MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour B.A. canada90 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-01-2010 03:21 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour questions.

Old 06-04-2010 at 10:54 AM   #1
Nyqtussin2

Liked: 0 Times

Honours Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour questions.
Hey, could someone tell me how this program is. Does it get tough in upper years with the research projects? How are the labs? Is it difficult to maintain a high GPA?

I'm debating whether to pick Psych or Honours Life Sic. I'm more interested in Psych, but i'm wondering whether it's better to go into Life Sci since my main goal is getting into a professional school like pharmacy or optometry. But just in case, that doesn't work out... Is it better to end up with a Life Sci honours degree or Psych degree in the end? Can I apply for graduate school with Honours Life sci?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-04-2010 at 12:24 PM   #2
mel89

Liked: 3 Times

Hey!
I had the exactt same dilemma! I ended up choosing Psych, and I don't regret it at all! If psychology is what interests you more, I would stick with the Psych program. It has alot more structure than the Life Sci program, which is why I think I chose it. Life Sci was too broad for me, and wasn't specialized enough. You do still have a fair amount of electives in Psych so you could fill that with any pre-reqs you may need for graduate schools. You can still apply to graduate school with Hon Life Sci, it doesn't really matter which degree you pick for that unless you are really interested in psychology and may want to do a graduate program in psych, it is recommended you are in the psych program because it fills those requirements schools look for and I think they'd rather take a psychology major.

Research projects aren't mandatory in the psych program, but they're a great idea to get involved in and get to know profs!
Check out the requirements for pharmacy and optometry, but it probably doesn't make a difference which degree you end up with to apply.

My GPA actually went up when I switched from Life Sci to Psych, because I enjoy the classes I'm taking now a lot better.
Check out the undergraduate calendar and the requirements for each program and see what interests you more- that's what should make your decision!

Hope that helped!

Nyqtussin2 says thanks to mel89 for this post.
Old 06-04-2010 at 04:10 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You can go into a masters program with Life Sciences. It may be beneficial for you to do a thesis, but as long as you have a certain cumulative average (I think it's 9.5) it's easy to find a supervisor. Keep in mind that a Masters in Psychology requires you to write your GRE as well.

As long as you fulfill the prerequisites it doesn't matter what program you're in. And to be honest, it's hard to find employment with a B.Sc in Psych or Life Sciences alone.

Nyqtussin2 says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 06-05-2010 at 10:37 AM   #4
Nyqtussin2

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks it did help.
um, would you say there is a lot of writing involved in the psych courses? I lack writing skills and i'm wondering whether that would affect my ability to do well in psych.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel89 View Post
Hey!
I had the exactt same dilemma! I ended up choosing Psych, and I don't regret it at all! If psychology is what interests you more, I would stick with the Psych program. It has alot more structure than the Life Sci program, which is why I think I chose it. Life Sci was too broad for me, and wasn't specialized enough. You do still have a fair amount of electives in Psych so you could fill that with any pre-reqs you may need for graduate schools. You can still apply to graduate school with Hon Life Sci, it doesn't really matter which degree you pick for that unless you are really interested in psychology and may want to do a graduate program in psych, it is recommended you are in the psych program because it fills those requirements schools look for and I think they'd rather take a psychology major.

Research projects aren't mandatory in the psych program, but they're a great idea to get involved in and get to know profs!
Check out the requirements for pharmacy and optometry, but it probably doesn't make a difference which degree you end up with to apply.

My GPA actually went up when I switched from Life Sci to Psych, because I enjoy the classes I'm taking now a lot better.
Check out the undergraduate calendar and the requirements for each program and see what interests you more- that's what should make your decision!

Hope that helped!
Old 06-05-2010 at 10:40 AM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyqtussin2 View Post
Thanks it did help.
um, would you say there is a lot of writing involved in the psych courses? I lack writing skills and i'm wondering whether that would affect my ability to do well in psych.
Depends on the course. I know Ostovich has all short answers/essays for her 3rd courses. Some have assignments. Others are all MC.

Nyqtussin2 says thanks to Lois for this post.