MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Into Life Sciences!!! meikaelahmad Academics 42 08-11-2010 12:10 PM
Life Sciences dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-29-2009 08:14 PM

Im hoping for Life Sciences at McMaster

Old 09-02-2010 at 05:50 AM   #16
meikaelahmad

Liked: 0 Times

What do you guys think would be a good phone number to call to talk about getting into this program can someone please give me the phone number to the right person so I know who to talk to, especially since you guys are at Mac im sure you know a number! thanks, I need some things explained!!!
Old 09-02-2010 at 10:00 PM   #17
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

You can use [email protected] (I don't have a phone number on me), but they are probably busy with student issues. Maybe you can ask you questions here? If your concerned with getting in: 1.What's your average, roughly (if you don't mind telling us)? If you are a good four or five points above the cutoff, you should be okay to get in. 2. Your Biology mark was a bit weak, and you said you found it hard (I'm guessing the subject matter). This is under the assumption that you are considering, as a Life Sci student, to do a lot of Bio/maybe major in it. An 80 in high school, especially considering the average cutoff (for all six) is pushing up to ~87 seems low for a key subject like that. Maybe you might consider other areas? Psychology, environmental science and chemistry are worth considering (check the Level I programs).* *Made a few assumptions, sorry, but just trying to be helpful.

Last edited by britb : 09-02-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2010 at 10:10 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
You can use [email protected] (I don't have a phone number on me), but they are probably busy with student issues. Maybe you can ask you questions here? If your concerned with getting in: 1.What's your average, roughly (if you don't mind telling us)? If you are a good four or five points above the cutoff, you should be okay to get in. 2. Your Biology mark was a bit weak, and you said you found it hard (I'm guessing the subject matter). This is under the assumption that you are considering, as a Life Sci student, to do a lot of Bio/maybe major in it. An 80 in high school, especially considering the average cutoff (for all six) is pushing up to ~87 seems low for a key subject like that. Maybe you might consider other areas? Psychology, environmental science and chemistry are worth considering (check the Level I programs).* *Made a few assumptions, sorry, but just trying to be helpful.
It's extension 27590.
Old 09-03-2010 at 11:07 AM   #19
JosieGutierr

Liked: 0 Times

There is no human intereference with the selection of lifescience student. It's just the students with highest averages will be accepted. So your extracurriculars will be of no advantage in terms of admissions, but keep it up anyways.
In the same way, students who took calc in highschool will not be of better standing.
But I suggest you take calculus anways, because if you don't you will have to take the equivilent in university (and pay for the course too)
Just study hard, aim for 88 - 90% average. Oh and you can retake biology if you want for an ungraded mark
Good luck
I am in life sciences