MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 hours straight of class mcmaster12 Academics 11 08-12-2010 11:17 AM

I'm just going to be straight up about this…

Old 03-08-2011 at 10:03 PM   #61
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Don't we know it.

EDIT: Oh wait, do you know that that means?
Alright, now you're a jerk.
Old 03-08-2011 at 10:10 PM   #62
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Alright, now you're a jerk.
No, I was actually being serious. I'm not a jerk.
Old 03-08-2011 at 10:11 PM   #63
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
No, I was actually being serious. I'm not a jerk.
I assumed you were ragging on me. In that case, my response is "yes." I moved here when I was 5.
Old 03-08-2011 at 11:43 PM   #64
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Thank you, Mathew!

Unfortunately, my plans to eradicate people whose common sense is what I refer to as "below acceptable levels" would likely be seen as "over the line." Pish posh, am I right?

Forget the fact that it took me roughly 15 minutes to be able to respond to this message because a grand total of 12 people logging onto the McMaster server at once seems to be able to completely wipe out any chance of a page loading within an hour. Forget the fact that, although the situation has been "fixed," I'm still missing the Avenue pages for four of my courses, and all I've been able to do on it for the last two days is receive spam mail from people asking 500-person classes to listen to their sexually degrading and mind-numbingly out of tune music. And paying 4 dollars for the burnt muffin I'm eating? Not a problem.

Idiots are the smallpox of the 21st century. Fix them first (and then bitter people, like myself).
More points to your platform. Oh, what potential!

alh24 says thanks to Watoko for this post.

alh24 likes this.
Old 03-08-2011 at 11:51 PM   #65
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Haven't read any other post yet, except the first. But, did you have the balls to say anything... instead of posting on the forums? I find that to be a trend here...

sinthusized likes this.
Old 03-09-2011 at 07:12 AM   #66
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Well some people commute from quite a distance away, and no university program actually requires you to study more than a few hours per day, so where should people remain the rest of the time?

I know people who have 3-4 hours of class on a specific day but have to stay on campus for 8-9 hours.

The student centre? That place is horrible - there's barely anywhere to sit, no proper desks that aren't being used, etc. To set up someone's laptop and papers and textbooks, they need a desk, and where better to get a desk than a free classroom or a library?

I think the problem is people on res and off campus (meaning 5-10 minute bus ride) don't like working at home, for some stupid reason, so they go to the library trying to work for 60 mins in between a class and get distracted by people talking because they can afford Beats headphones but don't like "listening to music while studying".

Maybe the people there that are on Facebook are ****ing bored because they have to sit in Thode or Mills for 4 hours, and no one is going to be doing work for 4 hrs straight without uttering a single word to another soul or checking the Internet for non-work related information.

Meanwhile people come in and complain that they can't work for 40 mins until their next class in the LIBRARY when their houses are 10 mins away from campus.

Libraries at University (or perhaps just at McMaster) have nothing to do with quiet studying. Learn to embrace it.

Of course it's annoying when 3-4 people are talking and the entire room is trying to study, but more often than not there's 3-4 people trying to study while the rest are talking. Maybe those quiet people should leave and find a new place, because clearly just because Mills and Thode say "library" it doesn't mean everyone has to shut up for hours at a time.

The point is, there are ample quiet places to study, including your home, empty classrooms, and apparently a **** ton of other places. But of course, it makes sense to kick out 100 people on the main floor of Thode who occasionally visit Facebook and YouTube and play cards so the 10 people who actually work don't have to put in headphones, right? All this because its called a "Library".

Mahratta, Rakim like this.
Old 03-09-2011 at 07:34 AM   #67
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Why do people use so many abbreviations? D:

What the hell is LC?
Old 03-09-2011 at 07:37 AM   #68
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Yes, you could do any of these things...

A. Tell them to go away.
B. Go away.
C. Put on your headphones

But I find this one works too...

1. Pick up cell phone.
2. Pretend to call friend or call friend.
3. Start swearing very loudly about the lack of consideration of your company. The key is to get more and more enraged, and never stop swearing. Then end with, "I'm too angry to talk. If I don't calm down, I'll just smack somebody." and put the phone down.
4. Never make eye contact with anybody while talking on the phone.
5. Put the phone down and stare at everybody staring at you. Scowl.
6. If you can muster it up, make eye contact with the most inconsiderate individual there, and growl a "What?"

Worked when 20 people slammed themselves into me in a line where I was waiting first for 20 minutes.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-09-2011 at 07:49 AM   #69
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post

Meanwhile people come in and complain that they can't work for 40 mins until their next class in the LIBRARY when their houses are 10 mins away from campus.

Libraries at University (or perhaps just at McMaster) have nothing to do with quiet studying. Learn to embrace it.

Of course it's annoying when 3-4 people are talking and the entire room is trying to study, but more often than not there's 3-4 people trying to study while the rest are talking. Maybe those quiet people should leave and find a new place, because clearly just because Mills and Thode say "library" it doesn't mean everyone has to shut up for hours at a time.

The point is, there are ample quiet places to study, including your home, empty classrooms, and apparently a **** ton of other places. But of course, it makes sense to kick out 100 people on the main floor of Thode who occasionally visit Facebook and YouTube and play cards so the 10 people who actually work don't have to put in headphones, right? All this because its called a "Library".
that only applies to the parts that aren't specifically designated quiet study areas, like first floor thode mills lc etc, if you actually go to the quiet areas the vast majority of people are studying. I think people should have to shut up for hours at a time if they choose to spend their time in the quiet area of the library.

alh24 says thanks to brendanp for this post.

alh24 likes this.
Old 03-09-2011 at 10:51 PM   #70
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Lol people are so much tougher on the internets.
Old 03-09-2011 at 10:52 PM   #71
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
1. Pick up cell phone.
2. Pretend to call friend or call friend.
3. Start swearing very loudly about the lack of consideration of your company. The key is to get more and more enraged, and never stop swearing. Then end with, "I'm too angry to talk. If I don't calm down, I'll just smack somebody." and put the phone down.
4. Never make eye contact with anybody while talking on the phone.
5. Put the phone down and stare at everybody staring at you. Scowl.
6. If you can muster it up, make eye contact with the most inconsiderate individual there, and growl a "What?"

Worked when 20 people slammed themselves into me in a line where I was waiting first for 20 minutes.
weirdo
Old 03-09-2011 at 11:23 PM   #72
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
Lol people are so much tougher on the internets.
evidently, yourself included.
Old 03-10-2011 at 06:23 AM   #73
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

I've had an issue with this once and I decided to say "excuse me (didn't get their attention).... excuse me... could you keep it down a bit?" dude was polite and all like oh yeah sorry... i think the other people in that study area appreciated it
Old 03-10-2011 at 07:49 AM   #74
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
I've had an issue with this once and I decided to say "excuse me (didn't get their attention).... excuse me... could you keep it down a bit?" dude was polite and all like oh yeah sorry... i think the other people in that study area appreciated it
I just hate when people talk in class. I'll ask them to stop talking, and they usually do, but it's awkward if you realize AFTER you said it that one of them is in your tutorial. Then they glare at you the rest of the semester.