MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Spring/Summer 2012 Timetable Posted lizziepizzie Academics 20 05-27-2012 03:22 PM
Support Motivation for McMaster's Transition into an MSU Service starting in the 2012 MacMFM Clubs & Groups 0 11-20-2011 12:09 AM
is Math 1M03 offered spring/summer 2012 demi123 Academics 1 11-09-2011 10:46 AM
OSAP breakdown? shashycookie Financial Aid 2 07-22-2011 09:10 AM
Post breakdown. Entropy General Discussion 14 10-21-2010 11:45 PM

HSR service change breakdown for Spring 2012

Old 03-13-2012 at 12:23 AM   #1
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

HSR service change breakdown for Spring 2012
Some pretty nice changes they announced!

I'll highlight the main points relevant to most students:

'5 Delaware'
As per customer requests, an earlier eastbound trip was added in the morning, departing Pirie & Governors at 5:31am on weekday morning.

'51 University'
One additional late evening westbound trip has been added. The University route only operates up to Saturday April 28th and will resume at the beginning of September.

'1A King'
The late evening service was revised to 20 minutes on Weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays. The mid-day service on Sundays was increased to every 10 minutes. Every other bus continues to/from Fiesta Mall resulting in a 20 minute service along this section.

Anywho, spread the word..

ciannozzi, Ish001, meandyou, richardysm, Salik, xo.monica all say thanks to ikantsepll for this post.

xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 03-13-2012 at 12:28 AM   #2
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

Why is there no improvement in the 5C meadowlands :@

All 5C's need to start operating from/to meadowlands, otherwise longer busses are needed. Its a pain in the butt to sometimes not even get a spot on that bus and to have to wait another half an hour :/
Old 03-13-2012 at 12:30 AM   #3
ikantsepll
J's Prince

I was really hoping for the 10 Beeline to operate past 7:30 or at least do weekends

Took me well over an hour to get home tonight

ArfuzeToLose likes this.
Old 03-13-2012 at 12:31 AM   #4
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

^that too

/12char
Old 03-13-2012 at 02:15 AM   #5
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salik View Post
Why is there no improvement in the 5C meadowlands :@

All 5C's need to start operating from/to meadowlands, otherwise longer busses are needed. Its a pain in the butt to sometimes not even get a spot on that bus and to have to wait another half an hour :/
THIS. SO MUCH.

The problem with providing accordion buses to the 5C is that capacity isn't constantly high. Once you get past Main at Whitney, it usually empties out pretty well.

All the 5Cs do operate to/from Meadowlands until the summer (on weekdays, at least), when the 51 stops and the is replaced by the "West Hamilton Loop" 5C.

But that doesn't mean there aren't any issues with the way things are run now. Many n:52 5A buses (where n = 7, 8, 9, 10) not only run late, but are also overcrowded. To make matters worse, these are occasionally the lame "one-floor with rear-facing seats" model which are uncomfortable and have fewer seats than normal.

Something needs to be done to deter students taking the 5C just to Emerson/Whitney. It's nice when the drivers tell students to wait for a 51, but many don't, so if you're headed to Meadowlands and waiting at the stop in front of JHE (or godforbid, T13) you're probably not getting a seat. Maybe tweak the routes so that the 51 always precedes the 5C, or have the 5C not stop along Emerson and Whitney, or shift the 5C altogether so that it runs along Main, then turns left where it'd eventually become Wilson.

I hate to admit it, but if I see a 5C on its way and my stop is crowded, I don't really have a choice but to drop all etiquette and do whatever it takes to get a seat. Usually this means just sneaking in front of some people, but it's unfortunate that I have to resort to this. The alternative is a 30+ minute wait though, so it's every man for himself.

Also, some 5C or 5A service on weekends would be pretty cool, HSR. Do they just assume that Ancaster residents all have cars or something? It's bad enough living so deep in Ancaster that the nearest bus stops are 25-35 minutes away even when the buses do run. I'm sure students wouldn't mind taking a bus to the theatre on weekends too.

Last edited by Entropy : 03-13-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Old 03-14-2012 at 09:38 AM   #6
ikantsepll
J's Prince

^ LOL. I'm so glad the beeline doesn't come inside campus (I heard it used to a few years back). But the walk from hospital to TSH in the mornings sucks
Old 03-14-2012 at 10:15 AM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
^ LOL. I'm so glad the beeline doesn't come inside campus (I heard it used to a few years back). But the walk from hospital to TSH in the mornings sucks
Yes, this really sucked. When I was in first year, people used to take the beeline and get off in Westdale, which prevented people going to Stoney Creek/Winona from getting a spot on the bus and having to wait for the next one. Sometimes it took an hour and 45 minutes to get home, it was ridiculous. The walk to the hospital and Emerson is a pain in the ass but at least the only people who take it now are the people who need it.
Old 03-20-2012 at 02:08 PM   #8
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

@Entropy:

I work in Ancaster and I feel your pain, nothing is worse than constantly having to call your employers to tell them you'll be late because the only 5C for a half hour went by you full of people getting off on Whitney or Emerson. I'm at the point where I have to leave like an hour and a half early for my shifts... and Saturdays are a complete nightmare which cause me to take four buses to and from work. I've given up on writing the HSR to address the issues with Saturday service, because I know it's been brought up before by the MSU and even some HSR drivers were circulating a petition. I've started lobbying the box stores and the theatre in Ancaster, encouraging THEM to pressure the HSR to bring shoppers their direction on weekends, particularly those in the Mac vicinity. Here's hoping!

Entropy says thanks to Kudos for this post.

Entropy, sarahsullz like this.
Old 03-20-2012 at 02:48 PM   #9
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

people are terribly lazy. The area around the university encompassing most of westdale, south of main to the highway, south of main past westend (and farther), and roughly to the fortinoes are all easily walkable in 15 min. Westdale may be pushing it a bit but I see people take the bus from inside campus to go one block down emerson and its ludicrous. Save the bus for people who actually need it.
Old 03-20-2012 at 03:52 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
@Entropy:

I work in Ancaster and I feel your pain, nothing is worse than constantly having to call your employers to tell them you'll be late because the only 5C for a half hour went by you full of people getting off on Whitney or Emerson. I'm at the point where I have to leave like an hour and a half early for my shifts... and Saturdays are a complete nightmare which cause me to take four buses to and from work. I've given up on writing the HSR to address the issues with Saturday service, because I know it's been brought up before by the MSU and even some HSR drivers were circulating a petition. I've started lobbying the box stores and the theatre in Ancaster, encouraging THEM to pressure the HSR to bring shoppers their direction on weekends, particularly those in the Mac vicinity. Here's hoping!
Where do you work and where do you try to get on the bus?
Old 03-21-2012 at 09:10 AM   #11
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Where do you work and where do you try to get on the bus?
I work at the Walmart in Ancaster. I live South of Main, so if I'm not coming straight from class I grab the bus at Main/Emerson.

The trend I've noticed is that if I get on a 5C that hits campus shortly after class is out for the hour (that's pretty much any hour after about noon, and then again when night classes let out) I will either not be let on or the bus will be so full/delayed that I miss my transfer to the Ancaster 16. Easier to just get on the bus early and just hang around at work for 45 minutes.

I just find it frustrating that everyone along Whitney/Emerson takes the 5C when there are about six other buses per hour to take them the same place.
Old 03-21-2012 at 11:14 AM   #12
husayn12
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

I see your point but the onus shouldn't be on the people living close not to take the bus and instead walk. The service is there for everyone.
Old 03-22-2012 at 01:53 AM   #13
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by husayn12 View Post
I see your point but the onus shouldn't be on the people living close not to take the bus and instead walk. The service is there for everyone.
Re: handicapped people and washrooms:

I see your point but the onus shouldn't be on the people living close who aren't handicapped not to take the bus use the handicapped stall and instead walk find another stall. The service is there for everyone.

Kudos likes this.
Old 03-22-2012 at 06:33 AM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
I work at the Walmart in Ancaster. I live South of Main, so if I'm not coming straight from class I grab the bus at Main/Emerson.

The trend I've noticed is that if I get on a 5C that hits campus shortly after class is out for the hour (that's pretty much any hour after about noon, and then again when night classes let out) I will either not be let on or the bus will be so full/delayed that I miss my transfer to the Ancaster 16. Easier to just get on the bus early and just hang around at work for 45 minutes.

I just find it frustrating that everyone along Whitney/Emerson takes the 5C when there are about six other buses per hour to take them the same place.
Might be worth your time to bike/walk to a later or earlier stop, if that particular bus is so important to you. Thats what I do when I'm running late (although its easier for me because this strategy works best when you're not immediately in McMaster's vicinity)