MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible to get major in bsc. psych with minor in b.a. prgrm? Richa Academics 3 08-15-2010 03:49 AM
possible to graduate with a BA in 4th yr of an Honors program?? phlipside101 Academics 6 01-06-2010 12:44 PM
program size of honors molecular biology and genetics? shreya s. General Discussion 2 07-21-2009 01:24 PM
Combined honors programs changm24 General Discussion 2 03-16-2009 06:09 PM
Honors of Life Sciece? Rimpy Academics 1 08-31-2008 08:27 PM

Honors Psych Major...stressing out

Old 10-13-2010 at 10:38 PM   #1
smarties13

Liked: 16 Times

Honors Psych Major...stressing out
So im trying to get into honors psych next year and im doing pretty good right now in my courses, but i guess im a little anxious (like most first years i guess) about that C+ overall and this psych midterm coming up!! any advice from anyone in this program?
Old 10-13-2010 at 10:51 PM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

not in the program but:
- chill... one of the easiest ways to mess up a test is to overthink it... sometimes psych midterm questions are worded funny.... but just read the question a couple of times and select the best option... it might sound like common knowledge... but plenty of times ive walked out of a test then said OOOOOOOHHHHH now i know the answer... but it only comes to me after ive left the stressful situation
-go thru the lectures again and make notes... your own (cuz the courseware doesnt usually provide enough space)
-look over your quiz again
-are they doin that thing where a student gets to submit one question?... if so read the message boards
Old 10-13-2010 at 10:54 PM   #3
queenie

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
not in the program but:
- chill... one of the easiest ways to mess up a test is to overthink it... sometimes psych midterm questions are worded funny.... but just read the question a couple of times and select the best option... it might sound like common knowledge... but plenty of times ive walked out of a test then said OOOOOOOHHHHH now i know the answer... but it only comes to me after ive left the stressful situation
-go thru the lectures again and make notes... your own (cuz the courseware doesnt usually provide enough space)
-look over your quiz again
-are they doin that thing where a student gets to submit one question?... if so read the message boards
In the program and I agree with everything said above. The only thing I would only add is to READ QUESTIONS SLOWLY (underline as you go could help slow you down). The last thing you want to do is pick an answer based on familiarity.
Old 10-14-2010 at 12:26 AM   #4
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

The first year psych exams may not be what you are used to- I remember a lot of students doing horrible on the first mid-term, and attributed it to a general lack of experience with the kinds of questions that were asked. I would suggest (for 1X03) that you don't waste time nitpicking over minute details (there aren't many, not like in 1XX3) and get the core concepts down, then spend the extra time thinking about how these concepts can be applied to realistic scenarios.

Old 10-14-2010 at 12:35 AM   #5
smarties13

Liked: 16 Times

this sounds like really good advice, im also wondering whether this is a hard faculty to get in overall...........?!!
Old 10-14-2010 at 12:47 AM   #6
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties13 View Post
this sounds like really good advice, im also wondering whether this is a hard faculty to get in overall...........?!!
Kind of a difficult question to answer:

The "faculty" for psychology varies from humanities to science to social science, which offer several programs that have unlimited enrollment, assuming you possess some minimal requirements.

Certain programs within the department of psychology, neuroscience, and behaviour have limited enrollment, and of those certain programs are harder to get into than others. If you miss out on the program your program of choice, you can always shadow it by taking the program-specific courses and reapplying.

Old 10-14-2010 at 02:11 AM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

From a science perspective, psych is not a "hard" faculty to get into. Its just your average science major. So unless you're incredibly dumb (like, you fail at life and simply should quit now and go home), then you shouldnt have a huge problem.
But you may find that you don't like psych at all. So always keep your options open. Don't get tunnel vision.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 10-14-2010 at 12:58 PM   #8
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

The "faculty" for psychology varies from humanities to science to social science, which offer several programs that have unlimited enrollment, assuming you possess some minimal requirements.
I don't know about Humanities, but I know from personal experience that when you're applying to get into Psych from the Social Sciences, there IS limited enrollment. It's VERY popular. =/
I'd assume the same thing goes for Humanities, for the people who want to go into Ling Cog Sci, but I don't think it's nearly as competitive as it is in Soc Sci.

As for tips for exams and stuff, I definitely agree with the above, just would like to add:
-make sure you read each answer carefully & fully, as well. Don't just read the question and read option A, think it's correct, and mark it. I know it sounds really dumb that I am even mentioning this, but it happens a lot, especially when people are rushing. The way the questions are worded can also mess you up.
double checking your work also helps catch mistakes when you're re-reading questions & answers