MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's my Timetable? Gorn Academics 3 06-19-2012 06:17 AM
how's second year? luna General Discussion 18 08-30-2011 06:38 PM
How's my timetable look so far? omgwtfitsp First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-15-2011 12:44 PM
How's your first day?! lawleypop General Discussion 53 09-11-2009 12:29 PM
How's This Course Load? zango First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-08-2008 08:14 PM

How's commuting?

Old 07-27-2012 at 10:46 PM   #31
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

at least to sauga, on a regular skool day, the last bus would be at 10:50 pm.

Yes the bus get pretty packed, but mainly on Friday nights and Monday mornings.

karsyliss says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.
Old 07-27-2012 at 11:13 PM   #32
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
at least to sauga, on a regular skool day, the last bus would be at 10:50 pm.

Yes the bus get pretty packed, but mainly on Friday nights and Monday mornings.
Or Thursday afternoons when rez people want to go home early for the weekend.

karsyliss says thanks to sinnersdrown for this post.
Old 07-29-2012 at 10:51 AM   #33
alyssarr

Liked: 51 Times

I commute from Burlington (not far) everyday, the only thing I didn't like was when the GO bus was full and I had to stand -.- Just blast some music & it will be alllrrrighhht!

karsyliss likes this.
Old 07-29-2012 at 04:10 PM   #34
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but it's entirely doable. I felt it helped me build good study skills since I would have essentially 2 hours each day lost to the commute.

Old 07-29-2012 at 06:02 PM   #35
karsyliss

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina View Post
I'm so glad to see i'm not the only one who has to communte. Dont worry we can have our own little party on the GO bus

Where are you communting from?

I'm commuting from Brampton. Fun, fun, fun.
Old 07-29-2012 at 07:39 PM   #36
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsyliss View Post
I'm commuting from Brampton. Fun, fun, fun.
The 47A express is the bus u shd look 4. It only stops at sq one on the way to Mac
Old 07-29-2012 at 08:35 PM   #37
karsyliss

Quote:
The 47A express is the bus u shd look 4. It only stops at sq one on the way to Mac
Yeah see that's where I get confused: the routes.
How about the 47F? I took that bus once and it took me straight to Mac, no stops on the way.
Old 07-29-2012 at 10:22 PM   #38
jon.john23
Elite Member

47F takes you directly to Mac, no stops on the way.

But on a typical skool day try to catch the 47A as the 47F is not very frequent, infact i think it only operates in the morning from Bramalea.
Or if all else fails the take the 47 from Mac, which stops at 3 car pools, sq one and then Bramalea Go.

Also the only bus operating on Saturday is the 47G which is every hour. U'll be taking this bus if you have a test on Saturday, which is the case if your gonna take ECON 1B03/1BB3.

karsyliss likes this.
Old 07-29-2012 at 10:50 PM   #39
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
I haven't had to commute for school since I live in Hamilton - although it's still about a 20 minute bus ride for me, plus almost 10 minutes to walk to the bus stop. However, I am on a coop term right now, and I commute to Toronto every day. It takes me about 20 minutes to get from the bus stop by my house to the GO station, and from there it takes usually about an hour to get to Union station, sometimes up to an hour and a half if the traffic is heavy. I get to Union at about 830 most days and walk to work from there, which only takes five minutes or so. I'm supposed to start at 9 but I'm always there early. Then I finish work at 6 and walk back to Union and do the whole trip in reverse and get home just before 8, most of the time.

Basically, my work day + commute means I leave home at 6:30AM and get home at 7:30PM. About three hours of that time is spent on buses. So if you have to spend an hour and a half per day on buses for your school commute... IMO that is not bad at all, lol.
I'm going to be enrolled at a program in Toronto soon and thought of living there instead of commuting, but now after reading your post, I'm getting encouraged to stay at home and commute instead, with my own car though. Would that be a good idea? Any advice on that is really appreciated!
Old 07-30-2012 at 06:48 AM   #40
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

Many great points raised here! My problem with transit is the cumulative amount of time spent, 40 minutes back and forth everyday really adds up by the end of a year. From my experiences I find HSR somewhat unreliable. To improve your situation I suggest making friends on and off campus, and leaving that little extra bit early before exams. Knowing someone off campus and parking on their grass is clutch (saves you a parking pass, some houses are closer to campus than the parkinglots).

karsyliss likes this.
Old 07-30-2012 at 09:16 AM   #41
karsyliss

Quote:
47F takes you directly to Mac, no stops on the way.

But on a typical skool day try to catch the 47A as the 47F is not very frequent, infact i think it only operates in the morning from Bramalea.
Or if all else fails the take the 47 from Mac, which stops at 3 car pools, sq one and then Bramalea Go.

Also the only bus operating on Saturday is the 47G which is every hour. U'll be taking this bus if you have a test on Saturday, which is the case if your gonna take ECON 1B03/1BB3.
Yeah I kinda figured because when I went to attend a campus tour I took the 8:15 bus and then I had to wait till 4:30 to catch the next 47F bus back home which was quite a long time considering I had finished the tour earlier.

And oh my I took both Econ courses! Also does the 47G make stops along the way? Ack I'm asking you too much questions aren't I?
Old 07-30-2012 at 09:23 AM   #42
karsyliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marooner View Post
Many great points raised here! My problem with transit is the cumulative amount of time spent, 40 minutes back and forth everyday really adds up by the end of a year. From my experiences I find HSR somewhat unreliable. To improve your situation I suggest making friends on and off campus, and leaving that little extra bit early before exams. Knowing someone off campus and parking on their grass is clutch (saves you a parking pass, some houses are closer to campus than the parkinglots).
I heard that students get to go on the HSR for free? :/
And yeah if all fails then I'll have that option of staying with a friend to look into. As a matter of fact I did have a couple of offers but, I turned them down only because I felt that I'm still not ready for that change yet.

I want to commute, see how it works and if it's not my cup of tea then I'll go back to those offers in hopes that they are still available :-)
Old 07-30-2012 at 09:50 AM   #43
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Yeah I kinda figured because when I went to attend a campus tour I took the 8:15 bus and then I had to wait till 4:30 to catch the next 47F bus back home which was quite a long time considering I had finished the tour earlier.

And oh my I took both Econ courses! Also does the 47G make stops along the way? Ack I'm asking you too much questions aren't I?
Yes. The 47G stops everywhere the 47 does if I recall correctly.
Old 07-30-2012 at 10:07 AM   #44
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:

Yup 47G stops are all car pools and terminals, since its the only bus that operate on that route on Saturday. Its pretty much like the 47 on a weeekday.
Old 07-30-2012 at 10:28 AM   #45
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
I heard that students get to go on the HSR for free? :/
And yeah if all fails then I'll have that option of staying with a friend to look into. As a matter of fact I did have a couple of offers but, I turned them down only because I felt that I'm still not ready for that change yet.

I want to commute, see how it works and if it's not my cup of tea then I'll go back to those offers in hopes that they are still available :-)
yeah the HSR fee is added to tuition, so as long as you have your student card you're good to go! really convenient if you wanna drop by Jackson square for a movie in between classes