MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first year courses in upper years vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-22-2010 09:00 PM
Horizons Conference Staff Applications Up! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 05-27-2010 05:09 PM
any upper years on the waitlist for res this year? macbaby07 Residence & Housing 0 04-29-2010 04:54 PM
Horizons 2008: Staff Applications Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 05-19-2008 05:59 PM

Horizons: Are you attending (upper-year staff or first years)?

Old 07-24-2009 at 12:25 AM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Horizons: Are you attending (upper-year staff or first years)?
So I wanna know who is going to Horizons. Mostly because I'm impatient and can't wait for staff training on Saturday.

Sooo if you're staff please explain why first years should come to Horizons, and if you're a first year please explain why you wanna come!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-24-2009 at 12:49 AM   #2
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

staff member! why should first years come to horizons? well they get the honour of being the first incoming first years to meet many student leaders, and get to learn about the campus before everyone else! plus a weekend of absolute fun? come on, why wouldn't they come. Horizons is a great way to really get to know the campus before school starts, and you get to meet all the staff who are in many ways involved with extra cirricular activities. Biggest thing about horizons is you meet other first year students, so you already know someone at Mac!
Old 07-24-2009 at 12:57 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Staff!

I'm staff-ing because I didn't go to Horizons in my first year. It wasn't as big as it is now as it was then. Now hopefully I can live vicariously through someone else...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-24-2009 at 01:11 AM   #4
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Staff!

I'm staff-ing because I didn't go to Horizons in my first year. It wasn't as big as it is now as it was then. Now hopefully I can live vicariously through someone else...
hahaha ditto!

Planning Team here, and we're excited to meet all the staff on Saturday. It's gonna be an awesome day (hopefully without rain) and there will undoubtedly be some hoarse voices at the end of the day.

I'm disappointed that I didn't make it to Horizons in my first year but it's amazing to see former delegates become student leaders in later years.

Oh and another thing, if you've already applied as a delegate or a confirmed staff member, Join the Facebook Group! Search for "Horizons 2009" and it will be the group with the sun display picture.
Old 07-24-2009 at 01:51 AM   #5
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Also a staff member!

First year students should attend Horizons because it's an amazing experience. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend Horizons last year because I was working two jobs. It's one of the things I really regret now. A lot of my friends who went to the Horizons conference had a wonderful time and still talk about their experience. You also get a head start at meeting other first year students and also upper year students. Most of my friends that went ended up knowing lots of students even before Welcome Week, because they attended the conference.

I decided I definitely had to apply for Horizons as a staff member since I didn't get the chance to attend it last year. I'm really excited for the conference!

First year students, make sure you register before it's too late. You can find more information about registration here: http://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesan...gistration.htm
Old 07-24-2009 at 07:37 AM   #6
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Yup, I'm a staff member too! I'm pretty pumped about tomorrow! I never attended Horizons and I regretted it. I really encourage students to attend Horizons for the following reasons:
  1. You get to meet a ton of people from MacInsiders, haha
  2. It's a great way to physically explore the campus
  3. You make lots of friends BEFORE coming to Mac
  4. You learn a ton of essential skills that are invaluable
  5. It's a ton of fun!
  6. You learn all about the services that McMaster has to offer (like the Inter-Residence Council, McMaster Students Union)
  7. You get to meet people with similar interests. For example, I'm not like other Philosophy majors and I feel more comfortable around people who are really involved because we're more similar than people in my program-- but that might just be me.
  8. You get to experience what residence life is like (even if you end up being a SOC)
  9. It's like a pre-Welcome Week
  10. This will be an experience that you will always remember and cherish
Old 07-27-2009 at 12:05 AM   #7
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Yay, staff! I'm one too.

Doesn't seem like we're getting too many delegates though. I was one of the lucky ones to give in to the pressure of my cousin to do it, and I think it was worth every cent. Definitely changed my life for the better.
Old 08-07-2009 at 12:36 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

One week until Horizons!

Old 08-07-2009 at 01:53 PM   #9
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

H-OR-IZONS! Yes oh yes, Horizons the best!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 08-07-2009 at 02:21 PM   #10
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Yea I'm attending!! As a delegate though lol. I'm really excited. It just looked like a great way to start of my year and see what leadership at mac was about. And it looked like alot of fun lol.

lorend likes this.
Old 08-07-2009 at 09:20 PM   #11
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

I know this is going to sound REALLY stupid, but...

what is horizons?
:S
Old 08-07-2009 at 09:47 PM   #12
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

Horizons is a student run "conference" 3 days 2 night ... OH JUST READ THIS:

"What is it? It's an awesome 3 day, 2 night leadership-based camp held at McMaster University designed for first years; by students, for students. It gives first year students a rare glimpse into university life and a chance to establish life-long friendships, all before the chaos and fun that is Welcome Week! At Horizons, you will get to do experience things like:

• Inspirational Speakers
  • Campus-Wide Events
  • Night Out in Downtown Hamilton
  • Mini Clubsfest
  • Meeting Upper-Year Student Leaders"

That's the first time I've quoted myself LOL You can check out the whole article here:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2273 7

Oh and I'm going as a delegate. So excited to meet everyone!
- Moulton Hall
Old 08-07-2009 at 10:12 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Awesome! I'm coming as well.. as a delegate too haha, maybe a staff next year or something. I can't wait for another chance to be on campus, let alone a chance to experience residence life and see everything Welcome Week has to offer, but 3 weeks earlier! Can't wait to meet everyone, and participate in all the activities! 6 days left!
Old 08-07-2009 at 10:14 PM   #14
Gibson

Liked: 3 Times

So pumped for the weekend, which res do we get to sleep in?
Old 08-07-2009 at 10:16 PM   #15
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

heyy, that sounds pretty cool
when is this taking place?!
I cant believe I did NOT knoow about this :S
everything else, I pretty much know..
this is just totally new.
is this for people living on rez or just for everyone?