MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour questions. Nyqtussin2 Academics 4 06-05-2010 10:40 AM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour B.A.

Old 05-29-2010 at 01:26 PM   #1
canada90

Liked: 3 Times

Honours Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour B.A.
Hey! I just finished my first year at mac and my marks were not as good as my high school marks thats for sure haha, and I know that next year I will do a lot better. However, because of this I didn't get into the honours program that I wanted - B.A. Honours Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour. I am in Social Sciences and I was wondering if there was any way to stay in "Social Science's" second year without selecting a "major" and to re-apply at the end of second year for the program. So I wanted to figure out if there were certain courses I had to take this year in order to re-apply at the end of next year? And is going in the "back door" even possible for this program, like is it possible to do this without re-doing first year?

OR another question, if I just did a B.A. in psychology without doing honours, could I still do a masters without an honours program? Thanks for all your help, I need it!
Old 05-29-2010 at 01:46 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

To do a masters in psychology you need to have an honours degree and write your GRE.

If you're taking social sciences, many of the courses like Psych 1X03/1XX3 will overlap with the Neuroscience program. Look at the prerequisites of the program and try to follow them as closely as possible. Then in second year apply to transfer to the Honours program.

You might want to talk to your academic advisor, I think her name is Ann Hollingshead
Old 05-29-2010 at 03:49 PM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada90 View Post
Hey! I just finished my first year at mac and my marks were not as good as my high school marks thats for sure haha, and I know that next year I will do a lot better. However, because of this I didn't get into the honours program that I wanted - B.A. Honours Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour. I am in Social Sciences and I was wondering if there was any way to stay in "Social Science's" second year without selecting a "major" and to re-apply at the end of second year for the program. So I wanted to figure out if there were certain courses I had to take this year in order to re-apply at the end of next year? And is going in the "back door" even possible for this program, like is it possible to do this without re-doing first year?

OR another question, if I just did a B.A. in psychology without doing honours, could I still do a masters without an honours program? Thanks for all your help, I need it!
Hey, you can still get into the H. PNB program so long as you can continue at Mac. Just take as many of the courses as you can that are required for the major in second year (and do well in them) and reapply in May of next year.

canada90 says thanks to sinthusized for this post.

canada90 likes this.
Old 05-29-2010 at 07:00 PM   #4
canada90

Oh really!? Awesome, thank you for clearing that up for me!
Old 06-28-2010 at 03:18 PM   #5
jchoi92

Liked: 0 Times

Hello Canada90,
I will be a first year at Mac for Social Science- Psychology
I was wondering if you could share with me what your schedule was like this year.
I'm working on my Mock timetable and I just want to know everything before I make my actual timetable, thanks!!
Old 06-29-2010 at 11:26 AM   #6
canada90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchoi92 View Post
Hello Canada90,
I will be a first year at Mac for Social Science- Psychology
I was wondering if you could share with me what your schedule was like this year.
I'm working on my Mock timetable and I just want to know everything before I make my actual timetable, thanks!!
Hey, for Psychology in Social Science's first year if you are wanting to get into the Honours Psychology program there are a few required courses. You need to have a Grade 12 biology and if not then you need to take a Grade 12 bio equivalent at mac. Im not sure exactly what the course code for that is because I had grade 12 bio and didn't need to take it. You need Grade 12 bio to get into the second semester 1st year Psychology course so you need to take the bio course 1st semester.

The other required courses to get into an honours course is calculus. If you don't have Grade 12 calculus, then like I had too, you will have to take Math 1F03 which is the equivalent to grade 12 calculus. Take that course 1st semester.

Then in second semester you will need to take either Math 1LS3 or Math 1M03. Either of these courses are good for getting into the honours program. I highly recommend taking Math 1LS3 because it's easier than the 1M03 course. I took 1M03 (which is a math for commerce and psychology) and it was super hard. Everyone that I knew in that course just passed it or failed. I just passed luckily. Everyone that I knew took 1LS3 said it was super easy and it was basically all review of grade 12 calculus. They said they didn't start doing integrals until the last 2 weeks of the course where as in 1M03 it's all integrals and new information, hardly any review.

Other than taking the bio, and those math courses, you will obviously need to take the 2 first year psychology courses - Psych 1X03 first semester and Psych 1XX3 second semester.

So in total the required courses that you need to take are: Psych 1X03, Psych 1XX3, Math 1F03 (if you don't have grade 12 calc), Math 1LS3, and Biology (if you don't have grade 12 bio).

Then you can take random social science electives to fill up the rest of your schedule, or even humanities electives. I took 3 anthropology courses, sociology, and a geography. Sociology is a full year course and I did really well in that one so I recommend taking it. All my electives were easy because I wanted to focus most of my attention on math and psych.

Anyways, good luck picking courses and have fun first year! Don't let your first year marks bring you down, I don't know one person from first year that did incredible. It's a big transition from high school. Hope I helped!
Old 06-29-2010 at 03:25 PM   #7
jchoi92

Thank you very very much! That helped A LOT!
I'm basically following your footsteps.
I took grade 12 U math but not calculus and I took grade 12 bio.
I just have one more question, for the honours program, would you recommend taking all three anthro and sociology courses?
Because so far, I chose French and Greek as electives.

French because I've been in french immersion since kindergarten so I thought it would be an easy course, Greek because I'm interested in it, and I thought it wouldn't be too hard as I know a couple people who have taken it who could help me out.

What do you recommend?
Thanks so much!
Old 07-01-2010 at 12:51 PM   #8
Skataelan

I'm going into Math and Stats I in Sept.
I want to get into get into this honours program second year and im choosing my courses for first year right now
One of the prerequisites is Math 1A03 or 1LS3... problem is that I can't take them because my program means I have to take Math 1X03, an antirequisite.
Does this mean that I can still get into the honours psych neuro and behav B.A. if I take all the other prerequisites or am I screwed..?
Old 07-01-2010 at 03:21 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

As far as I know, Math 1X03 is equivalent and should substitute for 1A03, but you should contact an academic advisor to make sure