MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Into Life Sciences!!! meikaelahmad Academics 42 08-11-2010 12:10 PM
Life Sciences dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-29-2009 08:14 PM

Will I get into Life Sciences?

Old 12-24-2008 at 03:52 AM   #16
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Be aware that this course can vary extremely depending on the high school your in. Since it's a brand new course, I've noticed that the standards haven't really been set in yet. My school was about average, and ours was pretty half and half (half vectors, half calculus). Some other schools made it easier though and spent nearly the entire time on calculus and maybe a week or so on vectors.
This is true.

Adding to this train of thought, I recall reading in McLean's last year that Waterloo is one of the few universities that keeps tabs on each high school, and the success of their graduates in first year of university. So when choosing students, Waterloo will pick from most successful high schools. This however, does not apply to McMaster.

Like others have mentioned, if you want to guarantee entrance into this program, get that average up, and it's basically the only way. There are no supplementary applications.

sanahsameen says thanks to macsci for this post.
Old 12-24-2008 at 09:38 AM   #17
sanahsameen

Liked: 0 Times

Im going to try really hard after this break is over!!!!! When I was at the Ontario Universites Fair i asked one of the health scie representitives if they automatically put people into life sci if they do not make it to health sci, and he said they dont do that any more. He said they used to do that, and now you must apply to life sci as a separate choice, if you apply to health sci and want to go into life sci if u dont get in. Is this true? And yeah, I'm hoping to bring up that advanced functions mark, and try realllyyyyy hard in calc. They will take the highest mark of the two math courses, so the lowest one will be gone. My 6 highest wil be from: Bio, Chem, Physics, Eng, Exersice Sci, and either AdvFun or Calc.

Also, someone mentioned that if i apply to engineering then switch to life sci, does that mean that i stay in enginerring for year 1 and then transfer to life sci after that year is over. If thats what it means, will it mean that i miss a year of life sci and will have to stay 1 extra year. I mean how does this transfereing thing work?

Also, what careers can go into directly upon 4 years of Life Sci? And hospital careers? What is the Physicians Assistant program offered at Mac, is it good? and is it hard or compettive to get into?
Old 12-24-2008 at 09:49 AM   #18
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I think health sci admissions is no longer giving rejected health sci applicants as many (if any...) life sciences offers because life sciences is now a limited enrollment program. In the past we had Science I, the generic science program, which had a lot of space. There is a possibility that you might have to apply to both separately now. You'd need to double check that with health sci admissions.

Engineering is more specialized than life sciences. You don't need as many courses to make up for the life science requirements. Depending on what you took as an engineer you might not have to "miss a year of life sci", but you may be behind a few credits. To transfer, you just have to make sure you have all the courses that people in the same program and level have.

Life sci can prepare you for a very broad range of careers, including health care, if that's what you're thinking about. The new Physician's Assistant program (opened only this year) only admits about 20 people a year so it is likely pretty competitive. As for whether or not it's good...I think it's too new to determine right now.

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/physicianassistant/

sanahsameen says thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 12-24-2008 at 10:06 AM   #19
sanahsameen

thanks for your help!
Old 12-24-2008 at 10:24 AM   #20
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

the cut off is determined based on the number of people who apply and what their marks are. if there were 10000 people who applied to life sci with a 90 average then the cut off would move up significantly because they only have so much space. they also factor in a predicted number of people who acutally accept the admissions offer.
Old 12-26-2008 at 08:40 PM   #21
canuster

Liked: 1 Time

at mcmaster in the science program, getting in is fairly easy, staying in is a totally different story. I've seen students with 85% entrance averages drop out from first year science. Ask yourself, if your struggling to get in, will you stay in? Opt to another university, brock or guelph, just reality, sorry.
Old 12-26-2008 at 09:01 PM   #22
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanahsameen View Post
Do you think i should woory a lot about getting in?
Are my chances good, if I continue with maintaining these marks?
And do you know if they still accpept you if u are below the cut off?
Im just worried, because im really confused about what i want to do, and what programs i should apply to
Your chances at this point aren't determinable at this point, as your final marks are whats really important.
Acceptance below cut off may be possible depending on number of students accepted/applied.

At this point, don't worry yourself too much. Even if you do have the marks now, there's still second semester and they may put that into consideration as well. And even if you don't make it in, just be sure to apply to other programs/universities as well. You'd be surprised how often people find things to be interesting outside of what they originally thought. Even in university, there are students who switch out because of an interesting elective that shed new light to where they want to be in the future. That's just my suggestion.
Old 12-31-2008 at 10:17 PM   #23
sanahsameen

I am now thinking of repeating the advanced functions course next semester since it is my lowest mark. If i do it again i will likely do better and this will bring my average up. I havespace to do it and then my courses will be
Calc and Vectors 12
English 12
Chem 12
Adv Func 12 (again)

Mac takes the highest mark for repeated courses, right? And this doesnt decrease my chances of getting in?

Will it be a good idea to take it again. I will already know all the concept and can improve my marks.
Old 01-02-2009 at 02:10 PM   #24
sanahsameen

is reapeating advanced functions a good idea, becuase it is the only mark which is bringing my average down. Im getting around a 70 or less, and in other courses my marks are above 80
Old 01-02-2009 at 03:28 PM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
is repeating advanced functions a good idea, because it is the only mark which is bringing my average down. Im getting around a 70 or less, and in other courses my marks are above 80
Well, I wouldn't decide to do that just yet if I were you. Since they only take your calculus or functions mark, I would just try really hard in calculus and vectors. if you still screw that up, you could always do another semester of high school. A lot of my friends are doing that.

sanahsameen says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 01-02-2009 at 06:08 PM   #26
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
is reapeating advanced functions a good idea, becuase it is the only mark which is bringing my average down. Im getting around a 70 or less, and in other courses my marks are above 80
In high school I was never big on the whole "repeat a course" in school or in night school. Your best bet is not to waste your time taking the course again when you can use the extra time you have to work harder on the courses you are currently taking. Also, if you have elective spaces then take mark boaster courses to help.

Just keep working hard!
Old 01-02-2009 at 11:30 PM   #27
jaucep

If you REALLY want to go to mac and want a guaranteed acceptance without worrying your best bet is to apply for environmental sciences. you only need a 78% average. basically what happens is you have to take two envir sci courses first year (which are super easy) and since you are already in the faculty of science you can take all the courses someone in life sciences would take. then, when you apply for your major it can be life sciences or anything else like biology or chemistry.
i'd highly recommend applying to envir sci and life sci so you can get it, but if you don't, you have a safety net.
Old 01-03-2009 at 09:33 AM   #28
sanahsameen

What if i screw up calc and vectors. I probably will considering that i am doing horrible in adv functions. I know they will tke the higher mark of the two maths, but the thing is im pretty sure i will not end with 90's or high 80's in calc. I would be able to get a really good mark in adv func if i do it again since i already did the course once. In adv functions i actually understand all the concepts and just screw up on the tests :S So thats why i am considering taking adv functions again, and then i wont really have to worry toooo much about calc. They will obv take the higher mark and im pretty sure i will be able to do bettter in adv functions the secind time compared to calc. Does that make sense or am I just repeating myself. Also, the tests and assnignments wll be similar to the ones in first sem if i take it again in second sem.

So basically, wouldnt it be reasonable that i would do better in advfunctions (the second time) and then they will use the higher one. I might screw up in calc (which is highly probable) and then wont get in to any life sci programs. i dont want to spend another sem or year.
Old 01-03-2009 at 10:47 PM   #29
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

Calculus is definitely related to Advanced Functions but at the same time I found them two completely different ball games. Remember you also have the vectors aspect for half of the calculus course which is entirely different as well. Also, calculus is just a whole lot more on differentiation which you may find easier.

If you think that you will be able to do better by retaking the course by all means retake it. I just think that spending the extra time to repeat a course really can interfere with the time you could use to do well in other courses.

You still have the exam left though so one month can change a lot.
Old 02-24-2009 at 09:00 AM   #30
pjohnson
Liaison Officer - Registrar's Office

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradchi View Post
keep in mind, mac offers additional life sci spots to health sci applicants that don't make it, all of who have 90%+ averages

But also remember that since health sci gets their admissions in May, so the ones that accept that will be opening up more of those spots for life sci =)
Just thought I would jump in here to clear up some confusion. Each year, the university will establish official 'cut-off' averages required for admission for each Level I Program. The exceptions are those programs (like B.Health Sci. and Arts &Science Program) which consider both grades and a supplementary application form in the admissions process.
Once an official cut-off is established, every student who achieves this average (and has all the required courses for the program) are given an offer of admission.
So if the university determines (based on number of applicants and quality of the applicant pool) that a cut-off for a specific program is say 80%, then every student at this average or above would be made an offer of admission.
Please keep in mind that admission averages are calculated based on your top six grade 12 U/M courses including those required for admission to the program you applied to at McMaster.
Hope this helps. If you have more admisison type questions you can always visit": www.maciq.ca for the answers.

sanahsameen says thanks to pjohnson for this post.