MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When is Deferred Exam Grade Release? islytt Academics 1 06-24-2010 07:09 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM
On a lighter note.. let's do a "get to know each other" thread =D killza First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 205 07-06-2009 08:31 PM
Colbert's "Holiday Thread Down"! Chad General Discussion 3 12-01-2006 11:26 PM

The "I'm Lonely" Thread.

Old 09-04-2008 at 08:37 AM   #16
Zachary Stro

Liked: 0 Times

I'm living off-campus and I have had no problem meeting anybody in the past few days. Not sure what you mean by cliques, but there's really no such thing that I've seen.

The whole point of Welcome Week is to meet people. So just go and ask people what faculty/residence they're in, and just, you know, have a nice conversation from there. It's not that hard and there's no excuse NOT to do it, because everyone's looking to meet new people.
Old 09-04-2008 at 08:40 AM   #17
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Stro View Post
I'm living off-campus and I have had no problem meeting anybody in the past few days. Not sure what you mean by cliques, but there's really no such thing that I've seen.

The whole point of Welcome Week is to meet people. So just go and ask people what faculty/residence they're in, and just, you know, have a nice conversation from there. It's not that hard and there's no excuse NOT to do it, because everyone's looking to meet new people.
i LOVE SOCS!! and im SOOOOOOOO glad im living off campus.

GO BEAVERS!!
Old 09-04-2008 at 12:42 PM   #18
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippi View Post
Can I ask why? I used to be involved in the planning of WW and always was looking for people who specifically weren't happy with it, just because I think you can learn a lot more from them than those who are always out going at 110% for the entire week. I know several of the current planners read this board, so maybe they'll take your concerns into consideration for next year!
One of my biggest issues with it is that, at least at the beginning of the week, there was just too much going on! like, I moved in on saturday, I was up at 6am that morning to pack my stuff in the car, got to mac, was unpacked and ready to go by 4:30 that night, then we had a rez dinner, welcome week opening ceremonies, and a floor level meeting that went to 11pm!!! We were so tired!!! then the next day there was a 8:00am wake up call for pancakes!! I know they're just trying to make people have fun and give an opportunity to meet new people, but c'mon! We're only human, we need sleep!!
Old 09-04-2008 at 01:05 PM   #19
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

...So, who wants to do something today...
Old 09-04-2008 at 01:17 PM   #20
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Stro View Post

I totally agree with you that it's not hard to meet people, I've met people in classes already and it's only been the first day. I just think it's easier for some people to meet other people in different settings, because everyone is different.
Old 09-04-2008 at 02:10 PM   #21
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

It's not really TOO too hard to meet people during lectures and stuff, but it's always harder during breaks. You never know if someone you met in a class will have a different break than you thereby making it impossible for them to hang out between classes lol
Old 09-04-2008 at 03:59 PM   #22
wintermelon

Well, it also depends on your classes and your schedule and who you just happen to be sitting next to. Some people are more friendly than others or some people you simply may not like. And it's definitely a lot harder for people like me who are living off-campus, where you don't have many opportunities to socialize with others.
Old 09-04-2008 at 05:34 PM   #23
Gallaj

Hi everyone! I wish that you were all having more fun! I know that Welcome Week can be a little overwhelming, and the lack of sleep is definitely difficult n(but remember, it's just one week!), but there are a lot of smaller "low key" events that are happening throughout the week. One example of this is the Amazing Race. You will be separated into residence groups with a maximum of 8 people in your group. Although the event is a race and will involve a lot of energy, it allows you to leave campus and explore the greater Hamilton community (and McMaster) while surrounded by only a few people, making interaction a lot easier! Also, within your residence halls, there are smaller events such as ice cream socials, walks in Cootes Paradise, move nights, etc. I hope this helps, and let me know if there's anything we can do to make your week the BEST week possible!!!
Old 09-04-2008 at 09:16 PM   #24
homeskillet

Liked: 11 Times

yeey! i love that this thread exists.. im not the only one chilling in my room! i find it easy enough going up and talking to people what/res/program etc etc blah blah blah and all that, but i guess i find it all a bit superficial and tiresome, theres only so many times u can ask the same questions!
i also think there needs to be more events in welcome week that are less.. i dono, camp like? like the coffee house night was really good, u could just relax and chat with people
Old 09-04-2008 at 09:31 PM   #25
spiotrowski

I agree lol, I feel lonerish sitting in my room too haha, I didn't go to faculty night so that's why.
yawwwn, i had homework tonight too.
boooo.
Old 09-04-2008 at 09:53 PM   #26
thatdudeukno

Who wants to play some frikkin badminton?
EDIT: I am also not a child predator.
Old 09-04-2008 at 10:02 PM   #27
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

I agree with people here...
A. There's cliques especially @ SOCS.Almost everyone is from a high school and has a group and its very hard to break in. And if you don't see cliques you're blind or just part of one.
B. I agree you get tired of asking the same Q's to everyone over and over again but you have to do it if you want to make friends.

And well to the person who plans WW. Make it more fun. Try watching Frosh videos of other universities.Divide people into smaller groups and have nothing at the Faculty hollow at night. The bugs kill us (atleast me). Have stuff indoors. Now I can't suggest places cause I'm not too familiar. I missed the Oath ceremony cause it wasnt listed in the schedule. Make a proper list please.Have physically active events from 5-8 and not in the afternoon. Do you even have any idea how many people are complaining of sunburns?
Anyways I dont think you need a WW to make friends. You just need one to have fun which I definately ain't having. But considering I got a 25$ SOCS membership and three T-shirts(I got an MSU one too) for 35$ I'm not complaining. But people on-campus paid like 75 or 85 bucks so they definately need their money's worth.

P.S. I <3 IRIS , MAC Connector & Airbands
Old 09-04-2008 at 10:08 PM   #28
Gallaj

Hi again! I agree with the bugs..they are unbelievable this year! However, we have to keep in mind that there are only so many hours in a day, and we want to get in as many diverse events as we possibly can. If you're looking for something that involves being physically active, there is an event called "TryMAC" on Saturday from 2:00-6:00pm, where you get free access to the Pulse. Be sure to check that out! From what I've heard, students living in residence are enjoying themselves (on the whole), but obviously it's difficult for you to comment on that since you have only experienced Welcome Week from a SOCS perspective. I truly hope that the week gets better for you! Thank you for the feedback!
Old 09-04-2008 at 10:09 PM   #29
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
a bit superficial and tiresome, theres only so many times u can ask the same questions!
this is exactly how I felt a lot, especially the fist day with all the rezs
the announcer went too fast for any real discussion, for instance you know that meet with these ppl a month from now? and we had barely gotten past names and were going to what faculty so we never even got to try to talk about that :(

I'd recommend a little less or more time for that one next year.

its not bad though they prob dont want any awkward pauses in the conversation right? like if you dont click at all, but if you do click with the person there's not much time to talk

and o yes, Airbands and Karaoke have definitely been the highlights

Last edited by Kareko : 09-04-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling and additions :)
Old 09-04-2008 at 10:13 PM   #30
wintermelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
Who wants to play some frikkin badminton?
EDIT: I am also not a child predator.
I'd be up for that.

evansj6 says thanks to wintermelon for this post.