MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Into Life Sciences!!! meikaelahmad Academics 42 08-11-2010 12:10 PM
Life Sciences dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-29-2009 08:14 PM

Im hoping for Life Sciences at McMaster

Old 08-31-2010 at 09:06 PM   #1
meikaelahmad

Liked: 0 Times

Im hoping for Life Sciences at McMaster
So Im about to enter my Senior year, looking forward to it. I am applying to Mac's Life Sci program and Im really hoping to get in so I can pursue a career in dentistry. I have heard the average has increased which slightly worries me but at the same time im going to try my best to stand out. I really want some personal opinions from people who are in the program or also trying to get in.

Here are my courses for Grade 12.

I AM DONE Gr.12 BIOLOGY I TOOK IT IN GRADE 11, but it was kind of hard, so I ended up with an 80 in the class...im definately going to try harder on all these courses this year!

Sem1: Spare, Lunch, Advanced Functions, Cluster English, Physics
Sem2: Business Leadership, Calculus (is it really necessary? im not so good at math!),lunch, Chemistry, spare.

What do you guys think? , also to stand out..
im already volunteeering at the nursing home and at the hospital in trafalgar, going to play badminton and tennis this year, join enviormental club, world council, school magazine and others.
im gunna step it up this year for sure.

Last edited by meikaelahmad : 08-31-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:11 PM   #2
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

It's nice that you are doing those extracurriculars but you won't need them for lice science at mac. All they care about is that you have a high 80s average. Those extracurriculars will definitely help you later on and I would encourage you to keep at them.

If you meet health sci requirements, you should also consider applying for it.
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:15 PM   #3
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

I think you need Biology. As for calculus, you have to take it first year. You must be taking ENG4U, SBI4U, one of MHF4U, MCV4U, one of MHF4U, MCV4U, SCH4U, SPH4U so Calculus is not required completely.
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:17 PM   #4
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

ummm you are not taking biology?
as for getting in to life sci, if you just do your work and take school seriously you will get in
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:18 PM   #5
meikaelahmad

Oh I forgot to Add that they put me into Grade 12 Bio cause I they said I was already ready for Grade 11 Bio so they just threw me into Grade 12 Bio in Grade 11.
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:19 PM   #6
meikaelahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
ummm you are not taking biology?
as for getting in to life sci, if you just do your work and take school seriously you will get in
Done SBI4U but thanks for the professional advice!
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:20 PM   #7
meikaelahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
I think you need Biology. As for calculus, you have to take it first year. You must be taking ENG4U, SBI4U, one of MHF4U, MCV4U, one of MHF4U, MCV4U, SCH4U, SPH4U so Calculus is not required completely.
Done SBI4U i didnt do so well I ended up with an 80 cause the exam was BRUTAL. but im hoping to step it up on all my courses this year.
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:20 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by meikaelahmad View Post
So Im about to enter my Senior year, looking forward to it. I am applying to Mac's Life Sci program and Im really hoping to get in so I can pursue a career in dentistry. I have heard the average has increased which slightly worries me but at the same time im going to try my best to stand out. I really want some personal opinions from people who are in the program or also trying to get in.

Here are my courses for Grade 12.

Sem1: Spare, Lunch, Advanced Functions, Cluster English, Physics
Sem2: Business Leadership, Calculus (is it really necessary? im not so good at math!),lunch, Chemistry, spare.

What do you guys think? , also to stand out..
im already volunteeering at the nursing home and at the hospital in trafalgar, going to play badminton and tennis this year, join enviormental club, world council, school magazine and others.
im gunna step it up this year for sure.
I don't think extra-curriculars matter much for Life Science. It's mainly about your grades.

Calculus isn't necessary but I highly recommend taking it in highschool. If you don't you'll have to use one of your electives towards catching up in Calculus in University.

Have you already taken Grade 12 Biology? It's one of the required courses in order to apply to Life Science. (http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...ife-sciences-1)
SBI4U is biology.
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:20 PM   #9
meikaelahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
Well I was thinking if a bunch of people who apply to Life Sciences have Calc they would have a higher position over me dont you think ?
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:21 PM   #10
meikaelahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I don't think extra-curriculars matter much for Life Science. It's mainly about your grades.

Calculus isn't necessary but I highly recommend taking it in highschool. If you don't you'll have to use one of your electives towards catching up in Calculus in University.

Have you already taken Grade 12 Biology? It's one of the required courses in order to apply to Life Science. (http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...ife-sciences-1)
SBI4U is biology.
I should I wrote it into my Post, but yeah im done Grade 12 Biology... I took in Grade 11.
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:25 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Well I was thinking if a bunch of people who apply to Life Sciences have Calc they would have a higher position over me dont you think ?
Not quite sure is McMaster takes into account if someone has taken Calculus or not. My guess is that they don't, it would just make it harder for them since they would have to take that into consideration. So I think they just look at grades.
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:26 PM   #12
meikaelahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Not quite sure is McMaster takes into account if someone has taken Calculus or not. My guess is that they don't, it would just make it harder for them since they would have to take that into consideration. So I think they just look at grades.
I can't really risk it so I might just take Calculus... :(
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:28 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I can't really risk it so I might just take Calculus... :(
Don't be sad, on the bright side you'll save an elective spot in first year and since calculus isn't your best subject that's a good thing.
Old 09-01-2010 at 12:36 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

If you're really keen on Mac, apply for Life Sci, Health Sci, and Environmental Sci, that way you can get into Mac no matter what then switch into Life Sci if you didn't make the average... Highschool extracurrs= useless but sorta good for job/resume.

meikaelahmad likes this.
Old 09-01-2010 at 12:43 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
If you're really keen on Mac, apply for Life Sci, Health Sci, and Environmental Sci, that way you can get into Mac no matter what then switch into Life Sci if you didn't make the average... Highschool extracurrs= useless but sorta good for job/resume.
Extra curriculars are important if you are applying to Health Science. Unlike all the other programs, Health Science have students have go through the supplementary applications.

meikaelahmad likes this.