MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do ask a hot girl without being scared BeAll_EndAll General Discussion 23 02-27-2011 09:56 AM
I am scared I will be kicked out HELP PLEASE scrapsy Academics 11 11-25-2010 06:55 PM
So scared what do i do... BT23 Academics 11 07-02-2009 03:45 AM

I'm scared of Rita Cossa

Old 07-22-2012 at 09:08 PM   #16
Raneem

Liked: 1 Time

Hey,
Well I'm going to second year commerce as well, and so the class 1E03 is still quite fresh..
To start off, I was in the exact same position as you too when reading and hearing all about professor Cossa. But honestly, I agree with Sarah. She's a great professor, yes intimidating, quite strict and the report rubric is quite hard BUT overall she knew what she was talking about, she knew what she was teaching and in reality, she pretty much points out what you need to know for your mid terms/exams if you went to lecture.
So I definitely recommend that you attend every lecture, and copy down practice questions she gives (they do turn up similar, if not exactly, the same on the mid terms/exam) Read the textbook, but like she says, only read in the textbook, what she goes over. So something she never talked about (like a whole new topic, then ignore it)

And as for the report, well our own TA was scaring us saying how hard it is; but in all honesty, the trick to the report was starting it early and proofreading A LOT. You had to make sure you followed the format she wanted, so what my group and I did was we got one of the group members to print out the 50 or so page of referencing and all, and we just followed it for the formatting. But also the other trick to this is you can't have everyone doing their own part and then putting it together. She wants it to flow, making it seem like one person wrote it. So again my suggestion would be each member gets a part, and gets as much information on that part (don't let them write anything, just get websites and such) and then get together every other day or so, and write it all together.

And leave at least 2 days for proofreading. We ended up with an 85%. Not the greatest thing, but we were definitely the highest in our class. And again just goes to show u, it really isn't that hard. You just have to start it early and oh make sure to have good and dedicated group members!

so yeah, i know its a long post, but start report early, attend every lecture, read the textbook, leave at least 2 days for proofreading and well you're guaranteed at least a 9 if not a 10 and above!
Old 07-22-2012 at 10:44 PM   #17
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

In my experience, the intimidating, difficult, etc. profs that I've had throughout the last two years (Horn, Ouellette, Brophy, for example) have been my favourites.
Old 07-22-2012 at 10:50 PM   #18
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Don't listen to people's doomsday stories about Cossa. I got a 12 (A+) in 1E03 and was also a TA for the class in my fourth year, and she's fine. Her tests are pure memorization so depending on your memory retention abilities, that can be an easy mark booster.

As for the report, you're going to likely do poorly, but that's not so much the fault of prof as it is 99% of the students in the class thinking they are still in high school and not worrying about following instructions.

Seriously, all you need to do is follow instructions and you'll do fine. Unfortunately, no one (or at least few) does that.

And for the record, the class has changed significantly since the earlier years where you could get -100% aka 0% on the report. Now deductions are capped, so don't expect worse than 50% unless you really didn't put any effort into it at all.

RyanC likes this.
Old 07-23-2012 at 12:14 AM   #19
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Welcome to first year university, folks.
what do you mean. i didnt experience any intimidating and overly judgmental profs in first year uni.

Galleria likes this.
Old 07-31-2012 at 12:39 PM   #20
dsouzajj2010

Liked: Liked 2 Times

wanna know something that makes her less scary:
- shes not a phd holder
- she has her b.comm and mba
- shes just a lecturer

dont be scared of some chick thats a lecturer!
be scared of a phd holder who skips the pointless intimidations and straight up fails you