MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Science 1I06? Jellybeanz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-09-2009 04:34 PM

HTH SCI 1I06 - ANYONE taken this COURSE?

Old 06-21-2010 at 10:06 AM   #1
rated1234

Liked: 0 Times

HTH SCI 1I06 - ANYONE taken this COURSE?
hey, i tried looking for a review for this course - HTH SCI 1I06 Cell and Molecular Biology - but havent been able to find any. Can someone comment on the difficulty of this course and how hard it is to obtain a double digit it this course? What is the breakdown of marks in this course?

thanks
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:56 PM   #2
rated1234

anyone??
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:24 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

The Health Scis have not gathered in response to your summons yet.
Give them time.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

arathbon likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:44 PM   #4
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

If you're going into Health Sci you have to take the course.

If you're not going into Health Sci you can't take the course.

The message? Relax, you can wait a few days for the answer since it is apparently not urgent.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:54 PM   #5
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I adored thus course, but hated it at the same time. It is not easy...you will be challenged, but that's what made me love it. As for double digits...I can only speak for myself by saying you'll have to work for it, and work hard. Overall though, probably the course I learned that most in.
Old 06-22-2010 at 02:38 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If you're in health sci, you have to take this as arathbon mentioned. So don't worry too much about it, you will be fine.
Old 06-22-2010 at 04:50 PM   #7
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

It's a love hate course. Go on LearnLink and look at the archives of it.. Check out the course outline and the types of assignments.

The issue I had with cell bio was that it is extremely subjective. Based on our year's recommendations, there will probably be more help/ support/feedback in the upcoming year. The profs are easy to contact, and took the problems/issues we had this year, and will most likely address them.

The first semester is a bit intimidating, this is where you have lectures with two profs, and face the dreadful TRIPSE But I WOULD NOT even stress about this yet. You'll learn in good time about them, and have the resources to prep for them. There were many issues with the extremely subjective grading and loose rubrics..but I think after many complaints, they will address this issue. This semester ends with a midterm.

Using the information and skills learned in the first semester, you're faced with MANY projects/project-esque things (including two major group projects) in the second semester. Among the mix will also be some guest lectures. the projects are all managable, and you really realize how much you've learned.

Overall, I really appreciated this course. You learn a lot of interesting and applicable aspects of biology, and you learn life skills too. Although it was torturous at times, looking back, it was extremely valuable.

Fa11enAnge1 likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 05:02 PM   #8
rated1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
It's a love hate course. Go on LearnLink and look at the archives of it.. Check out the course outline and the types of assignments.

The issue I had with cell bio was that it is extremely subjective. Based on our year's recommendations, there will probably be more help/ support/feedback in the upcoming year. The profs are easy to contact, and took the problems/issues we had this year, and will most likely address them.

The first semester is a bit intimidating, this is where you have lectures with two profs, and face the dreadful TRIPSE But I WOULD NOT even stress about this yet. You'll learn in good time about them, and have the resources to prep for them. There were many issues with the extremely subjective grading and loose rubrics..but I think after many complaints, they will address this issue. This semester ends with a midterm.

Using the information and skills learned in the first semester, you're faced with MANY projects/project-esque things (including two major group projects) in the second semester. Among the mix will also be some guest lectures. the projects are all managable, and you really realize how much you've learned.

Overall, I really appreciated this course. You learn a lot of interesting and applicable aspects of biology, and you learn life skills too. Although it was torturous at times, looking back, it was extremely valuable.
thats is exactly what im afraid of...3 consecutive hours of cell bio, that sounds brutal to me
Old 06-22-2010 at 05:10 PM   #9
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rated1234 View Post
thats is exactly what im afraid of...3 consecutive hours of cell bio, that sounds brutal to me
NOPE during the first semester, lectures run usually 1-2 (on the occasional day much less, with harder material maybe more) OH and they give us breaks to get williams (which will become your best friend, trust me)

During the second semester it becomes like 9-11 hours with your group at times, but then you don't have the three hour lectures, just group meetings (and tons of them.)
Old 06-22-2010 at 05:13 PM   #10
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Actually I remember the lectures we did have in secomd semester being full three hour ones...but those were only a few
Old 06-22-2010 at 05:21 PM   #11
etoilex3

yep, the more difficult topics/ the ones that more people had questions on.