Ideal Course Setup Goce Academics 9 10-20-2008 03:55 AM

The Ideal TA (tm)

Old 07-22-2009 at 12:06 PM   #1
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The Ideal TA (tm)
Hey guys.

For those that don't know me, my name's Mike and I'm doing my M.Sc in Math. I was awarded a TA-ship, which basically means I'm poor and need a job while I do my studies, haha. I still don't know which course I will be conducting, but it's something in the department of Math & Stats, (so the tutorials will be run as a math course, and will probably not be discussion based in any way) and I'm almost certain it will be a first year class.

I know in first year, there are so many stress factors and fears students have...I remember my first lecture was a biology lecture, packed in the huge lecture hall, and I really felt like a number, and not a person.

So anyway, I'm just doing a bit of 'market research' if you will. I'd really like to put the effort into my tutorials, because I love teaching/tutoring, as well as the subject matter...so I have a few questions for everyone. But in particular, I'd love to hear from Prospective Students, those who are Entering their first year, since they are the ones I am likely to be teaching!

Question 1: Would it be beneficial for me to set aside the entire first tutorial to give some tips for success? I was thinking of discussing relevant strategies for test writing, studying, and the 'attitude' one should have toward their practice problems. And of course, perhaps some comforting stories of my own struggles.

PRO: It reassures students, and no actual math is done in the first tutorial...making it nice and light for students.

CON: No actual math is done in the first tutorial. It is my understanding that, depending on the course, this won't be a problem (since not much is done in the first week), but some students might get a little antsy and not want to continue attending, etc.

Question 2a: Should I allow some tutorial time for homework problems?

PRO: I can 'walk around and give feedback.' The tutorials will truly feel like a highschool class, and the transition may be a bit more comfortable.

CON: Some may consider this a waste of time, and would rather have the TA just drone on about lectures.

Question 2b: If you answered "Yes" to 2a, should I answer students' specific homework problems (up on the board) during this 'homework time?'

PRO: I can accomplish more in the given tutorial timeslot.

CON: Some students may not be able to focus/multitask. I guess personally, I'd prefer not to do this since I'd want everyone to pay attention, but I figured I should ask anyway.

Question 3: Would you like to have your TA reiterate the lecture ideas? What I did in my past tutorials, was teach a little mini-lecture, quickly covering the ideas presented in the past week (or two sometimes) of lectures.

PRO: Students have the ideas fresh in their minds, sometimes jogging your memory is necessary to smoothly proceed through math. It's also good for anyone who missed a lecture or two, since they may quickly get to see something they could not learn on their own.

CON: Some students who are on the ball may think this is boring, and a waste of time.

Question 4: Do you enjoy hearing about the TA during the first lecture? Like, what they're studying, where they attended school, etc.

Question 5: (for upper years) Please describe the format of your favourite tutorial/TA...was there anything about them that made them particularly good?

Thanks for participating in this "Market Research." lol

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-22-2009 at 12:08 PM.

goodnews.inc says thanks to Mowicz for this post.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:15 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I'm not in Math so I can't answer most of your questions but to answer 4 I personally do like hearing a bit about the TA in the first tutorial. You have to go this tutorial every week for the whole term so I think it's nice to be friendly and comfortable with the TA, as well as with your fellow students. This may be more important in a discussion based tutorial but I think it can help everyone adjust and enjoy the tutorial a little bit more to know who the TA is.

All my favourite TAs have been very friendly and open, they shared a bit about who they are, what they're studying etc. They made the tutorial a more laid back environment where students felt comfortable asking questions about the course, lecture material, assignments etc. Tutorials are a lot more difficult when everyone is uptight and cold and it's just a thing you have to do. It's a lot better if you enjoy going to the tutorial and actually find it helpful and it helps you understand the course material better, not just something you have to do for attendance marks.

Mowicz says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:28 PM   #3
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

For the first tutorial you could combine 1 and 4 - talk a bit about yourself, get the students to say their name and something about themselves, then talk about studying methods, where to get help, that kind of thing.

Mowicz says thanks to Maegs for this post.
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:48 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Just to clarify Maegs, you're suggesting I should set aside the entire first tutorial for tips for success, as well as 'poll' the students in regards to what their preferences are?
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:52 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Do something cool like a back flip during the first tutorial. That always gets people's attention, and they'll think you're a pretty cool guy from then on if you actually manage to do it.

Mowicz says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

jachill likes this.
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:54 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Do something cool like a back flip during the first tutorial. That always gets people's attention, and they'll think you're a pretty cool guy from then on if you actually manage to do it.
And if you don't manage to do it, it can go either way. People will keep on coming to see you do something else that's stupid or they will just laugh and never come again...
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:55 PM   #7
Mowicz
Elite Member

Haha seriously?

I breakdance, I could probably think of something cool to do, like a wall-flip...I was also considering doing the 'orange peel' thing from the godfather. xD

I'd probably put that in the 'talking about myself' part.

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-22-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:00 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Near midterms and exam time, you should take up questions that the students have a hard time doing from the practice questions.

Mowicz says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:34 PM   #9
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I wouldn't dedicate the entire first tutorial to study tips, most first years are over-confident and they'll probably think you're babying them.
I would tell them about yourself though, sometimes it's hard to learn about what upper year studies is like

Mowicz says thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:50 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I would keep the first tutorial relatively light and fluffy. Explain who you are, what you do for the students, how you can be reached, when you can be reached, and what your expectations are (if applicable; I assume your tutorials aren't the mandatory kind). State what you will be doing in tutorials.

Offer a handout with tips for success (or as part of the syllabus you hand out) so students can take it with them and read that part if they wish.

Always allow students the option of doing homework problems in tutorial. For those less-confident and/or frustrated they can get help as a group. Most often if one has a question so do a few others.

Part of doing the homework problems allows you to re-iterate points from lecture. I wouldn't go so far as doing lessons as many students would find it redundant. If you have access to WebCT and/or wanna create your own website (i.e. use a blog for simplicity's sake; I had an English prof who did that) post mini lectures or tips so the students that want the help can get it.

Do some weird and crazy shit that entices people to come to your tutorial, and go out of your way to help them if they ask. The more creative you are the more engaging your students will find the class, and the better they will learn.

My favourite TA at Mac was my Math 1K03 TA. I still talk to him from time to time via Facebook, and he literally taught me years ago.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Mowicz says thanks to lorend for this post.

jhan523, manu like this.
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:58 PM   #11
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Just to clarify Maegs, you're suggesting I should set aside the entire first tutorial for tips for success, as well as 'poll' the students in regards to what their preferences are?
I'm in Humanities, so the tutorials are a bit different, but mine tended to be shorter (sometimes by a lot) on the first day. The TAs pretty much introduced themselves, got us to introduce ourselves to the rest of the tutorial (usually about 15 people per tutorial - in my Film tutorial we had to say our name, favourite movie, and favourite type of mustache, for example), then talked about expectations, structure of the essays, what kind of bibliography to use, general topics the course would cover (for example, in a history class, what time period we'd cover and what themes throughout that time period would be looked at), what resources we could use for help (eg places to get help with essay writing), contact info, etc.

Does that help?

Mowicz says thanks to Maegs for this post.
Old 07-22-2009 at 03:33 PM   #12
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

I personally think that reviewing the lecture in tutorial is a really good idea because it will reinforce concepts which is much better than not getting something and trying to understand it before a midterm/exam. I say this because I know many students in first year who are intimidated by approaching a professor so a review in tutorial would be an amazing idea.

Mowicz says thanks to u.yousaf for this post.
Old 07-22-2009 at 03:33 PM   #13
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Hey Mike!

I'm heading into Math&Stats in the fall! So here it goes:

Question 1: To be perfectly honest, because I've personally been going to all the events mac has set up, tips for success would be kind of redundant. However, there are other who haven't gone to the mac events, so I think it's more your call.

Question 2: YES. This is really important, just because there are times when there is that one question that the whole class doesn't have the brain power to solve and it's important to learn how you would approach a problem, so we can apply the same thinking elsewhere. I think this would also be very beneficial to those who are struggling with concepts. It might be a waste of time to some, but everyone needs help eventually.

Question 2b: I feel that this is too high school-like. I think it would be best to walk around, etc and if a lot of people are having issues with one problem, then it should be done on the board. If not, I think TAs walking around should be sufficient.

Question 3: The same as above. If you notice people having a hard time with a particular concept, then it would be extremely beneficial to reiterate. I like the idea of the mini-lecture though. Your call.

Question 4: It's always nice to know. I think it'll make it more comforting if anything. And people are naturally curious about what you did, etc. If you don't mention it once in front of the class, you'll probably end up explaining your academic past several times.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Mowicz says thanks to mellye for this post.
Old 07-22-2009 at 03:38 PM   #14
Mowicz
Elite Member

Thanks for all the posts and tips (: I really appreciate it!

I did just want to respond to this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Part of doing the homework problems allows you to re-iterate points from lecture. I wouldn't go so far as doing lessons as many students would find it redundant.
As a student, I noticed most people who found it redundant wouldn't show up...but anyway, the beauty part of math is that you can explain in any number of ways, and it very well may be something even the best and brightest haven't thought of. I'd imagine teaching math is more like a humanities-style course than one might think.

I think the most important part of 'teaching the mini-lessons' is that they would be feedback oriented, whereas lectures are not...Or rather, the lectures could be but let's face it, first years in particular won't want to disrupt the lectures ask questions. So essentially, my goal would be creating a 'highschool-like environment' as opposed to just re-teaching the lessons.

Does that sound any better, or more worthwhile? Or do you still feel it'd be a waste of time?

Haha I think I might be biased towards it, because when I TA'd in second year (I TA'd engineering calc) they had an awful professor and they kept saying things like "Can you teach us Integration by Parts?" or things like that. I guess it may depend on good the prof is for the course, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
sometimes it's hard to learn about what upper year studies is like
I guess this depends on which specific course I get, like whether it's for math students, business students, etc.

But do you suggest I outline how things change in upper years (if it's a core math course at least)?

EDIT: To Mellye: Thanks for your post. (:

As for the "Tips for Success" I meant specifically as it would pertain to that course, or math in general. The welcome week events are more general if I understand correctly.

(Would you find it weird if I turned out to be TAing 1X03 or 1B03? Haha)

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2009 at 03:52 PM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
(I TA'd engineering calc) they had an awful professor and they kept saying things like "Can you teach us Integration by Parts?" or things like that.
Wow. That's pretty bad, lol.