hey just wandering wats better for off campus house or apartment

in terms of space, cost, and w.e else.
thanks
~k
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:57 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

i heard all apartments are gone. theyre just prob nicer/single rooms(or few rooms per unit)
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:02 PM   #3
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

That's not really something you can ask generally. It all depends on how many people you're sharing it with and the utilities included or not included, rent cost, distance to school, does it have a/c etc. All things to consider.
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:07 PM   #4
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

It definitly depends on who you are living with in the house. Also, rooms in houses tend to cost less than apartments, just because you are spliting utilities and such between more people. Also, with houses, if you're lucky you can find one with utilities included and not have to worry about excessive bills. My advise is, go with a house of people you know and save getting an apartment until a time when you can afford it (unless you have the $$ for an apartment)
Good luck!
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:10 PM   #5
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

i'm on the waiting list for an 8 month lease at the 191 main st. west apartment, anybody live there?
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:11 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I agree with Valerie but it's hard to fnd a house now in January, especially with people you know, unfortunately. Usually they're all set by now.

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 01-23-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:17 PM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

haha thx for the advise, actually i was just wandering what was cheaper and what was better, ive already gotten a group i staying with and were deciding b/w 2 house so hopefully wihin the next day or 2 we get a lease signed with one fo them
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:24 PM   #8
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

Yay! thats good... I live with a bunch of randoms and some are more tolerable than others... but I'm champing out my last year just because it's more affordable
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:09 PM   #9
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkozina View Post
Yay! thats good... I live with a bunch of randoms and some are more tolerable than others... but I'm champing out my last year just because it's more affordable
Just want to ask, how does the cleaning arrangement get settle between 6-7 people in the house?

Bathrooms? Kitchens? Floors?

Any personal experience in regard to this?
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:10 PM   #10
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

If you can afford it, go with apartment. Student houses are a ****ing shithole. I recommend you hire maid service once or twice a month.
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:25 PM   #11
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
If you can afford it, go with apartment. Student houses are a ****ing shithole. I recommend you hire maid service once or twice a month.
Do you have maid service at your place? How did that work out? How much did it cost you guys?
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:25 PM   #12
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

As far as costs go:

Bachelor Apartment > Small House > Large House ~= Multi-Person Apartment > Landlord's Basement

Assuming we're talking about the same quality of housing, Bachelors apartments can easily get to $600/$700/month while living with a landlord usually gets you an awesome place for around $400 (with everything included).

Small houses (5 people or less) can end up paying a lot in utilities but are one of the better options if you don't wanna live with strangers and still want to be near campus. Large houses pay less in utilities (because it's split over more people) but it can be hard to fill larger houses with a single group of people. Large Apartments usually cost a bit more, but tend to pay even less in utilities.

If you have a small group of friends, it really depends on what you value more: if it's distance from the school, go with a small house; if it's cost/privacy, go with an apartment.

Desda likes this.
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:29 PM   #13
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Do you have maid service at your place? How did that work out? How much did it cost you guys?
Lol, we don't. It's beyond hope. All I ever do is go in the front door and upstairs. Occasionally I venture into the basement to do my laundry. Welcome to visit and witness the shittiest place to live in Hamilton.
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:32 PM   #14
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Lol, we don't. It's beyond hope. All I ever do is go in the front door and upstairs. Occasionally I venture into the basement to do my laundry. Welcome to visit and witness the shittiest place to live in Hamilton.
That sounds depressing.

How long have you been living at the place? Why do you think it went so sour? Was it because due to poor choices in roommates? Did you know them beforehand or random strangers?

Going through it all, beside suggesting a maid, what else would you do to prevent another situation like this?
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:40 PM   #15
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
mine isn't a shithole guess you have to look around better.