MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Into Life Sciences!!! meikaelahmad Academics 42 08-11-2010 12:10 PM
Life Sciences dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-29-2009 08:14 PM

Will I get into Life Sciences?

Old 12-21-2008 at 01:12 PM   #1
sanahsameen

Liked: 0 Times

Will I get into Life Sciences?
I am in high school and I am going to apply to mac for life sciences withing the next week. The cut off range says from 82-85%. Currently my average at midterm was 80%: 83% in Physics, 71% in advanced functions math and 86% in Exercise Science. I have also completed the Grade 12 Boliogy course last year when i was in Grade 11, and got 80%. Will i get into life sciences? Also if you are a little below the cut off are there chances that you will still get in?

Also, the requirements say: either one of MHF4U(advanced functions) or MCV4U(calculus and vectors). I am taking both, so will they take the course with the higher mark, or take the marks for both?
Old 12-21-2008 at 01:27 PM   #2
harsshu

Life Sci
I would say that you should wait till you get your final marks for the semester b/c that's what matter.

sanahsameen says thanks to harsshu for this post.
Old 12-21-2008 at 02:30 PM   #3
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanahsameen View Post
Also, the requirements say: either one of MHF4U(advanced functions) or MCV4U(calculus and vectors). I am taking both, so will they take the course with the higher mark, or take the marks for both?
I believe they take into account the higher mark when calculating your final average for the cut off. Anyway, great choice in choosing to apply to Mac, hope you get in!!

sanahsameen says thanks to shleyaa for this post.
Old 12-21-2008 at 02:35 PM   #4
sanahsameen

Do you think i should woory a lot about getting in?
Are my chances good, if I continue with maintaining these marks?
And do you know if they still accpept you if u are below the cut off?
Im just worried, because im really confused about what i want to do, and what programs i should apply to
Old 12-21-2008 at 02:39 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

If you are below the cut off you are not accepted. That is what a cut off is for.

Do your research and apply to faculties that offer programs that are interesting to you. You can always switch into another program or faculty once you're at university if it doesn't turn out to be what you want.

Old 12-21-2008 at 05:00 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

If you want to raise your average, try taking easier high school courses like philosophy or whatever else your school offers that people consider easy. I think McMaster only takes your highest 6, but I can't really remember.
Old 12-21-2008 at 05:26 PM   #7
Mel.L

Liked: Liked 2 Times

McMaster takes your highest 6 marks, including the prerequisites (they will take the highest of either math). For life science, the cut off mark this year was 83% - meaning if you apply with an average lower than that, you will not be accepted.
It's a great program, so i would just encourage you to work hard to try to get your average a little higher
Old 12-21-2008 at 11:37 PM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

You might consider discussing things with your high school teachers you can do for extra credit or to improve your mark in their class. Let them know there is a program you're interested in and that anything you can do to raise your average or any help they can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2008 at 07:25 AM   #9
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

The posted cut off ranges are based on last year. They don't change drastically though for the following year. Best bet is to take some easy mark booster courses =) ... mine were Earth & Space and Food & Nutrition!

All the best!
Old 12-22-2008 at 12:47 PM   #10
sanahsameen

If I am within the range (82%-85%) will I get in? or will those who are above the cut off get in? suppose i get a 83% would i have a get chance? Basically if u just make it to the cut off does it mean u have good chances?
Old 12-22-2008 at 06:27 PM   #11
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I think it would depend on how many people apply for the program for next year. If a lot of people apply and all of them have very high averages, above the minimum than there might not be a spot for you. If less apply and you meet the cut off than you could get it. It depends on how many spots there are and how many people apply.

sanahsameen says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 12-22-2008 at 07:23 PM   #12
sanahsameen

Thank you so much for your help! Everyone here is very heplful and this site is great!
Old 12-23-2008 at 11:35 PM   #13
amir.k

marks
to be safe, you would have to reach the max cutoff (85)

usually in high school, midterm marks dont go higher, they usually drop 1 or 2 percent for your final

so if your marks are:

80 bio
70 ad functions
82 physics
85 e sci

you would have to have a 96.5% average on your other two to be sure you'll get in.

honestly, for you, you NEED to get rid of that ad functions mark to feel safe, cause it may even prevent you from getting an 83+ average.

keep in mind, mac offers additional life sci spots to health sci applicants that don't make it, all of who have 90%+ averages.

even if you take calc and get a mark >75 and 2 other courses with 85 each, that will be an 82 average...and its unlikely that it would make it.

what im trying to say is take calc and 2 other courses and DESTROY THEM for midterm of 2nd semester... cause mac is a good science school and it would benefit you for the next 4 years to go

(btw...if you understand the concept...calc is WAAAAAAAAAAY easier than ad functions...you just need to know the derivative rules...keep that in mind...derivative rules lol)

sanahsameen says thanks to amir.k for this post.
Old 12-24-2008 at 12:51 AM   #14
conradchi

keep in mind, mac offers additional life sci spots to health sci applicants that don't make it, all of who have 90%+ averages

But also remember that since health sci gets their admissions in May, so the ones that accept that will be opening up more of those spots for life sci =)
Old 12-24-2008 at 01:04 AM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir.k View Post
btw...if you understand the concept...calc is WAAAAAAAAAAY easier than ad functions...you just need to know the derivative rules...keep that in mind...derivative rules lol
Be aware that this course can vary extremely depending on the high school your in. Since it's a brand new course, I've noticed that the standards haven't really been set in yet. My school was about average, and ours was pretty half and half (half vectors, half calculus). Some other schools made it easier though and spent nearly the entire time on calculus and maybe a week or so on vectors.

Generally, people found the calculus component easier, since all you are learning is basic derivative rules and stuff (I recommend looking up derivatives in your math book or on the internet during your break, they are not too difficult to understand, and it will save you A LOT of confusion during the term, thus giving you a better chance of killing the course).

On a side note, I'm in engineering, which is a pretty huge faculty for first year. Some of my friends who just barely made the minimum average (like literally on the dot) got in. So I'm guessing (this is just a theory), McMaster tends to let in the majority who makes the cut-off.

While on the topic of Engineering, you could always apply for that and then try to switch to life sci. You average should be high enough for that. Engineering is supposed to be unique in the sense that you can switch to pretty much anything from it.