MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chem 1A03 Lab 2 Question? Jason036 Academics 3 10-04-2010 08:17 PM
bio 1m03 materials question Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-12-2009 12:26 PM
Question about CHEM 1A03/AA3 labs and tutorials VoyozooT Academics 2 06-25-2009 09:54 AM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

A materials question and a chem question. (course stuff)

Old 02-25-2011 at 10:43 PM   #1
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

A materials question and a chem question. (course stuff)
So yeah, I thought I'd just merge 2 questions in one.

For all you Materials Eng people, is MATLS 1M03 a decent indication of what Materials is like? I mean, I like the course so far, but some of the higher up courses seem less interesting and whatnot.

As for the chem thing, I'm thinking of possibly taking orgo next year as an elective (yeah yeah, I know) because I genuinely enjoy orgo. Anyway, Eng kids aren't allowed to take other sciences first year, and CHEM 2OA3 needs 1AA3, which I don't have. What are the odds I could get the 1AA3 prereq waived, just so I don't have to take it over the summer?

Thanks as always guys. You're usually pretty helpful. :p
Old 02-25-2011 at 11:00 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post

For all you Materials Eng people, is MATLS 1M03 a decent indication of what Materials is like? I mean, I like the course so far, but some of the higher up courses seem less interesting and whatnot.

As for the chem thing, I'm thinking of possibly taking orgo next year as an elective (yeah yeah, I know) because I genuinely enjoy orgo. Anyway, Eng kids aren't allowed to take other sciences first year, and CHEM 2OA3 needs 1AA3, which I don't have. What are the odds I could get the 1AA3 prereq waived, just so I don't have to take it over the summer?

No idea about materials, but I doubt you'll get it waived. When I applied to take it over the summer, they checked by current Chem 1AA3 average, and waived it then (they figured I would pass). It's worth a shot, though, I'd email the department asap.
Old 02-25-2011 at 11:17 PM   #3
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:

1M03 is a decent representation of what Materials Science and Engineering is about, but it's far from complete. Thermo is severely underrepresented considering you're going to be taking at least one Thermo course every term. Other stuff, like crystal structures and the effects of stresses and strains, are introduced pretty well in 1M03 and serve as a preview for the entire courses dedicated to them.

I know it probably doesn't matter anymore, but I suspect that if your average was good enough and you were certain you wanted to go into a department that required 1AA3, you could probably get permission for it in term 2 of level I.

I really doubt you'll be able to get into 2OA3 without the prereq though, since 1AA3 serves as a solid foundation for organic chem knowledge. I'm not sure if you're real keen and ahead of everyone, but if you're basing your enjoyment of organic chem on high school and/or 1E03 (is there even any organic Chem in 1E03? I can't remember), be aware that you've barely touched the surface of what it actually is.
Old 02-25-2011 at 11:33 PM   #4
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

You could try, but I highly doubt they will let you into 2OA3 without 1AA3. Why the rush to take orgo? If you're genuinely interested, you could probably just learn it without paying the cash and wasting your summer on it.
Old 02-25-2011 at 11:50 PM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:

I disagree with Steven, I don't really think 1M03 was super helpful... I didnt do well and didn't like it but here I am! (and i like it!)

That stuff comes back in 3M03 mostly. Most of 2nd year is basics, ESPECIALLY thermodynamics and stuff like that. Definitely most interesting in your last 2 years when you're taking tech electives - more real life type stuff. I took corrosion, ceramics, environmental manufacturing (doing LCAs), and iron and steelmaking which I'm doing right now. They're all preeeeeeetty cool.

A decent amount of lab work too, espesh in your last couple years. You'll be in those mounting/polishing/etching and furnace rooms ALL the time!

As for chem, you'll need to take 1AA3 for materials anyways, so maybe put that elective a little later on your list. (ps. that course is irrelevant and sucks XD)

PM me if you have any other qs
Old 02-26-2011 at 08:47 AM   #6
hamnahx02

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:

I would give it a shot, email the department and tell them your issue. Also go talk to the prof personally, if you put up a good case, they can sometimes do magical things. lol...
it'll be hard but i think it can be done.
Old 02-26-2011 at 01:40 PM   #7
Zimonada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I'm not sure if you're real keen and ahead of everyone, but if you're basing your enjoyment of organic chem on high school and/or 1E03 (is there even any organic Chem in 1E03? I can't remember), be aware that you've barely touched the surface of what it actually is.
Definitely most of my enjoyment is from high school (there isn't any in 1E03), but I've also been talking with other LifeSci's who are going into chem and stuff and it seems interesting. Not to mention I sniped some notes off of DC++ for 2OA3 and took a skim through them, they seem (while complicated) pretty cool too. But yeah, I'm debating between Materials and Software (both with Society) now... which are on opposite ends of the Eng spectrum... so I figured if I went Software I could still do chem electives to fulfill the part of me that wants chem (only because I'm better at Software, as far as I know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I disagree with Steven, I don't really think 1M03 was super helpful... I didnt do well and didn't like it but here I am! (and i like it!)

That stuff comes back in 3M03 mostly. Most of 2nd year is basics, ESPECIALLY thermodynamics and stuff like that. Definitely most interesting in your last 2 years when you're taking tech electives - more real life type stuff. I took corrosion, ceramics, environmental manufacturing (doing LCAs), and iron and steelmaking which I'm doing right now. They're all preeeeeeetty cool.

A decent amount of lab work too, espesh in your last couple years. You'll be in those mounting/polishing/etching and furnace rooms ALL the time!

As for chem, you'll need to take 1AA3 for materials anyways, so maybe put that elective a little later on your list. (ps. that course is irrelevant and sucks XD)

PM me if you have any other qs
Arrrrrrrrgh thermodynamics, I guess I could learn to love them, I probably hate it because I never really learned it in high school or here. The rest of that stuff actually sounds epic though, which is exciting :p

And yeah, since I'd probably only go for chem electives if I go Software instead of Materials (even Sally Williams said it'd probably be redundant), I figure if I took 1AA3 over the summer I could go ahead and do orgo, or at least not have to do 1AA3 in third year for materials.
Old 02-26-2011 at 02:35 PM   #8
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
But yeah, I'm debating between Materials and Software (both with Society)

Arrrrrrrrgh thermodynamics, I guess I could learn to love them, I probably hate it because I never really learned it in high school or here. The rest of that stuff actually sounds epic though, which is exciting :p

And yeah, since I'd probably only go for chem electives if I go Software instead of Materials (even Sally Williams said it'd probably be redundant), I figure if I took 1AA3 over the summer I could go ahead and do orgo, or at least not have to do 1AA3 in third year for materials.
Hooray for society!! Highly encourage that program - the profs are so fantastic and passionate! You learn a lot more than straight eng could teach you.

Thermo is kind of balls, but as long as you can get through it, it's so worth it to get to the cool stuff.

My sister originally thought she wanted software and game design, but ultimately chose mech. She is, however, doing her focus electives from society in comp sci - best of both worlds. That might be a good option for you!

Best of luck!
Old 03-04-2011 at 04:29 PM   #9
Zimonada

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Hooray for society!! Highly encourage that program - the profs are so fantastic and passionate! You learn a lot more than straight eng could teach you.

Thermo is kind of balls, but as long as you can get through it, it's so worth it to get to the cool stuff.

My sister originally thought she wanted software and game design, but ultimately chose mech. She is, however, doing her focus electives from society in comp sci - best of both worlds. That might be a good option for you!

Best of luck!
Yeah, I know how everyone goes on and on about being "well rounded engineers" and stuff and that everyone thinks it's ridiculous... but it's really so much more helpful to have some knowledge outside of just science and math. Plus, I think I'd get bored otherwise with just straight eng. :p

And even though I really really dislike thermo... I'm pretty sure I dislike it a lot less than physics. So, as long as I can get interested in everything else hopefully concepts will back each other up or something. But yeah, thanks a lot for the help, it's much appreciated

Also, if you don't mind me asking... do you know what the minimum averages for Materials was around? I know it's gonna be different, but I'm just trying to ballpark around whether or not I should/need to drop physics till the summer to bump my average, y'know, on the offchance that both of the maths kill me.

Last edited by Zimonada : 03-04-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2011 at 12:20 AM   #10
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Yeah, I know how everyone goes on and on about being "well rounded engineers" and stuff and that everyone thinks it's ridiculous... but it's really so much more helpful to have some knowledge outside of just science and math. Plus, I think I'd get bored otherwise with just straight eng. :p

And even though I really really dislike thermo... I'm pretty sure I dislike it a lot less than physics. So, as long as I can get interested in everything else hopefully concepts will back each other up or something. But yeah, thanks a lot for the help, it's much appreciated

Also, if you don't mind me asking... do you know what the minimum averages for Materials was around? I know it's gonna be different, but I'm just trying to ballpark around whether or not I should/need to drop physics till the summer to bump my average, y'know, on the offchance that both of the maths kill me.
You probably don't need to worry about entrance averages for Materials. Although does change every year and I can't guarantee anything, historically speaking it's been a 4, so as long as you can make it into level II then you're fine.

I think the only disciplines that are competitive enough to require a certain level I CA are Mechanical, Mechatronics, Civil, Electrical, Biomed, Chem/Bio, or anything with Management. All others are either 4.0 or so close to 4.0 that it most likely doesn't matter.

I don't think Society's ever been popular enough to have to cut people out too, but I'm less sure about that one.

Perhaps we'll see you around next year. =p