MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's my Timetable? Gorn Academics 3 06-19-2012 06:17 AM
how's second year? luna General Discussion 18 08-30-2011 06:38 PM
How's my timetable look so far? omgwtfitsp First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-15-2011 12:44 PM
How's your first day?! lawleypop General Discussion 53 09-11-2009 12:29 PM
How's This Course Load? zango First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-08-2008 08:14 PM

How's Koodo at Mac?

Old 07-30-2012 at 03:08 PM   #1
thuks0251

Liked: 10 Times

How's Koodo at Mac?
Hey!

So, I was just wondering if someone could help me choose between Koodo and Wind? I have no idea which one's better. I'd love to hear which phone plan students are using!

Thanks so much!
Old 07-30-2012 at 03:17 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Koodo is obviously much better since it runs on the network Telus manages. Telus and Bell have a tower sharing agreement so their coverage is much better than Rogers in general as well. WIND is a relatively new player compared to the big 3 but the reception at campus is good if you consider how much you're paying on a monthly basis. There is a WIND tower on/near MUSC & KTH.

I'm currently with WIND, and I signed up August of last year and the reception overall has been 'okay'. I can live with it, since I've only been paying $29/mo for the first 12 months. WIND will soon be making changes to their two monthly plans prior to school starting so if you want to go with WIND you might want to hold out a bit longer. For example, in the $40/mo plan, VM will be included.

Here is quote from a reliable source from another website which I frequent:

Quote:
Existing customers are eligible for the plans, with a $25 migration fee.

$29/mo
Unlimited local talk + Canada-wide text
Unlimited data

$40/mo
Unlimited Canada-wide talk + text
Unlimited Data
Voicemail+

Both plans include caller ID as usual, are eligible for better together savings and are good for life.

A new deposit system will be implemented as well, whereby individuals who do not pass a credit check may leave a deposit and be eligible for up to $200 on WINDtab. This will enable those who do not pass a credit check to activate on postpaid service.

thuks0251 says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

thuks0251 likes this.
Old 07-30-2012 at 03:26 PM   #3
thuks0251

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Koodo is obviously much better since it runs on the network Telus manages. Telus and Bell have a tower sharing agreement so their coverage is much better than Rogers in general as well.
That's great actually! Uhm... is it true that Koodo to Koodo is free? as in if one of my friends have Koodo, can I talk to them as much as I want if I use Koodo??

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2012 at 03:43 PM   #4
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuks0251 View Post
That's great actually! Uhm... is it true that Koodo to Koodo is free? as in if one of my friends have Koodo, can I talk to them as much as I want if I use Koodo??

Thanks!
I'm not sure about this since I know very few people with Koodo.

I've had Koodo since September 2011 and I am super happy with them. I don't have a super fancy plan, maybe like 100 minutes, unlimited texting, and Data Saver. Data Saver is almost like 'pay as you go' except obviously the rates are pretty good. Like free up to 25 MB, $5 up to 100 MB, $10 up to 500 MB, and so forth (or something like that). I use Wifi at home so my total bill is never that much. I like it because it allows me to use data freely when I'm not home without having to worry about 'going over' and pay those ridiculous charges.

I have never had any issues with quality.

thuks0251 says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.
Old 07-30-2012 at 03:44 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I cannot find such information on their website unfortunately. The closest thing to that would be the Five Essentials (Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and Messaging to 5 Numbers) add on which would be an additional $10/mo.

Quote:
Keep your five best friends close. With unlimited nationwide talking and messaging to five numbers on any network, you'll never be out of touch

thuks0251 says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

thuks0251 likes this.
Old 07-30-2012 at 03:54 PM   #6
thuks0251

Alright Thanks soo much you guys! Now, I can just go and pay!
Old 07-30-2012 at 04:33 PM   #7
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Koodo any day! Koodo's Nation wide calling feature is unbeatable. It is super convenient not to worry about long distance charges. Reception is great at and all around McMaster. They have great plans and a nice tab system for phones. Wind receives mixed reviews. They also have some great plans but they don't have nation wide calling. I've been with koodo since it came out in the market, a very satisfied customer.

thuks0251 likes this.
Old 07-30-2012 at 04:36 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

@herbs what are they adding to their existing plan?
Old 07-30-2012 at 04:40 PM   #9
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

My koodo reception has been good. I thought my bell reception was worse actually, could've been my old phone tho. I also don't have a fancy plan but I'm loving it. I mostly only NEED the unlimited texting . Plus I love the tab thing, don't have to pay to leave a contract, just have to pay off your tab.
Old 07-30-2012 at 05:18 PM   #10
aspire.dream

Liked: 1 Time

Koodo is great! I'd definitely reccommend them! I have $35 for unlimited talk/text. Koodo to koodo IS free aswell but since I already have unlimited it's not that great lol. The only dead zone on campus is 3/4 of MDCL 1102 but other than that I haven't had any problems at all even in basement rooms! Do it haha

thuks0251 says thanks to aspire.dream for this post.

thuks0251 likes this.
Old 07-30-2012 at 05:20 PM   #11
aspire.dream

Liked: 1 Time

btw if anyone is planning on getting koodo I can get them $25 off the cost of their phone (tab) by refering them! anyone can do it I don't work for them. Inbox me
Old 07-30-2012 at 06:05 PM   #12
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times

thanks guys! i too am planning on getting my very first cell phone. with koodo. I am going for their 25$/month plan...and the phone i am going to get is a samsung galaxy ace android. any reviews or opinions on this phone? thanks!
Old 07-30-2012 at 06:16 PM   #13
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
thanks guys! i too am planning on getting my very first cell phone. with koodo. I am going for their 25$/month plan...and the phone i am going to get is a samsung galaxy ace android. any reviews or opinions on this phone? thanks!
Unfortunately I have kinda a bad review. That's the one I got from koodo. Its my first smartphone ever so I absolutely loved it.and really its not that bad, but it gets pretty slow sometimes, and has absolutely awful internal memory. I have a 4gb SD card, and that's great for pictures, but a lot of apps don't let u move to the SD, so it fills up fast, I'm having a lot of issues with that. If u don't need a lot of apps u might be fine. And when I say a lot I mean I'm not able to fit more than gmail, Hotmail, Facebook, twitter on it, the rest are on the SD, and it yells at me saying its full and I must delete to receive incoming texts.

Awesomeness says thanks to Melanieee for this post.
Old 07-30-2012 at 08:56 PM   #14
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I had a Koodo phone for two years and it was great. I went to Wind for a year, which was absolutely horrible. I knew many who got it, and then switched out 2-3 months later (once their phone was unlocked). I hated it within a week, and switched to Rogers after a year. Rogers has had great reception. I haven't had Wind in roughly 6 months now, but I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone in and around Hamilton (its nice near Toronto/Mississauga).
Old 07-30-2012 at 08:59 PM   #15
thuks0251

^ I like your signature