MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redoing a Course (Hypothetical Scenario) dr4357 Academics 6 05-01-2013 04:34 PM
Question Question Regarding Bunk and Loft Swampis Residence & Housing 1 09-01-2011 03:34 PM
A materials question and a chem question. (course stuff) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 03-05-2011 12:20 AM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Hypothetical Question

Old 12-13-2013 at 08:36 AM   #1
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Hypothetical Question
So I have an exam tomorrow an they are calling for a lot of snow. Does any one know if my exam gets cancelled because of a snow day (which is doubtful) when they would reschedule it for?

Will they move it to another day of exam period, or if it will get deferre to reading week? The only reason I ask is because Mac has called snow days in the past while I have been a student at Mac, except I've never been in this particular scenario...
Old 12-13-2013 at 09:36 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Goes to reading week or is cancelled completely (rare)

shes-a-diva* says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 12-13-2013 at 10:25 AM   #3
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Goes to reading week or is cancelled completely (rare)
Seriously?? That's terrible... we spent so much effort studying for it and they can't just schedule us throughout the 10 days after?
Old 12-13-2013 at 10:32 AM   #4
ausje81

Liked: 0 Times

Hmm... I'm wondering where that would leave me as an exchange student leaving after the semester. Hopefully it won't come to that!
Old 12-13-2013 at 12:19 PM   #5
lsparrow1

Liked: 10 Times

I really hope it's not a snow day tomorrow!!

shreebee likes this.
Old 12-13-2013 at 12:47 PM   #6
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

I wish we could all get together for snowball war on campus. Fall of Saigon reenactment, winter style.
Old 12-13-2013 at 03:02 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I thought they always left one day at the end of normal exams to be "snow day" and all cancelled exams would be then
Old 12-13-2013 at 03:25 PM   #8
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
I thought they always left one day at the end of normal exams to be "snow day" and all cancelled exams would be then
Can someone confirm? I thought for sure they'd do something like this too, reading week doesnt seem fair when its easy to do that
Old 12-13-2013 at 05:15 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

The normal procedure is to defer the assignments or exam to the next day.. the next day in this case would overlap other room scheduling. It also gets tricky because some tenured professors or invigilators may not be available at end-of-exams day.

I know the answer to this question is very important to people going on vacation or are on exchange. The policy is not elucidated, so they can't fault you for not being able to make a rescheduled day. Worst case scenario is that you WILL be expected to either attend an exam during reading week. Snow day during exam period only happened once in my undergrad I believe and i can't recall what was done with certainty... sorry.

edit: or complete it from a distance or make individual arrangements with a prof*
Old 12-13-2013 at 06:08 PM   #10
mikeeey

Liked: 0 Times

when would they post if the exams tomorrow are cancelled? I assume in the morning, correct? Just want to make sure my exam is still happening before I commute to campus tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2013 at 06:14 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeey View Post
when would they post if the exams tomorrow are cancelled? I assume in the morning, correct? Just want to make sure my exam is still happening before I commute to campus tomorrow.
It will be decided very early in the morning and be on CH, on McMaster's site, etc.

I'm torn up with how it should be done... people have made plans and may not be able to come back after the last day, but on the other hand, December grads would have to come back to Hamilton and have to study for that course in term 2....

Either way, it'll all work out in the end. More time to study if there's a snow day, yay!
Old 12-13-2013 at 08:12 PM   #12
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
It will be decided very early in the morning and be on CH, on McMaster's site, etc.

I'm torn up with how it should be done... people have made plans and may not be able to come back after the last day, but on the other hand, December grads would have to come back to Hamilton and have to study for that course in term 2....

Either way, it'll all work out in the end. More time to study if there's a snow day, yay!
But the only problem with that is that the storm isn't supposed to hit until the evening, so I doubt they would cancel all Saturday exams, but for those of us who have exams at 7:30pm...
Old 12-13-2013 at 09:04 PM   #13
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSM View Post
But the only problem with that is that the storm isn't supposed to hit until the evening, so I doubt they would cancel all Saturday exams, but for those of us who have exams at 7:30pm...
The weather network says that the snow is supposed to hit southwestern ontario tonight and then move east into tomorrow...it definitely will have reached Hamilton well before Saturday evening, thought it's expected to continue throughout the day on Saturday.
Old 12-13-2013 at 10:01 PM   #14
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Can confirm that they simply shift it a day.
Old 12-13-2013 at 10:05 PM   #15
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
Can confirm that they simply shift it a day.
Every exam, or just the ones that are impacted?