had to put too much time and money (i assume and have witnessed) with some students ..... Underage drinking (and cops being involved), damage to property (my landlord told me about a pipe being broken and needing to be replaced at $7000 out of her own pocket), not paying rent on time, roommates not cooperating, and the list goes on.
Okay, as a student, you really shouldn't be demonizing students. Its unfair to say that university students are the ones that go around doing illegal stuff. The fact is young people, no matter university, college or high school, do stupid shit (not everyone, but there is a decent amount). The fact is the police or no one else has any proof that students were the ones that put the glass in the backyard. For all we know, it could've been high school kids, but just because there was university students living next door, they were to blame for it....i don't think thats fair, and thats definitely not enforcing the law.

If you ask me whether or not I would raise my children in an area with uni kids around, my answer is yes. Like I said, I've been raised around these type of neighborhoods, and I turned out okay. People love to talk about all of the negative things university students bring an area, but no ones willing to talk about the positives.

The fact is, growing up, I saw many many more role models around then drunk uni students that do illegal shit. I saw plenty of students that worked 25-30 hours a week to pay their rent, their tuition, and were very very responsible people, and the fact remains that those type of people are the majority...the drunk, stupid ones are the minority, so it is unfair to pass laws to prevent students from renting in a certain neighbourhood because of the actions of a few misguided people.

Lastly, if you honestly think landlords just have issues with students, you are sadly mistaken. The maintenance issues (like you mentioned broken pipes, and etc) will be there with any house. As far as underage drinking goes: yes this is one the biggest issues with any college/uni campus, but there really are better ways of preventing underage drinking than not letting people rent your house.

Joey, Lois, Parnian, sniderj like this.
Old 04-07-2010 at 03:17 PM   #30
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Is Westdale/Main St across from school considered a student community/area? Because I love Westdale and I'd like to live there someday. It's nicer than most parts of Hamilton.