MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For The White Knights Out There RoyK Dating & Relationships 92 09-30-2010 02:46 PM
President-Elect Barack Obama on American Jobs Chad Politics 0 11-14-2008 04:00 PM
Barack Obama Elected President: CNN Projection lorend MacInsiders Announcements 24 11-06-2008 09:26 PM
MAC Amnesty presents GREG WHITE Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-04-2008 08:32 PM

If Obama is President... will we still call it The White House

Old 06-18-2008 at 08:48 AM   #1
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

If Obama is President... will we still call it The White House
I think this is probably one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. In Texas, apparently buttons are being handed around with the question, "If Obama is President... will we still call it The White House?" I appreciate Americans being highly enthusiastic about politics but not when it boils down to which skin colour would be best for a President. If you believe that Obama wouldn't make a great President due to his platform or a legitimate reason, that's fine. However, if you don't feel that he's qualified because his skin is a bit darker, well, maybe you shouldn't be voting... To read the article which this picture comes from click here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obama.jpg (30.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by ferreinm : 06-18-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2008 at 02:18 PM   #2
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

There has been alot of this stuff going around. People saying he is some sort of terrorist manchurian candidate, and alot of other racist remarks like the button you mentioned.

Its unfortunate that his candidacy, though it has inspired millions to believe in politics again, has highlighted racial divisions in the United States. At least most of the people who believe these crazy stories are people who would never in there life vote democrat anyways.

Ill be very happy when he wins and all the racist southerners realize that the majority of the United States is not like them.
Old 06-18-2008 at 05:22 PM   #3
ferreinm
Elite Member

I'm not gonna lie, I'll be surprised if he wins. I think he's a great speaker but I think the race factor is going to play a huge part for some people. I understand that not all Americans are racist though.
Old 06-18-2008 at 05:47 PM   #4
J-Met
Elite Member

Ive been following the race down there pretty closely, and Ill think you'll be happy to know that he does, in fact, have a very good chance of winning.

He leads McCain in national polls by an average of about 5%. And if the election were held tommorow, and the current polls are accurate, he would win the all important electoral college vote by 285 to 253 (okay, maybe I am following it a little to closely hehe).

There is however, whats called the "Bradley effect" which is what I think you may be alluding to. This is when people are polled, and they dont want to be racist and therefore tell the pollster that they have no problem voting for a black man. However, when they enter the voting booth, they show their true self and cannot bring themselves to vote for a black candidate.

I really hope he wins. The US will gain alot of respect around the world, and I think Obama is an honest guy who actually cares about the people who vote for him....not something you often see in a politician.
Old 06-19-2008 at 07:44 AM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

The thing is though, we're not actually certain that he'll do well in office. He's a great speaker and really cool and all but politicians don't always follow through. Nevertheless, anything he does will make him look better than Bush.

I just hate hearing about how one person is going to win and then all of a sudden someone totally different does.. It seems iffy. I just hope they have people watching to make sure ballots dont happen to go "missing"
Old 06-19-2008 at 04:19 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Unfortunately there is also the way votes are reported...which as you (I assume) know was a huge factor in Bush's election in 2000.

Also, Obama isn't completely black...he is of mixed racial heritage. I find it really interesting that he's constantly referred to as a black candidate when in all technicality he is of mixed decent.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-19-2008 at 04:39 PM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

Ohhh, I didn't know he was mixed! But then again, his skin colour really shouldn't have an impact on the election in the first place
Old 06-19-2008 at 05:08 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yup, his dad was black and his mom white.

Same as Tiger Woods, in a way. He's not black but racially mixed.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-19-2008 at 05:15 PM   #9
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I'm really shocked that this happened, perhaps I shouldn't be, but I still am.

I guess it just goes to show us that even though we like to say we are "colourblind" there are still a lot of people in our society who aren't, and that's disappointing.

Old 06-19-2008 at 08:23 PM   #10
zaidyusufani
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

I believe that all politicians are liars, no matter who they are or where they come from
Old 06-19-2008 at 08:55 PM   #11
J-Met
Elite Member

A fair opinion, I havn't seen many that prove otherwise.

I guess Im just an optimist in trusting Obama, but even if he's not completely all he's crackied up to be...you have to admit he'll be better than McCain and especially better than the wackos they have in power now.
Old 06-20-2008 at 09:28 AM   #12
ferreinm
Elite Member

At least we know we won't have series of books devoted to dumb quotes that Obama will say unlike Bush.
Old 06-20-2008 at 10:12 AM   #13
jjcole

Liked: 0 Times

And there's already many McCainisms, though instead of misspoken English its completely contradictory statements. Ah, the glory of YouTube.

I don't really pay much attention to Politics, but I really, really hope the American public doesn't choose a blatant liar over someone of a different race. Sadly, I don't think hoping will be good enough.
Old 06-20-2008 at 10:25 AM   #14
ferreinm
Elite Member

Haha! Odds are McCain will be president BECAUSE he contradicts himself.

I think all Canadians should ask for American citizenship so that we can vote and save that country. What happens to them often affects us too.
Old 06-20-2008 at 11:44 AM   #15
J-Met
Elite Member

Or if Obama loses he could come up here and be our prime minister hehe