MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU Initiative: Healthy Food Options @1280/Chip Wagon Matt Wright General Discussion 29 02-11-2010 06:27 PM
OT- Question for hospital volunteers at Mac Hospital darklink121 General Discussion 5 10-12-2009 12:07 AM
New Theft Prevention Initiative Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-04-2008 09:12 AM

Hospital Helpers: A new club initiative

Old 09-16-2008 at 12:39 PM   #1
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

By ADRIAN, GUEST WRITER

A year and a half ago, my friend fell ill and had to be admitted into a hospital. Since my friend's family does not live in the area(my friend was also my neighbor in residence), I kinda started paying my friend regular visits. I found out a couple of things on these visits. Some of them were good and others not so much. The good thing is that the people in the hospital actually do want to make you better and they will go a long way to achieve that goal. The bad news is that while hospital staff is trying, it doesn't change the fact that you're in a hospital. No proper shower, no food like at home, nothing to do for hours, some regular every-day convenience items are restricted and the biggest one is that you're confined in the same place for extended periods of time. Of course some of the patients experience these things more or less, but you get the general idea.

I wanted to start the club in order to help the hospital staff and the patience alleviate some of the things I just mentioned. And that is the reason that this club got started over facebook in 2nd term last year. From there, things started piling up. I made a connection with St. Joseph's hospital and they received us with open arms. Soon, the facebook club had enough members that we had an initial trip(the 10 of us) down to get some basic info. After that we had a training meeting. And at the same time I think it was that we had our first social outing, at a sushi restaurant. That seemed a brilliant start for the new club, and with a bit more members I think it is really useful.

At the hospital, what we do is we go in and hook up with 1(or several) of the 76 patients on the complex care unit(there is room for growth, eh?)and do fun stuff. Reading, watching TV, telling jokes, playing Scrabble or making crafts, these things, as I found out with my friend, help immensely overcome the negative effects of being in the hospital . I find myself laughing and having a good time every time I go in.

Cheers,
Adrian
Old 09-16-2008 at 01:07 PM   #2
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

So for those of you who think this sounds like an interesting and great idea (cause i did), there is a grand opening meeting today (16th) from 4:30 - 5:30 in MUSC Clubspace 215. I checked it out on the facebook group.
Old 09-17-2008 at 01:35 PM   #3
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

By ADRIAN, GUEST WRITER

A year and a half ago, my friend fell ill and had to be admitted into a hospital. Since my friend's family does not live in the area(my friend was also my neighbor in residence), I kinda started paying my friend regular visits. I found out a couple of things on these visits. Some of them were good and others not so much. The good thing is that the people in the hospital actually do want to make you better and they will go a long way to achieve that goal. The bad news is that while hospital staff is trying, it doesn't change the fact that you're in a hospital. No proper shower, no food like at home, nothing to do for hours, some regular every-day convenience items are restricted and the biggest one is that you're confined in the same place for extended periods of time. Of course some of the patients experience these things more or less, but you get the general idea.

I wanted to start the club in order to help the hospital staff and the patience alleviate some of the things I just mentioned. And that is the reason that this club got started over facebook in 2nd term last year. From there, things started piling up. I made a connection with St. Joseph's hospital and they received us with open arms. Soon, the facebook club had enough members that we had an initial trip(the 10 of us) down to get some basic info. After that we had a training meeting. And at the same time I think it was that we had our first social outing, at a sushi restaurant. That seemed a brilliant start for the new club, and with a bit more members I think it is really useful.

At the hospital, what we do is we go in and hook up with 1(or several) of the 76 patients on the complex care unit(there is room for growth, eh?)and do fun stuff. Reading, watching TV, telling jokes, playing Scrabble or making crafts, these things, as I found out with my friend, help immensely overcome the negative effects of being in the hospital . I find myself laughing and having a good time every time I go in.

Cheers,
Adrian
oh no! This is sounds exactly like something I would want to do, I did something similar in high school and would really really like to get involved, but I only saw this now and thus missed the opening meeting. :( Is there anyway I could still get involved?
Old 09-17-2008 at 01:59 PM   #4
notredame

Liked: 0 Times

join the group on facebook.
they said that is how they will get information out to those who are interested in this. just search "Hospital Helpers" and join it
Old 09-17-2008 at 08:41 PM   #5
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaa View Post
oh no! This is sounds exactly like something I would want to do, I did something similar in high school and would really really like to get involved, but I only saw this now and thus missed the opening meeting. :( Is there anyway I could still get involved?
New volunteers are always welcome! Especially enthusiastic ones!
Cheers,
Adrian

**jewel 03** says thanks to adrian for this post.