MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How hard is it to switch from Honours Life Science into Honours Biology? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-31-2013 09:03 PM
Honours Life Science vs Honours Biology and Psychology Mac2012! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2012 07:58 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 39 06-04-2010 08:33 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 0 05-29-2010 04:47 PM

Honours Biology vs. Honours Life Science

Old 07-18-2014 at 05:31 PM   #1
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

Honours Biology vs. Honours Life Science
Hey, so I'm a student in the faculty of science going into second year. When you had to declare your major, included in my selections were Honours Life Science and Honours Biology. Initially I did not meet the minimum requirements for the bio stream but they have since lowered the required CA and sent out emails to students who didn't get in earlier.

So my question is basically, what are the pros and cons of each stream? I know it's a broad question and I plan to look in to them both myself, but I'm just looking for an opinion from upper year students or people who have been in this situation.

Somethings I'm curious about are: Level of difficulty of the required courses, elective choice, co-op opportunities, and freedom to move around within the program.

Any info would be great! Thanks!
Old 07-18-2014 at 06:50 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

both are pretty much the same degree with lots of room for electives and lots of courses that count for the degree requirements. there isnt much of a difference. look at the course calender. course difficulty isnt that high and tons of ppl in both program get close to 12 avg.

MovingTarget says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 07-18-2014 at 08:47 PM   #3
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

^Agreed. The main difference is that you have different required courses for both life sci and biology. For example, life sci requires to you to take Life Sci 2A03 (research methodologies) while biology requires you to take a certain number of biology courses both in 2nd and 3rd-4th years.

Life sci is therefore more general and there are fewer restrictions on what courses you need to take. It's not that big of a difference.

MovingTarget says thanks to 5.98e24 for this post.