Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Into Life Sciences!!! meikaelahmad Academics 42 08-11-2010 12:10 PM
Will I get into Life Sciences? sanahsameen Academics 31 02-24-2009 09:42 AM

Life Sciences

Old 07-02-2008 at 02:04 PM   #1
dondada

Liked: 0 Times

Life Sciences
I am currently enrolled in life sciences I and am planning to pursue either Life Sciences II, Honours Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour, or Honours Biology ans Psychology (I am confused).For the honours biopsych, PHYSICS 1BO3 needs to be completed by second year. Is there a point for me to take the Physics 1LO3. My next question concerns the maths courses, what Is the big difference in 1LS3 and 1AO3? I hear that if i can get a high average that the 1LS3 can be a substitute for the 1AO3. Finally, i need help selecting 2 electives. i was thinking compsci 1MA3.

Old 07-02-2008 at 03:37 PM   #2
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Hey dondada,

Physics 1L03 is a prerequisite for Physics 1B03, but you only need to take it if you did not complete grade 12 physics (SPH4U1 in Ontario) or got a mark below 60% in it. If you did take grade 12 physics and got a good mark, you can register for physics 1B03 right away.

In terms of the math classes, if you took both Advanced Functions and Calculus & Vectors in high school, take Math 1A03. If you just took Advanced Functions, you're probably find that Math 1LS3 is more suited for you. And yes, if you get at least a 10 (A- on the McMaster grading system - see here), you can use 1LS3 as a subsitute for 1A03.

Hope that helped.

Old 07-03-2008 at 12:05 PM   #3
Sohaibb

Hey Kenneth,

I am wondering if you know where it says you need a 10? Because on the requirements for the level II life science courses, most of them just ask for either Math 1A03 or 1LS3 but there is no indication of a 10 needed in 1LS3.
Old 07-03-2008 at 03:15 PM   #4
kenneth526
Elite Member

The undergraduate calendar: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...8/crs_1661.htm

Quote:
Students with a grade of at least 10 in MATH 1LS3 may use it as a substitute for MATH 1A03 for prerequisites and for consideration to a Level II program for which MATH 1A03 is normally required.

Old 07-03-2008 at 03:17 PM   #5
dondada

Anyone know how the comsci 1ma3 course is? the professors? is it an easy course? etc

Last edited by dondada : 07-03-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2008 at 05:28 PM   #6
Jayuna

TO NOTE:

I called the student-helpline thing today and asked the question about the two math courses.

She basically told me that it doesnt completely matter which one you take. 1LS3 will get you basically into all life science-type second year programs. as well, it's true that if you get above 10, it can be substitued for 1A03. However, if you look in the undergraduate calender for the second year programs - (our year being the admission 2009-2010) they need 3 units of either 1A03, or 1LS3, so it actually doesn't matter what you take, since both work. And I was only suggested to take 1A03 if I wante to minor in math, since otherwise its not needed.

Hope that helps!! ^-^

Honours MoleBio and Genetics, McMaster class of 2012
Old 07-03-2008 at 10:14 PM   #7
kenneth526
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayuna View Post
TO NOTE:

I called the student-helpline thing today and asked the question about the two math courses.

She basically told me that it doesnt completely matter which one you take. 1LS3 will get you basically into all life science-type second year programs. as well, it's true that if you get above 10, it can be substitued for 1A03. However, if you look in the undergraduate calender for the second year programs - (our year being the admission 2009-2010) they need 3 units of either 1A03, or 1LS3, so it actually doesn't matter what you take, since both work. And I was only suggested to take 1A03 if I wante to minor in math, since otherwise its not needed.

Hope that helps!! ^-^
Yep you're right, I should have been more clear in my other post. Here's my correction from another thread:

you only need to get a 10 or higher in Math 1LS3 if you want to apply for a program that only accepts Math 1A03 (for example, honours chemistry - you'll notice they only say Math 1A03 and not either or). A program like honours biology takes either Math 1LS3 OR Math 1A03, so it doesn't matter what grade you get in 1LS3 (as long as you obtain the credit).
Sorry about the confusion.

The point is, check the undergraduate calendar for the second year program you're looking into. If they only accept 1A03, a 10 or higher in 1LS3 will do. If they ask for 1A03 OR 1LS3, the mark you get in 1LS3 won't matter (as long as you get the credit).

Sorry about the confusion (again)

Old 07-29-2009 at 08:14 PM   #8
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

If I were you I would want to leave my options open. Physics is really difficult but I doubt that 1LS3 is much more difficult than 1B03.

In terms of Math 1A03, when I was in first year Math 1LS3 did not exist. Math 1A03 was my highest mark in first year, it isn't hard, they make it really easy for people, and there are only a couple weeks of new material. Basically all of it is a review from highschool.

I think that it's always best to leave your options open. I never thought that I would want to do a minor in math, but here I am...