MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do ask a hot girl without being scared BeAll_EndAll General Discussion 23 02-27-2011 09:56 AM
I am scared I will be kicked out HELP PLEASE scrapsy Academics 11 11-25-2010 06:55 PM
So scared what do i do... BT23 Academics 11 07-02-2009 03:45 AM

I'm scared of Rita Cossa

Old 07-22-2012 at 03:26 PM   #1
Unregistered

I'm scared of Rita Cossa
Is she that bad.... I read reviews about her on ratemyprofessor.com and people say she's a devil and that her reports are a killer. I'm going onto first year commerce in September and I am really terrified... how bad is she and how many people fail her class? I want to make it to 2nd year please console me.... please. I want to be prepared.
Old 07-22-2012 at 03:43 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

I heard she has like a 50 page manual for referencing. I heard she is also not teaching marketing this year.
Old 07-22-2012 at 03:57 PM   #3
key5

Liked: 0 Times

good luck guys
Old 07-22-2012 at 03:57 PM   #4
Unregistered

really??? Who is teaching Commerce 1E03 is it Cossa???
Old 07-22-2012 at 04:20 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
really??? Who is teaching Commerce 1E03 is it Cossa???
Profs can change until term 2, but according to this:
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
Cossa is the prof for 1e03 in term 2 :/

If you want to know the prof for a particular class, just enter the course code and hit enter. Multiple courses with the same course code will show up, so just go with the course that you want. As I said, things can change from now until term 2, don't lose hope !
Good luck !
Old 07-22-2012 at 04:21 PM   #6
MIpolice

Liked: 12 Times

have fun writing the report. thats all i gotta say.

dsouzajj2010 likes this.
Old 07-22-2012 at 04:32 PM   #7
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Regardless of who the prof is the marking will remain the same. I tried bypassing the wrath of Cossa for second year marketing by taking it with Johnson. The marking of the reports was exactly the same and as an addition his tests were harder. Cossa in comparison is not that bad.
Old 07-22-2012 at 04:42 PM   #8
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Cossa is not bad. People think that they can just slack off and get a good grade in the report. This won't happen.
If you mess up, she will dock marks for it, she will destroy you. Same with second year marketing. But let me assure you, the way she teaches you is vital, and, although she seems a bit harder, she will prepare you for other courses/upper years.
Do your job, follow her resources (50pg referencing book, Innis, emails, etc.). it is not impossible to get 90's on her report and get a decent grade.

It's university, get over it.
Old 07-22-2012 at 05:38 PM   #9
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

hahahaha Cossa, easiest tests and exams ever, and she is a brilliant teacher, though she is ONE BIG B*T*H. I hate the way she intimidates some students and is overly judgmental. She is quite full of herself as well and needs to get over that. Just worry about the report, it dropped me from a mid 80 to a B+
Old 07-22-2012 at 05:47 PM   #10
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salik View Post
I hate the way she intimidates some students and is overly judgmental. She is quite full of herself as well and needs to get over that.
Welcome to first year university, folks.

Chris23 likes this.
Old 07-22-2012 at 06:14 PM   #11
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I bet she seemingly gets "more and more difficult year after year" because first years are coming out of an easier and easier high school system, where zeros are illegal, and teachers have to spoon feed answers...

J. Dorey, RyanC like this.
Old 07-22-2012 at 06:44 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Is this the prof that will literally give you negative 50 out of 100 on tests/assignments?
Old 07-22-2012 at 08:17 PM   #13
sarah2874

Liked: 13 Times

I'm going into second year commerce, so my experience with her in 1E03 is still fresh in my mind, and to be honest with you, she wasn't that bad. I remember feeling the same way as you when I looked at ratemyprof before starting her class, but she wasn't nearly as bad as people made her seem. Her report IS ridiculously hard, but its a good way to learn about how to do university reports. And as long as you actually put in the work, you should be able to do fine (my group put in about 3-4 hours per week from the start, and we got a 73%. Not the best mark considering how much work we got in, but decent enough to prove that its possible to do well. While some people do get negative, those are typically the people who didn't even bother to start until a week before it was due).
I also want to point out that, at least for last year, the report was only worth 10% of your grade (and presenting it is worth another 5%, though that was marked much easier). The rest of your marks come from midterms and the exam, which were incredibly easy in my opinion. They were all multiple choice and she didn't ask any of the annoying "all/none of the above" questions that usually kill people on MC tests. The questions were really straight forward and came either directly from her lecture or the text. I got an 11 (or A) in the course because of the midterms and exam. My biggest advice to you would be to GO TO EVERY SINGLE CLASS. She will ask the class "practice test questions" from her lecture, and I'd recommend copying them down because many of them will actually appear on the tests. Also, going to class is important because she stresses certain things that the book might not, and those things will also be on the test.
In summary, read your textbook, go to class, and actually make an effort on the report (start early! not the week before its due) and you should have no problem getting a good mark. Cossa is intimidating, and doesn't have the warmest personality, but she's a great prof. I learned a lot from her and I know I'm not the only one who walked out of her class on the final day actually wishing that I would have her again next year. Anyways, study hard and good luck (not that you'll need it of course! )
Old 07-22-2012 at 08:17 PM   #14
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Is this the prof that will literally give you negative 50 out of 100 on tests/assignments?
yea, i heard stories about her giving negative marks on the reports. If you end up with a negative mark it's still only a 0, she just wants to rub it in your face that you failed badly.

Faer, Snowman like this.
Old 07-22-2012 at 09:05 PM   #15
unclekraker

Liked: 2 Times

The content of the course/report is not hard. The report ends up being a handful of pages which in university is not much. The reason people get terrible marks on the report is because they don't take the time or allocate enough time to make sure formatting is perfect. If you put the time forward to go through the formatting document, you will do fine. Be a leader and volunteer to do it yourself to make sure its done right.